Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Bryce Harper disrespecting the "A"

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,549 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

Hockey players fighting is the dumb. Yes, I rip that all the time. About the definition of barbaric and immature, imo.

Football players being hit after a play is over is penalized, properly. The small difference there is that hitting is part of the game, and sometimes it happens in the course of the game. One of the happiest days of my life was when my youngest son quit football.......

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#42 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

I assume you and Levi will be as strong in your anti-violence campaign when you see football players hit after the whistle and hockey players drop gloves and fight.  I mean, those things have actually caused real injuries as opposed to the dreaded baseball HBP.

I think the "let the players police themselves" nonsense is stupid regardless of sport. It does nothing to cut down buffoonery or disrespect and only indulges the worst offenders. So that goes for hockey fighting or targeting players for sure. It does not, however, count normal physical play that extends beyond whistles in football or hockey.

Those sports are very different from baseball and those actions are penalized when they go beyond typical physicality. When those sports indulge in similar behavior (bounties on injuries, fighting, etc) as baseball does I'm 100% consistent in my dislike.

I assume you are then cheering the goons of the sports world as you are here?
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#43 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

And here's Jason Turbow's short article on Harper/Atlanta.  http://thebaseballco...where-you-walk/

He gets it right when he says "Ultimately, the gesture was so minor that it should serve as fuel for Braves fans, but not the Braves themselves."  Looks like the fans (here and in Atlanta) cared a lot more about it than the players.  

• Paul Pleiss likes this