Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Bryce Harper disrespecting the "A"

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

The other day I asked for light ice in my tea.  The guy filling it clearly gave me medium ice.

I propose to "have this problem solved" by hurling the napkin dispenser at his head.  He'll never incite me again!  You could also fill in any other minor infraction done to you in life in the same way.  I doubt many of you find violence an appropriate solution.

I'd argue there is every bit as much immaturity in being insulted by this as there is in doing it.  Let it rally your team emotionally and go beat him on the field.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 11 August 2014 - 03:52 PM.

• mike wants wins and notoriousgod71 like this

#22 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

I like this so much I had to "like" it and quote it.

The boy needs a trip to the proverbial woodshed.

My dad used to say, "Any problems in school can quickly be solved by a week of shoveling bunks."

And he was correct!

• JB_Iowa likes this
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#23 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

The other day I asked for light ice in my tea.  The guy filling it clearly gave me medium ice.

I propose to "have this problem solved" by hurling the napkin dispenser at his head.  He'll never incite me again!  You could also fill in any other minor infraction done to you in life in the same way.  I doubt many of you find violence an appropriate solution.

I'd argue there is every bit as much immaturity in being insulted by this as there is in doing it.  Let it rally your team emotionally and go beat him on the field.

Because that's exactly the same.  You're working in a world of incredibly competitive athletes.  Disrespecting their ballpark is going to come off very personal, and understandably so.  I know that this issue gets into a silly area for you, Levi, so I'll leave it there, but to compare this to your ice situation is intentionally being extremist and patronizing.

• gunnarthor and Pius Jefferson like this

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Because that's exactly the same.  You're working in a world of incredibly competitive athletes.  Disrespecting their ballpark is going to come off very personal, and understandably so.  I know that this issue gets into a silly area for you, Levi, so I'll leave it there, but to compare this to your ice situation is intentionally being extremist and patronizing.

It's absolutely not.  You proposed an act of violence to address some act of buffoonery. 

I find that every bit as reprehensible as Harper's buffoonery.

You want the Nats to bench him for being a buffoon?  Absolutely agree with it.  Using violence?  You just stooped to his level.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 11 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

• mike wants wins and twinsfan34 like this

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,758 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Using violence?  You just stooped to his level.

I thought buffoonery and violence didn't equate.

Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons, Earthling!

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

I thought buffoonery and violence didn't equate.

They don't, you managed to escalate it by doing something even more disrespectful to fix the disrespect you endured.

I don't see how anyone thinks this system of problem solving accomplishes anything. 

Edited by TheLeviathan, 11 August 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#27 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationEngaging Theta Protocol.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

The correct response is for the Braves to make sure they are still playing while the Nats are watching on TV. They can even send a thank you card to young Mr. Harper. And to his bosses.
  • TheLeviathan likes this
It’s been a really long day—like, Eugene O’Neill long. - T. Stark

#28 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 5,077 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

This reminds me a lot of what a certain NFL receiver, then with the 49ers, did at Dallas about 15 years ago... I think that the answer was well deserved.  Here it is, if you don't remember (and I guess you cannot embed video any more.)

Any visiting player who comes to your house and disrespects it, deserves what is coming to him. Common sense.You don't expect the home team to go belly up, unless it does not care...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Any visiting player who comes to your house and disrespects it, deserves what is coming to him.  

'Merica

• mike wants wins likes this

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Well, this got off topic.Too bad.But regardless I think we can safely agree that it added another page to a pretty good rivalry in baseball - something I feel is missing.The A's just beat the Twins 12 straight times and I don't think anyone - either A's or Twins fans - felt much about it.But had it been the White Sox, it would've been a lot worse/better. 

Rivalries, IMHO, make sports better and rivalries are born b/c of things like this - players disrespecting another team, bad comments in the press, controversial plays, important wins/losses.Regardless of how you feel about Harper, he's added something big to this for the fans of those teams. 

#31 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Okay ... this thread has reached a point of 'Agree to disagree.'  Keep it respectful or warnings will be issued and the thread locked.  

'The biggest communication problem is that we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply.' Sometimes on here I think this could be stated as 'The biggest communication problem is that we do not read to understand. We read to reply.'

#32 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

Well, this got off topic.Too bad.But regardless I think we can safely agree that it added another page to a pretty good rivalry in baseball - something I feel is missing.The A's just beat the Twins 12 straight times and I don't think anyone - either A's or Twins fans - felt much about it.But had it been the White Sox, it would've been a lot worse/better. 

Rivalries, IMHO, make sports better and rivalries are born b/c of things like this - players disrespecting another team, bad comments in the press, controversial plays, important wins/losses.Regardless of how you feel about Harper, he's added something big to this for the fans of those teams. 

I love the Braves/Nationals rivalry.  Great, young teams that should be beating up on one another for at least the next 3-5 years.  That's what makes a rivalry great.  The Braves and Mets had that in the late 90s, but those Mets teams were created through the almighty dollar and couldn't sustain.  I'm not so sure that will be an issue with the Nats/Braves.

• gunnarthor likes this

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 9,095 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

I think in the old days, he would've gotten one in the ribs.  

Which is why, in the old days, he prolly doesn't pull a bush move like this.

YMMV.

• biggentleben likes this

Go Twins!

#34 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

I think in the old days, he would've gotten one in the ribs.  

Which is why, in the old days, he prolly doesn't pull a bush move like this.

YMMV.

Wouldn't decades of "getting one in the ribs" have long eliminated all these problems that seem to keep necessitating someone "getting one in the ribs" if your claim was true?

• mike wants wins and Boom Boom like this

#35 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

I think if you get one in the ribs, you won't do it again. Would have to check if the any player got one in the ribs, did he also try the same act again.

I don't mind the Harper thing. If it riles you up to do better as a Braves player, all the more. If it gives some 'cohesive us vs them' to the Nationals, go for it.

I do find it funny though that if this is sort of 'a surprise' as Harper has tussled with a lot of people, including his manager (Matt Williams, and maybe Davey Johnson?) on occasions, including telling him how to set his lineup and who should play. He said Span should sit, ironically, Span has outplayed and outslugged Harper (Span's .412 to Harper's atrocious .363 SLG%).

http://www.washingto...-in-left-field/

I kind of wonder if Harper wouldn't be better off spending some time at AAA, for development. Maybe he's just hurt. But then again, either way...he does already have 1322 PA and is a .268/.350/.460 in those MLB PAs. So he's still a good player, but definitely seems to be falling short of the annually predicted 40+ HR seasons he was to have and that he'd likely be better than Mike Trout.

Edited by twinsfan34, 11 August 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#36 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

I like it, its harmless and is a fun way to mess with your big rival. I'd take 20 Bryce Harper types on my team any day, can he act a bit like a punk at times? I guess he can come off like that, but the guy plays 110% all the time (just see the videos of him taking extra bases due to hustle that no other player would even attempt) if the byproduct is that once in a while he does a "clown" move, give me that trade off any day. Regardless I think people are making way to big a deal over what he did, it's not like he stopped at the A, spit on it etc, it was subtle trolling. Good job on him.

• mike wants wins and gunnarthor like this
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#37 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

I kind of wonder if Harper wouldn't be better off spending some time at AAA, for development. Maybe he's just hurt. But then again, either way...he does already have 1322 PA and is a .268/.350/.460 in those MLB PAs. So he's still a good player, but definitely seems to be falling short of the annually predicted 40+ HR seasons he was to have and that he'd likely be better than Mike Trout.

Harper is having a poor season this year.Something is clearly off but let's not forget that he's still just 21.A lot of top prospects are still in AA ball at that age.For example Buxton is one year younger than him and just made it to AA.Taveras is a couple of months older.Baez a month younger.The point is that I wouldn't discount 30-40 HR seasons just because he is struggling at age 21 during an injury plagued year.

Perhaps I should be trading for him this offseason in fantasy.

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#38 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Drew Butera's Fastball

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:52 AM

To paraphrase noted patriot, and Atlanta Braves fan, Patrick Henry who was calling for Bryce's head "Give me Bryce Harper, or give me death."

Email the show: talktocontact@gmail.com

Mike Pelfrey is a Sasquatch

#39 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

I am all over Levi's comments.....violence in the face of non-violence is what is killing this planet and its people. 

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#40 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

I am all over Levi's comments.....violence in the face of non-violence is what is killing this planet and its people. 

I assume you and Levi will be as strong in your anti-violence campaign when you see football players hit after the whistle and hockey players drop gloves and fight.  I mean, those things have actually caused real injuries as opposed to the dreaded baseball HBP.