Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Randball welcomes Mauer back full frontal passive-aggressive fashion

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

Michael Rand pressed some hot buttons in his Startrib column today, choosing to lead his story of Mauer's imminent reinstatement with Joe pictured in his hammock. A respondent included a less-than-flattering picture from the MN Twins Celebrity Golf Tourney last winter.  http://blog.startrib...on-wha-happened

...We don’t know what this will mean for the lineup as a whole, but we do know this: the Twins have 46 games left in this season, and they are an important 46 games for Mauer. For all the jokes about Mauer’s durability and not playing in day games after night games, he appeared in at least 130 games in five of six seasons between 2005-2010. Since then, he’s done it only once — in a quite good 2012 season. Otherwise, it was 82 games in 2011, 113 last season and 76 so far this year.

Saying “Mauer needs to stay healthy” is a little too simple because nobody *tries* to get injured. But considering the Twins still owe Mauer $92 million from 2015-2018 — half of his eight-year contract — it is important to see a healthy, productive Mauer as the Twins play out the stretch run.

I think Rand wants Mauer to get it back in gear, pronto.

mauerhammock.jpg

120229CP-KJ-GOLF12_5426153_ver1.0_640_48

Edited by jokin, 11 August 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#2 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Zoilo's Magic Glasses

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:19 AM

Joe Mauer has come a long way since joining the Twins organization. 18, straight out of HS, and now 31, married, twin girls and a concussion issue that forced him from behind the plate. The Twins will almost surely be unable to squeeze 92 million worth of value from him over the next 4 years, but if he can age gracefully at 1B/DH and maybe play some corner OF (gasp!) he can still be a big part of Twins success going forward.

Bottom of the 9th, down by a run, man on 2nd, 2 outs... who do you want at the plate? There aren't many guys in the league that I'd pick over Joe Mauer, and there certaintly isn't anyone on the Twins roster I'd pick over Mauer... and we saw him deliver in his first game back in a very similiar situation to the one I described above. Joe Mauer is going to Joe Mauer. He just needs to figure out what he can do to keep himself in playable condition.

Email the show: talktocontact@gmail.com

Still waiting for Joe Benson to blossom...

#3 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

Rand is a clown, I'm not sure how you can fault Mauer for having a conclusion (a very very serious injury btw) and an oblique strain, which sidelines a lot of top pros.

Unfortunately Mauer has had a couple unlucky years, reminds me of Griffey who couldn't catch a break for a few years while he was in Cinci. Mauer did look good prior to the DL and had two nice hits last night, hopefully he can post a .820-.850 ops the rest of the season for the twins.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#4 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

Seems like it would be better for Rand's career if Mauer were to tank the rest of he season. It is much easier to write about the failures. I wonder if there was some hope that Mauer would fail in the ninth inning last night.

#5 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Bottom of the 9th, down by a run, man on 2nd, 2 outs... who do you want at the plate? There aren't many guys in the league that I'd pick over Joe Mauer, and there certaintly isn't anyone on the Twins roster I'd pick over Mauer... and we saw him deliver in his first game back in a very similiar situation to the one I described above. Joe Mauer is going to Joe Mauer. He just needs to figure out what he can do to keep himself in playable condition.

All of the Mauer memes that are perpetuated by columnists and forum posters alike had almost conditioned me to expect a SO last night.  Luckily, the real world isn't governed by memes.  Nearly 1500 career PAs w/ Men in Scoring position says: .929 OPS, 12th among active players.  The names ahead of him include Pujols, Ortiz, Cabrera, so yeah, I agree - not too many that I'd pick before him.

• birdwatcher likes this

#6 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

If the Strib needs to save money and drops Rand, would anybody care ? or even notice ?

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Seems like it would be better for Rand's career if Mauer were to tank the rest of he season. It is much easier to write about the failures. I wonder if there was some hope that Mauer would fail in the ninth inning last night.

Great point, jorgen.

I immediately thought of Rand after that 9th-inning game-winner.  In watching the Strib writers over the last few years with Mauer and some others who get in their doghouse, they seem that they like to set themselves up in the "sweet spot" between their readers who love to hate Mauer and the unbending Mauer supporters who feel he can do no wrong.  I'm guessing a guy like Rand probably felt like he gets a little credit for Mauer's great game last night by sticking the pre-game needle in deep and getting the desired reaction, and yet, if Mauer had failed, he now had more fodder to pile on in another column next week.

Edited by jokin, 12 August 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Why do you guys read stuff that makes you mad?
  • Brock Beauchamp, ChiTownTwinsFan, maxisagod and 1 other like this

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#9 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Because it is in a thread and I gig not bother to ignore the person. :jump:

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

Paul Weller made great music, as he said laconically and ironically in this tune, we do what we do because, "That's Entertainment".  (Featured in the great Will Farrell movie, "Stranger Than Fiction").

CS2023574-02A-BIG.jpg

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

I meant why read Rand......if you hate his stuff?

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

All of the Mauer memes that are perpetuated by columnists and forum posters alike had almost conditioned me to expect a SO last night.  Luckily, the real world isn't governed by memes. 

onedoesnotsimply.jpg

• Willihammer likes this

How much easier it is to be critical than correct. -- Benjamin Disraeli

#13 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

I think we really need to read the full blog - just because someone objectively looks at Mauer, doesn't equal Mauer bashing.He says Mauer is the most accomplished hitter "by far" and he needs to start hitting like he has in the past.Can't see how anyone would not agree to that statement.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

I think we really need to read the full blog - just because someone objectively looks at Mauer, doesn't equal Mauer bashing.He says Mauer is the most accomplished hitter "by far" and he needs to start hitting like he has in the past.Can't see how anyone would not agree to that statement.

Rand's claims of total objectivity for this article began and ended when he led his objective analysis with a photo of Mauer in a hammock, hard to see that cheap shot as anything but Mauer-bashing.   

#15 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Sensitive Mauer crowd :) - he not above having some fun with in an article

• mike wants wins likes this

#16 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 8,656 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Rand's claims of total objectivity for this article began and ended when he led his objective analysis with a photo of Mauer in a hammock, hard to see that cheap shot as anything but Mauer-bashing.   

Which doesn't negate the basic point...the Twins could really use .900+ OPS Joe Mauer, since they're paying him to be one and they don't have anyone else remotely capable of that.  

• mike wants wins likes this

Go Twins!

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

Which doesn't negate the basic point...the Twins could really use .900+ OPS Joe Mauer, since they're paying him to be one and they don't have anyone else remotely capable of that.  

Can that basic point be said just as eloquently sans hammock and golf shirt?

#18 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,752 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

Can someone explalin to me what's passive aggressive about Rand's article?

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

Can someone explalin to me what's passive aggressive about Rand's article?

Praising him effusively on one hand, while simultaneously hinting that he hasn't exactly been an iron man in rhetoric, and the coup de grace, laying the aggressive "hammock-hammer" down via image....?.

#20 jharaldson

jharaldson

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

Praising him effusively on one hand, while simultaneously hinting that he hasn't exactly been an iron man in rhetoric, and the coup de grace, laying the aggressive "hammock-hammer" down via image....?.

Is there a quote you can point to besides the picture?  In the article Rand goes out of his way to praise Mauer.

For all the jokes about Mauer’s durability and not playing in day games after night games, he appeared in at least 130 games in five of six seasons between 2005-2010.

Saying “Mauer needs to stay healthy” is a little too simple because nobody *tries* to get injured.

He’s still the team’s most accomplished hitter, by far 

I think with the exception of the picture choice the article is balanced.