Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Astros, 8/11 @ 7:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Game-time forecast: hot and humid.

TWINS:
SP, Milone

Santana CF

Dozier 2B

Mauer 1B

Vargas DH

Plouffe 3B

Suzuki C

Parmelee LF

Escobar SS

Schafer RF

ASTROS:
SP, Peacock

Grossman RF
Altuve 2B
Carter DH
Dominguez 3B
Castro C
Santana LF
Singleton 1B
Marisnick CF
Petit SS

---------------------------------

Okay, Brian ... you're not in the hole, not on deck ... you're up! Now go!

--------------------------------

Thanks... ChiTown... It's hard to describe this hole that I'm in... It's dark... There are strange noises... a dripping sound.... Like a giant faucet that doesn't quite shut off. I figure I'm about 200 feet below the surface and it's definitely lonely down here... No Human has ever been here before. I'm sorry... Check that... Mel Gibson is here with me. For Twins Daily... I'm Riverbrian reporting.

Things to Think about:

1. Joe Mauer -- Yep... Thought #1 is Joe Mauer. Because here is what I have to say about Joe Mauer. It's about Flipping time. I will never knock Joe's talent... He has one of the sweetest swings I've ever seen. I don't care if his skill set doesn't match the typical 1st basemen offensively. I don't even care if 2014 hasn't been typical Joe like production. I think he will come back and be Joe again. But... as much as I support Joe and I do support Joe. His latest injury and 500 days on the DL again was pretty much the straw that broke my camel's back. Joe hasn't been able to stay healthy. He gets injured way too easily and it's happened enough that it's past the point of what could be called bad luck. I swear he could catch a cold and it would knock him out for a month. Yep... Mr. Positive has gone negative on Joe and it has nothing to do with his ability. His ability is useless if he's on the DL. 

2. Tommy Milone -- Tonight we get our first look at Tommy Milone in a Twins Uniform. I still don't understand how we acquired Tommy Milone for Sam Fuld but good for us. Tommy is left handed... 27 years old and he was born in Saugus California which is part of the L.A. area. He played college ball for USC and was drafted in 2008 by the Nationals in the 10th round. As a minor league pitcher with the Nats organization... He just kept pitching good and he walked up the farm system without pause... One Level at a time. In December of 2011... He was part of the package that the Nationals shipped to Oakland in return for Gio Gonzalez. Tommy hit the A's rotation in 2012 and he kept on doing what he was doing in the Minors... He just kept pitching well. He has tossed 468 MLB innings and his career ERA is exactly average at 3.84 while striking out 6.5 per 9. His fastball kinda floats in the upper 80's but it doesn't seem to matter because he gets people out. It's the state of the Twins rotation... I'm excited about an acquisition of an arm with an ERA+ of 100 exactly. I'm looking forward to tonight. 

3. Houston -- Houston is a major city on the Gulf of Mexico. From the Sky it looks like concentric circles for Hurricanes to target. If they are not getting hit with a hurricane... They are housing Hurricane refugees. If you have a problem... any problem at all... You call Houston. Residents of Houston are tired of hearing about problems. Conversations are never started with a hello... It's always... "Houston... We've got a problem... I've got a problem... A Friend of mine has a Problem. Houston has a unique climate. It's called Humid Stinking I can't freaking breathe it's so Hot Subtropical. Houston, New Orleans and Mbeya,Tanzania are the only places this climate exists. It is characterized by On Fire Humid summers and Hot Humid Winters where it's just hot enough that it's comfortable enough for the Devil to walk around. The Devil refuses to come out during Summer Months because it's way too hot. Houston Humidity averages 347%. The Average Houstonite spends approximately 45 seconds outdoors in summer and changes shirts 5 times a day.

4. Brad Peacock -- Tonight is special because tonight... Two guys who were traded together will face off against each other. Both Milone and Peacock were part of the Nationals farm system and were both traded to the A's together. Billy Beane... ever the wheeler dealer has now shipped them both off. Peacock was traded earlier to the Astros for Jed Lowrie. Brad is 26 years old and was born in Palm Beach Florida. He was a 41st round pick in 2006. If you ever wonder why teams keep drafting players after 327 rounds. Brad Peacock is one reason why. Every once in awhile... They pay off. Brad Peacock is part of the pheasant family. He has extravagant tail feathers that he shows off during courtship and he has a diet of Flower Petals and insects and he is fully equipped for urination ease.

5. Shark Attacks -- I was reading a story about a 10 year old girl who suffered a shark bite in shallow water in Cocoa Beach Florida. Thankfully... She's going to be OK... But it got me thinking about how infrequent Shark Attacks really are. So I looked it up... According to the information... There are approximately 75 unprovoked Shark Attacks yearly around the world. I love the use of the word unprovoked... It made me wonder who is provoking them? I remember being on an airplane flight and the lady sitting next to me was terrified about the plane crashing... She couldn't relax. I told her not to worry... statistically... you are more likely to be bitten by a shark then be in an airplane crash. She started to feel better when I told her that... Then I showed her my scar from the time I was bitten by a shark... in the water after my plane went down off the coast of Florida. I told her don't worry... we are nowhere near Florida.                

• glunn, Riverbrian, Willihammer and 1 other like this
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

The braintrust must still be making decisions on Mauer, Plouffe and Arcia.  Everyone else in the 7PM hour has their lineups out

#mntwins appear overmatched

BuyRp5wIIAAyqll.jpg

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,175 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

It's refreshing to have interesting players to watch in August. A couple of days ago, it was May. Now it's Milone plus Mauer returning to action soon (if not today).

• ashburyjohn and Sconnie like this

#4 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Mauer is on his way to Houston. Speculation is he will be in the lineup. Guess we'll know when they know.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

So it's a pitcher who went down then?

hBuySkOjCMAAupcB.jpg

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

I don't think I gave my trip report for Houston last week.  The Saturday August 2 game attended by the SABR convention was truly an entertaining game.  I didn't watch SportCenter that night but there could easily have been four plays to highlight: 1) Altuve turned a mildly botched pickoff throw to first into a run by playing "catch me if you can", 2) Singleton got an inside-the-park HR (safe by a whisker after Review), 3) Grossman snagged a ball destined to be a home run in RF, and 4) Hoes (I believe it was) fell into the LF stands and held on to a foul pop.  That's not Five Thoughts a la Brian, but four players to watch at least.   A fifth observation would be that they got good pitching against the Jays in the two games I attended (the other was the previous day, won on a home run to their ludicrous short LF stands.)

I've not been a fan of the Astros' approach to tanking and gathering #1 picks, nor of their execution of said strategy (this year's draft debacle for instance), but I have to admit that the team they are assembling looks like it will be exciting.

• Willihammer likes this

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

It's refreshing to have interesting players to watch in August. A couple of days ago, it was May.

I know, June and July just flew by. :)
  • ashburyjohn, Circus Boy and alskntwnsfn like this

#8 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

I'm pleased that Vargas "survived" the return of Mauer. I had a sinking feeling the Twins were going to send him down to make a spot for Joe.

#9 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Gardy said a few days ago - "if Kennys goes, I go with him".  I guess that puts the Gardy haters in an odd situation - they want Gardy to leave but probably want to keep Vargas.

• gil4 likes this

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Trevor May*** and Logan Darnell are carrying a combined no-hitter into the bottom of the 9th inning (for Rochester).

*** May's innings from a suspended game.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#11 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

So who got demoted/traded/disabled/DFAed?

#12 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Happy Shark Week, everyone!
Take your time, and do it right. - N. Fury

#13 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

So who got demoted/traded/disabled/DFAed?

The Player to be Named Later?
  • WLFINN likes this

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Game-time forecast: hot and humid.

Lest anyone forget, they should have the roof closed.

#15 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

The Player to be Named Later?

Willingham traded to Royals.

And Robin Williams apparently died today. *sad*

#16 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Willingham to the Royals for a relief pitcher prospect.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#17 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

So I guess he's not in LF.

#18 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

Lest anyone forget, they should have the roof closed.

No one (me) forgot about the roof this time ... but it's Houston ... that's Houston's forecast.  I didn't even have to look it up!

#19 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Willingham traded to Royals.

And Robin Williams apparently died today. *sad*

NOOOOOO!!!  I had to look this up ... apparent/possible suicide.   :(

#20 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

No one (me) forgot about the roof this time ... but it's Houston ... that's Houston's forecast.  I didn't even have to look it up!

It was 102 in Houston (TX) yesterday according to my coworker, who has family there.

#21 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Sad news about Williams. Apparently the drug demons were too much.

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

So I guess he's not in LF.

I'm sure they'll pinch hit for him, second inning at latest.

#23 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Return for the Hammer looks to be a big kid 6'4" and 225.  Above average FB (65/80), avg Slider, working on curve and change.  Was rated 9 on KC's prospect list before season, now 16.  Probably similar to Butera for Sulbaran.  Frees up a spot on the 40-man (Maybe Meyer?)

Good luck to the Hammer - beat those kitties!

Edited by ScottyB, 11 August 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#24 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

So it's a pitcher who went down then?

hBuySkOjCMAAupcB.jpg

I have a ?. why are some ppl's names red and some blue?

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

Some in italics, some not?

Group 1, 2, 3?

Need To Know basis, probably...

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,119 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

Wow... Robin Williams!!!

I dont know what to say... I've always been a fan.

He was over the top... Many times... Too much over the top... But... I've always appreciated people who went for it and Robin went for it... Every single time.

One of the funniest guys on the planet and to hear it was a suicide just leaves me shocked.

I guess it's another example of comedy and tragedy being very closely linked together.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#27 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 799 posts

I figured that one out...

Blue = switch hitter (ambidextrous pitcher?)

Red = left handed batter/pitcher

Black = right handed pitcher/batter

• ChiTownTwinsFan likes this

"Little beat big if little is smart.

First with the head, then with the heart."

#28 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 620 posts

Lineup Change: Plouffe moves from 7 to 5, Parmelee in LF batting 7.

Edited by ScottyB, 11 August 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#29 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

I figured that one out...

Blue = switch hitter (ambidextrous pitcher?)

Red = left handed batter/pitcher

Black = right handed pitcher/batter

Thanks.  What are the Groups for?

#30 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

Thanks.  What are the Groups for?

I just thought of a guess: BP?