Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Outfield

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

With the recent trades of Fuld and Willingham the Twins outfield is...well...pretty brutal.  The only two on the roster who deserve close to every day at bats are: Santana and Arcia. In a perfect world we would have Santana getting some reps at SS in order to prepare him for a potential move there in 2015. If I was running the team I would do the following:

-Bring Hicks up in the next couple of weeks.

-The Parmelee era me thinks is coming to a quick end, try to send him back to AAA, if you lose him you lose him. I don't think he has a real place on this team moving forward anyways.

-Start giving Plouffe a few starts in the corner OF, it would be good to give him a few reps for when and if Sano comes up and plays 3B.

-If Buxton performs in AA over the next couple weeks, I think you bring him up to the majors in Sept for a few reasons: You get the fans excited for 2015, you give him some reps against major league pitchers, you put a better team on the field for Sept overall etc

-Escobar prob loses some at bats with Santana taking over at SS, however give him some starts as a super utility guy at 3rd base and maybe the occasional start in the corner OF as well. However I have been impressed on what he has done at SS overall this year.

I know its probably unlikely the Twins bring up Buxton, but it would be a nice sneak preview if he is able to hack it in AA and lord knows the Twins don't exactly have an embarrassment of riches in the OF at this point.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#2 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

I was just looking at the FA CF options to bridge to Buxton for 2015. There are...none. The only desirable one is Span and the Nats have an option they'll almost certainly exercise.

It seems the best solution, absent Buxton being the Opening Day CF is to leave Santana there until he's ready. I know it's not optimal, but Eduardo Escobar in the lineup is quite preferable to the CF options IMO.

The solution seems to be to bring in a moderately priced vet to play LF. The obvious option is Torii Hunter. He can still play a decent corner OF and is a decent bat. Being 39, he won't be outrageous salary-wise and 1 or 2 years will do it. If he struggles/gets hurt and Vargas/Pinto are swinging well, a Mauer move to the OF can be considered.

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins Mods
  • 6,200 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Parm hit the ball hard three times, one was foul, one was a leaping catch by the shortfielder plus a single. I don't think he's a future starter, but he can be a valuable player for a good team.
  • Stan Zbornak likes this

#4 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

I don't have any problems with the Willy trade but people need to stop acting like there are decent prospects to play out there.Maybe Hicks is up and plays every day but I'm not convinced that is the best for him.I like the idea of Buxton coming up for September but I don't see it happening with the importance of service time now.

And Arcia is currently injured.Schafer or Nunez with Parmelee is going to be getting starts out there.Awesome.

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#5 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

Parmalee will play almost every day from now until the end of the Year.When the year is over, we will have a good idea if Parmalee should be a regular.He certainly hits lefthanders well, his fielding is adequate and he has the potential to hit for regular power.He could put up numbers like Kubel and Cuddyer

• stringer bell likes this

#6 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

Parmalee will play almost every day from now until the end of the Year.When the year is over, we will have a good idea if Parmalee should be a regular.He certainly hits lefthanders well, his fielding is adequate and he has the potential to hit for regular power.He could put up numbers like Kubel and Cuddyer

You're kidding, right?

#7 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Drew Butera's Fastball

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:45 AM

I think Santana can handle CF, but he should also be getting reps at SS, at least once a week. Eduardo Escobar, who doesn't play stellar D, is not a black hole offensively, quite the opposite, and just continues to pound doubles. If Santana isn't playing SS, Escobar should be there. I don't understand Gardy continuing the put Nunez in at SS.

Back to the OF. Hopefully Hicks can take his hot hitting from AA and get soemthign going at the MLB level. I'm in no hurry to see him back in a Twins uniform, at least not until Rochester is done, bring him up in September.

With Willy and Fuld gone, guys like Parms, Arcia (when healthy) and maybe even Pinto should get some reps in the corners. If Pinto isn't a future catcher, getting him reps in the OF might be a wise idea, especially with DH/1B guys like Vargas, Arcia, Sano (?) coming up behind him.

CF is a tough spot. Hopefully Hicks responds and can be the bridge to Buxton, but let's pump the breaks on Bux just a bit. He just got moved to AA. If he does well there, let's get a bit crazier. It'll be fun to see him at ST next season.

I guess to sum it all up, I don't really care who the Twins throw out there as long as they are guys who could be part of the future, and it seems just about everyone is. Parms needs to play to see if the org wants to hold onto him this winter. And I do like the idea suggested above about getting Plouffe some reps in the corners too.

• VanceC likes this

Email the show: talktocontact@gmail.com

Mike Pelfrey is a Sasquatch

#8 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

Just say no to Pinto in the OF.He's a 20 runner on a 20-80 scale.

• Paul Pleiss likes this

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#9 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

I wonder if Mauer could play a few innings in RF? I think 1b should be his regular position, but it would allow Vargas to play 1b and Pinto to DH a few times later this year.

I had forgotten that Arica is hurt. This of is now even more brutal.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins Mods
  • 6,200 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

I am a Buxton believer ("Bux-liever"?), from what I've read, seen in person and heard from people who make their living watching baseball. I remain confident that he will make his debut sometime next year and not look back. Unfortunately, he is the surest thing amongst Twins outfielders. I would class Parmelee as not good enough to be a regular on a good team, I have said repeatedly that I don't believe Hicks will ever hit well enough to play regularly as a corner OF, Eddie Rosario is hitting .240 with a <.700 OPS at AA, AB Walker can't hit .250 in Single A and Arcia has not yet "found it" as a major league hitter. Maybe keeping Santana in center isn't a bad idea. Teach him to play left this spring.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,342 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

Believe it or not, Parmelee hasn't been that bad. Offensive numbers are down this season and he's putting up pretty similar numbers to Plouffe. As a short term stop gap, I'm fine letting him hold down the position in 2015 to see if he can improve on them. Same with Plouffe at 3B. The real decision will come when Sano is ready, at which point the Twins will have to dump one of the or move one to a utility role (which I think both can do quite well).

As for CF, I'd sign a guy like Span to a one year reclamantion deal for 2015 and hopefully be able to trade him near the deadline when someone is ready.

#12 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Parmelee had a nice hot streak and other than that he has been terrible.His numbers just continue to drop.At least he's going to get a lot of AB's during the next month and a half to make this obvious.

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 10,159 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

I'd keep Santana in CF. The Twins clearly don't think he's their future SS, or he'd be there right now. Until Buxton is up, Danny is the CF. When Buxton is up, move Santana to LF. If he hits like this (you never know), he's more than good enough to play LF in this era of offense. 

As for LF this year? I don't care all the much. Me, I'd have Plouffe in LF and RF (while Arcia is hurt), trying to become a player that can give them options off the bench next year (assuming Sano comes up at some time). 

I have no belief that Parmalee is a regular MLB player long term.

#14 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Assuming Hicks can continue his hot streak in AAA, I'd say promote him in September and let him man CF for the rest of the season. That would allow the team to move Santana back to SS.

I'm in no hurry to dump Parmelee, who has looked every bit a solid bench / role player this season. I'd give him a start in either corner for the rest of the season and then evaluate at season's end. Where the Twins outfield prospects are right now, I don't see someone else who is ready to move up and knock Parmelee out of his role just yet.

If Hicks bombs again and Buxton isn't ready at the beginning of 2015, Santana can hold the spot. Arcia takes RF while LF could be filled by Parmelee (if he proves he's ready this year) or via a free agent. Things may be a bit ugly right now, but the Twins have a lot of options coming their way in the near future.

#15 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Believe it or not, Parmelee hasn't been that bad. Offensive numbers are down this season and he's putting up pretty similar numbers to Plouffe. As a short term stop gap, I'm fine letting him hold down the position in 2015 to see if he can improve on them. Same with Plouffe at 3B. The real decision will come when Sano is ready, at which point the Twins will have to dump one of the or move one to a utility role (which I think both can do quite well).

As for CF, I'd sign a guy like Span to a one year reclamantion deal for 2015 and hopefully be able to trade him near the deadline when someone is ready.

I agree.  I don't think now is the time to completely give up on Parmelee.  He has never had a ton of consecutive playing time certainly not as much a Plouffe.  He just needs to lift that average and OPS a little and he is a solid corner OF.  Easier said than done I know but I think he can do it.  He also would be a good 4th outfielder and bench bat as he play a corner spot and 1st base and has a home run swing for the late innings as a pinch hitter.  I'm still a believer until he completely disappoints me or we have something significantly better.

#16 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 10,159 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

I'd love it if they signed melky......but I can't see them outbidding the Yankees or TX or Seattle.

#17 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

I wonder if Mauer could play a few innings in RF? I think 1b should be his regular position, but it would allow Vargas to play 1b and Pinto to DH a few times later this year.

I had forgotten that Arica is hurt. This of is now even more brutal.

If it were a video game, that's definitely how I would manage it, moving Mauer to a corner OF spot.  A lineup that includes Vargas, Pinto, Suzuki, Mauer, Dozier, Santana, Arcia (when healthy), Plouffe, and Escobar.  At the very least, I don't think opposing pitchers would want to groove a meatball to any of them.

Reality is that I think Gardy would hesitate to have the perceived team cornerstone picking up a new position in the last few months.  Maybe he'll prove me wrong though.  Who knows, I remember seeing someone on TD mentioning that Vargas wanted OF time back in AA.  I haven't seen many of his starts at 1B, but does he even move as well as Arcia/Hammer?

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,898 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

With the recent trades of Fuld and Willingham the Twins outfield is...well...pretty brutal.  The only two on the roster who deserve close to every day at bats are: Santana and Arcia. In a perfect world we would have Santana getting some reps at SS in order to prepare him for a potential move there in 2015. If I was running the team I would do the following:

-Bring Hicks up in the next couple of weeks.

-The Parmelee era me thinks is coming to a quick end, try to send him back to AAA, if you lose him you lose him. I don't think he has a real place on this team moving forward anyways.

-Start giving Plouffe a few starts in the corner OF, it would be good to give him a few reps for when and if Sano comes up and plays 3B.

-If Buxton performs in AA over the next couple weeks, I think you bring him up to the majors in Sept for a few reasons: You get the fans excited for 2015, you give him some reps against major league pitchers, you put a better team on the field for Sept overall etc

-Escobar prob loses some at bats with Santana taking over at SS, however give him some starts as a super utility guy at 3rd base and maybe the occasional start in the corner OF as well. However I have been impressed on what he has done at SS overall this year.

I know its probably unlikely the Twins bring up Buxton, but it would be a nice sneak preview if he is able to hack it in AA and lord knows the Twins don't exactly have an embarrassment of riches in the OF at this point.

I would say:

Hicks in September

Parmelee gets at bats, but I certainly agree he is probably not part of the future, but the last 50 games can be the final data point

I like the idea of Plouffe getting some time in LF, allows Escobar to slide to 3B with Nunez and gets Santana his needed reps at SS

No chance Buxton is up

Twins will sign a veteran corner bat. Could see Hunter if he is interested and lacks other options. Not sure there are better options.

Would be interested to see if they would consider moving Mauer to LF, but not sure Vargas and Pinto have forced that move just yet.

Papers...business papers.

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

I don't understand the calls to get Buxton/Sano playing time before they're on the 40 man... Well, I guess I understand it but it's a bad move for so many reasons.

These guys have floors of "good player" to ceilings of "megastar". You simply do not waste the service time of those players to appease a flagging fanbase. You throw away a year of service time of those guys and you're potentially throwing away $30m seasons from each.

That's a potential of $60m. That's silly money. You protect the hell out of those guys and their service time.

• Tibs, DocBauer and WLFINN like this

#20 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

I would say:

Hicks in September

Parmelee gets at bats, but I certainly agree he is probably not part of the future, but the last 50 games can be the final data point

I like the idea of Plouffe getting some time in LF, allows Escobar to slide to 3B with Nunez and gets Santana his needed reps at SS

No chance Buxton is up

Twins will sign a veteran corner bat. Could see Hunter if he is interested and lacks other options. Not sure there are better options.

Would be interested to see if they would consider moving Mauer to LF, but not sure Vargas and Pinto have forced that move just yet.

I was on the Hunter bandwagon recently, but he has struggled pretty significantly as of late. I'd look to bring in a guy like Colby Rasmus, who still has some upside, can handle CF until Buxton is ready, can play all three spots and likely could be had on a short term deal. Nick Markakis is another one I wouldn't mind taking a look at, basically would take over for Willinghams spot as a younger and much more healthy option.

I would be 100% fine with Rasmus or Markakis on the Twins on a one or two year deal.