Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Bryce Harper disrespecting the "A"

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

I absolutely love stuff like this.  

http://www.washingto...-fans-real-mad/

On his way to the batter's box, Bryce Harper completely by accident, he swears, smeared the "A" logo behind the Atlanta catcher.  Three times.  

This just makes rivalries better. 

Edit: mlb.com has better video but when I linked it is says "unavailable" so I linked the Washington Post story which isn't as good.

Edited by gunnarthor, 11 August 2014 - 08:00 AM.

• Willihammer likes this

#2 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

I don't really like it.  I love when a guy like Adam LaRoche, who has a decent history with both clubs, comes out against such moves because it's simply a dick move.  I wouldn't want Jason Heyward or Freddie Freeman doing the same thing at the Nationals ballpark.  You play hard on the field and make the rivalry great in that way.  It was a great weekend series, and no one's talking about that part of things.

• FattCrapps likes this
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

People that don't like it should ignore it. It did nothing to hurt any human being, unless they decided to let it hurt their feelings.

• Brad Swanson and notoriousgod71 like this

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#4 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

People that don't like it should ignore it. It did nothing to hurt any human being, unless they decided to let it hurt their feelings.

You're entitled to your opinion.  I just miss when baseball teams could actually enforce such things.  Bob Gibson would have had the problem solved after the first time.  Yes, people will call that barbaric, but I consider what Harper did to be inciting behavior as well.

• gunnarthor and notoriousgod71 like this

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Except it isn't an opinion. No harm was done to any human being, except those that chose to be harmed by feeling dissed. What actual harm was done to anyone that didn't choose t be upset by it.

This is one of the roots of violence among humans, getting upset over things that don't matter, and having it escalate (like, throwing a ball at someone's head). Over smudging a design in the ground that has no effect on any human being.

• Brad Swanson likes this

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Except it isn't an opinion. No harm was done to any human being, except those that chose to be harmed by feeling dissed. What actual harm was done to anyone that didn't choose t be upset by it.

This is one of the roots of violence among humans, getting upset over things that don't matter, and having it escalate (like, throwing a ball at someone's head). Over smudging a design in the ground that has no effect on any human being.

It's still an opinion over whether it matters to someone.  Does it physically involve them? No, but that's never what was being discussed here, and to suggest otherwise is just being intentionally obtuse.

• FattCrapps likes this

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,642 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

FWIW if TD moderators were hired by MLB, Harper would have gotten a warning for his disrespectful display. :)

• Paul Pleiss likes this

#8 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

FWIW if TD moderators were hired by MLB, Harper would have gotten a warning for his disrespectful display. :)

Or not. We would have come to some consensus first about something so controversial. :)
  • ashburyjohn likes this
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

I'm not being obtuse at all. I've spent several years studying the art of not letting things bother you that don't actually affect you. I've read about how this kind of thing has been, and continues to be, the root of much violence in the world. 

No one was hurt, at all, other than by their choice to be hurt. Do you disagree with this? If so, I'm curious how someone was hurt. I am genuinely curious why you would disagree with this.

People choose to have their feelings hurt or not. Many, many people have learned to look at something like what Harper did, and to ignore it. Research is very clear, those people live happier and longer. Those people live less violent lives. 

To accuse me of being obtuse on this topic is unfortunate for you, imo, as it is closing your mind to an important lesson that could actually improve your life.

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'm not being obtuse at all. I've spent several years studying the art of not letting things bother you that don't actually affect you. I've read about how this kind of thing has been, and continues to be, the root of much violence in the world. 

No one was hurt, at all, other than by their choice to be hurt. Do you disagree with this? If so, I'm curious how someone was hurt. I am genuinely curious why you would disagree with this.

People choose to have their feelings hurt or not. Many, many people have learned to look at something like what Harper did, and to ignore it. Research is very clear, those people live happier and longer. Those people live less violent lives. 

To accuse me of being obtuse on this topic is unfortunate for you, imo, as it is closing your mind to an important lesson that could actually improve your life.

If you really don't see how this can be inciting behavior, then we don't need to continue this conversation, regardless of how much you assume you can improve my life.  Nevermind that I spend my life being a peacemaker and can discuss plenty of the biological ticks that determine how someone reacts to stimuli, mental and physical.  Assuming such about someone else is quite a pretense, and insulting, to say the least.  With that, I'll bow out of further discourse on this topic with you so as to not take this beyond TD's code of conduct.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

I'd take Harper on my team (if I had a team) because of his immense talent, but he's a jerk. This isn't a huge deal, but it's just dumb. I get that he's young, but he's been like this since before the Sports Illustrated article in high school... 

• JB_Iowa and biggentleben like this

#12 teekz

teekz

Jedi Master

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCoruscant
  • Twitter: tdkuhl

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Or not. We would have come to some consensus first about something so controversial. :)

Whew. Since we know how soon you guys will come to a consensus...

I like how he says he didn't do it intentionally but the only time he drags his feet the entire time in his walk is right at that point.

Edited by teekz, 11 August 2014 - 12:37 PM.

FYI. It is 250 posts to change your membership title!

#13 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Harper's a punk, no doubt, but I actually think this is funny in a pro wrestling kind of way. 

It gives the Braves something to rally around, and it gives their fans an extra reason to buy a ticket the next time the Nats come to Atlanta.  Nobody was hurt and nobody was personally insulted.

#14 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Sorry you feel that way. I find the topic of choosing one's reaction to stimuli interesting.

Harper may or may not be a punk, but this stuff about him not actually being a good baseball player? that is priceless reading on the interwebs these days.

#15 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Sorry you feel that way. I find the topic of choosing one's reaction to stimuli interesting.

Harper may or may not be a punk, but this stuff about him not actually being a good baseball player? that is priceless reading on the interwebs these days.

Well, he does have an OPS below .700 and strikes out about 30% of his plate appearances. It is probably accurate to say he isn't playing well this season. He's about Arcia with a few more walks and less power.

Papers...business papers.

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

Someone had to clean this up, right? If so, someone was hurt, maybe not physically, but they were hurt. Whether that be the guy that put the logo on the field or the guy paying him to clean it up... Yes, people shouldn't let it get to them... and I'll echo ben as well. People shouln't be engaging in activities that they know will incite others. It's called maturity, and it needs to happen on both sides.

Personally, I think it's childish. I don't think sending a 95 MPH baseball at the guy's head is the answer (perhaps a bruise on the thigh), but if I was in charge of the situation, I'd make Harper do what I'd make my kids do: fix it, and to the standard it was before he messed it up. If that meant he didn't make it to the club that night, oh well. If he missed his flight, oh well. He'd have to get his own ticket and deal with the consequences. If someone wants to act as a child, then treat them as one.
  • JB_Iowa and biggentleben like this

#17 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

diehard, good point that someone had to re-do the work. that is something I had not thought of. I don't think that's why any ball player, or old school writer was upset though.

I do agree, it is behavior meant to get a response. Some athletes live for that. Reacting probably helped Harper in some way, I'd guess. 

#18 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,047 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Someone had to clean this up, right? If so, someone was hurt, maybe not physically, but they were hurt. Whether that be the guy that put the logo on the field or the guy paying him to clean it up... Yes, people shouldn't let it get to them... and I'll echo ben as well. People shouln't be engaging in activities that they know will incite others. It's called maturity, and it needs to happen on both sides.

Personally, I think it's childish. I don't think sending a 95 MPH baseball at the guy's head is the answer (perhaps a bruise on the thigh), but if I was in charge of the situation, I'd make Harper do what I'd make my kids do: fix it, and to the standard it was before he messed it up. If that meant he didn't make it to the club that night, oh well. If he missed his flight, oh well. He'd have to get his own ticket and deal with the consequences. If someone wants to act as a child, then treat them as one.

I like this so much I had to "like" it and quote it.

The boy needs a trip to the proverbial woodshed.

#19 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Sometimes I think we forget that the kid is 21. Does that give him a free pass when he pulls stuff like this? Certainly not, but I'd rather not start labeling someone as a deviant or a punk just because he makes some stupid decisions at a young age.

I get the point of view from those who like the "old school" way, I just don't really agree that this was a big deal. He messed up the Braves logo behind home plate - that's all. It's a rivarly - this back and forth stuff makes it fun.

#20 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

Everyone knows that "A" is a clown letter bro(s).

The thing that might reflect more on his character is his complete denial of knowing he did it in post-game interviews (unless he really did not know he did it).  Just acknowledge it and say it was poor judgment done in the heat of the moment.

• biggentleben likes this

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

The other day I asked for light ice in my tea.  The guy filling it clearly gave me medium ice.

I propose to "have this problem solved" by hurling the napkin dispenser at his head.  He'll never incite me again!  You could also fill in any other minor infraction done to you in life in the same way.  I doubt many of you find violence an appropriate solution.

I'd argue there is every bit as much immaturity in being insulted by this as there is in doing it.  Let it rally your team emotionally and go beat him on the field.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 11 August 2014 - 03:52 PM.

• mike wants wins and notoriousgod71 like this

#22 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

I like this so much I had to "like" it and quote it.

The boy needs a trip to the proverbial woodshed.

My dad used to say, "Any problems in school can quickly be solved by a week of shoveling bunks."

And he was correct!

• JB_Iowa likes this

#23 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

The other day I asked for light ice in my tea.  The guy filling it clearly gave me medium ice.

I propose to "have this problem solved" by hurling the napkin dispenser at his head.  He'll never incite me again!  You could also fill in any other minor infraction done to you in life in the same way.  I doubt many of you find violence an appropriate solution.

I'd argue there is every bit as much immaturity in being insulted by this as there is in doing it.  Let it rally your team emotionally and go beat him on the field.

Because that's exactly the same.  You're working in a world of incredibly competitive athletes.  Disrespecting their ballpark is going to come off very personal, and understandably so.  I know that this issue gets into a silly area for you, Levi, so I'll leave it there, but to compare this to your ice situation is intentionally being extremist and patronizing.

• gunnarthor and Pius Jefferson like this

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Because that's exactly the same.  You're working in a world of incredibly competitive athletes.  Disrespecting their ballpark is going to come off very personal, and understandably so.  I know that this issue gets into a silly area for you, Levi, so I'll leave it there, but to compare this to your ice situation is intentionally being extremist and patronizing.

It's absolutely not.  You proposed an act of violence to address some act of buffoonery. 

I find that every bit as reprehensible as Harper's buffoonery.

You want the Nats to bench him for being a buffoon?  Absolutely agree with it.  Using violence?  You just stooped to his level.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 11 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

• mike wants wins and twinsfan34 like this

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,642 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Using violence?  You just stooped to his level.

I thought buffoonery and violence didn't equate.

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

I thought buffoonery and violence didn't equate.

They don't, you managed to escalate it by doing something even more disrespectful to fix the disrespect you endured.

I don't see how anyone thinks this system of problem solving accomplishes anything. 

Edited by TheLeviathan, 11 August 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#27 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

The correct response is for the Braves to make sure they are still playing while the Nats are watching on TV. They can even send a thank you card to young Mr. Harper. And to his bosses.
  • TheLeviathan likes this
Take your time, and do it right. - N. Fury

#28 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,515 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

This reminds me a lot of what a certain NFL receiver, then with the 49ers, did at Dallas about 15 years ago...   I think that the answer was well deserved.  Here it is, if you don't remember (and I guess you cannot embed video any more.)

Any visiting player who comes to your house and disrespects it, deserves what is coming to him.   Common sense.  You don't expect the home team to go belly up, unless it does not care...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Any visiting player who comes to your house and disrespects it, deserves what is coming to him.  

'Merica

• mike wants wins likes this

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Well, this got off topic.  Too bad.  But regardless I think we can safely agree that it added another page to a pretty good rivalry in baseball - something I feel is missing.  The A's just beat the Twins 12 straight times and I don't think anyone - either A's or Twins fans - felt much about it.  But had it been the White Sox, it would've been a lot worse/better. 

Rivalries, IMHO, make sports better and rivalries are born b/c of things like this - players disrespecting another team, bad comments in the press, controversial plays, important wins/losses.  Regardless of how you feel about Harper, he's added something big to this for the fans of those teams.