Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/10): The Return of JO

jose berrios dalton hicks aaron slegers niko goodrum
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

By all accounts, Cedar Rapids did a wonderful job hosting the rehabs of Joe Mauer and Ricky Nolasco. Both appear to now be headed back to the Minnesota Twins. For the second straight day, the Rock Cats had an important starting pitching prospect return from the disabled list. For the second time in the last two weeks, the Rochester Red Wings faced a pretty high profile MLB pitcher on rehab assignment. The Kernels played nearly two games in one. The Miracle put together a very complete game. And there were several transactions again. Here is the Minor League Report for Sunday:TRANSACTIONS

There are a few transactions from Sunday that we’ll address here:
  • Jonatan Hinojosa has been promoted to Cedar Rapids.
  • Darren Wolfson reported via Twitter that “2nd round pick Nick Burdi is heading to Ft. Myers.
  • Wolfson also was informed that the Twins have had four offers between $1-1.5 million from overseas teams for Red Wings lefty Kris Johnson, but the Twins have said no.
  • Jeff Johnson is hearing also that Bryan Haar is heading to Ft. Myers.
RED WINGS REPORT
Rochester 0, Indianapolis 10
Box Score

For the second time in the last two weeks, Rochester faced Pirates ace Gerrit Cole making a rehab start. Cole was definitely on his game. He gave up just one hit over six shutout innings, though he recorded just three strikeouts.

James Beresford had another multi-hit game. He was 2-4. Dan Rohlfing had the lone extra base hit, his 17th double. The team had just five hits in the game.

Kris Johnson had a tough start. The lefty was charged with seven runs (three earned) on eight hits and three walks in just three innings. Stephen Pryor then went two shutout innings. Michael Tonkin then gave up three runs on four hits in just one inning. Lester Oliveros struck out two in a perfect inning. Aaron Thompson then threw a scoreless inning despite two hits.

ROCK CATS REVIEW
New Britain 4, Erie 2
Box Score

A dozen days ago, Twins fans (and likely front office and teammates) had a bit of a scare when JO Berrios had to leave a game with an injury. Fortunately, by the next day, we learned that he just had a stiff shoulder. He would miss a start, but things could have been much worse.

On Sunday afternoon, Berrios returned to the mound for the Rock Cats. He went four innings and gave up one run on two hits. He walked one, hit one and struck out two. He threw 65 pitches. Adrian Salcedo came, threw three shutout innings and picked up the win. He gave up two hits, walked one and struck out one. Cole Johnson gave up one run on two hits and two walks over the final two innings. It was his eighth save of the year.

Brandon Waring led the offense. He was 2-4 with his 13th home run. Brad Boyer went 2-4 with his third double. Kyle Knudson went 2-3 and drove in three runs. Eddie Rosario (15) and Nate Hanson (18) each hit a double in the game.

MIRACLE MATTERS
Ft. Myers 9, Palm Beach 1
Box Score

Aaron Slegers made his second Miracle start and improve to 2-0 with six strong innings. He gave up just one run on three hits. He walked one and struck out four. Brian Gilbert, Madison Boer and Alex Muren each pitched a scoreless inning of relief.

The Miracle had plenty of offense from plenty of sources. Dalton Hicks led the way. He went 3-5 with his 20th and 21st doubles and three RBI. Aderlin Mejia went 3-5 as well. Niko Goodrum went 2-4 with a walk, his 16th double and he also stole his 27th base. Max Kepler went 2-4 with his 14th double. Tyler Grimes also had two hits. Travis Harrison walked twice. Byron Buxton went 1-4 with a walk and his sixth stolen base.

KERNELS NUGGETS
Cedar Rapids 4, Kane County 7 (15 innings)
Box Score

After collecting five hits in the two previous games, Joe Mauer was not in the lineup for the Kernels on Sunday, likely headed to Houston to join the Twins. However, Ricky Nolasco made his second rehab start for the Kernels. He gave up three runs on eight hits over 5.2 innings. He didn’t walk anyone and struck out six. He got eight groundballs to just one fly ball. He will likely rejoin the Twins and start this coming weekend.

After he pitched nearly six innings, the Kernels played another nine innings, finally falling in the 15th inning. Brandon Bixler replaced Nolasco and gave up one run on two hits and a walk in 1.1 innings. Jake Reed pitch two more scoreless innings. He has now thrown 14.2 consecutive scoreless innings. Jared Wilson gave up just one hit over three scoreless innings. Chris Mazza worked two scoreless innings. However, in the 15th frame, he was charged with all three runs and took the loss. Hudson Boyd got the final out.

In 15 innings, the Kernels had ten hits. Alex Swim went 2-6 with his ninth double. Ryan Walker also had two hits. Mitch Garver walked three times and hit his 23rd double. Michael Quesada hit his 11th double.

E-TWINS E-NOTES
Elizabethton, Bristol

This game was postponed by rain.

GCL TWINS TAKES
The GCL Twins do not play games on Sundays.

TWINS DAILY PLAYERS OF THE DAY
Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Day – Aaron Slegers, Ft. Myers Miracle
Twins Daily Minor League Hitter of the Day – Dalton Hicks, Ft. Myers Miracle

MONDAY’S PROBABLE STARTERS
Rochester @ Indianapolis (6:05 CST) – Logan Darnell (also completion of a game suspended previously)
New Britain – No Game Scheduled
Ft. Myers @ Palm Beach (5:35 CST) – Matt Tomshaw
Cedar Rapids – No Game Scheduled.
Elizabethton @ Bristol (DH starting at 5:00 CST) – Felix Jorge, Derrick Penilla
GCL Twins @ GCL Rays (11:00am CST) – TBD

Please feel free to ask any questions and discuss the Sunday games.
A quick reminder:

Thanks to the Twins first win against the Oakland A’s in nearly two years on Sunday, on Monday you can get 50% off a Large or Extra Large pizza for the fourth straight day (on Monday) when you use the “TWINSWIN” promotion code at PapaJohns.com.

Click here to view the article

#2 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Very happy to see Berrios back out there.:)

#3 acrozelle

acrozelle

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

It's nice to see Kepler turn it on a bit. In the second half of the season he's hit .294/.348/.405 (.753)

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

Kepler is a solid player, a solid hitter. He is raw, and he's missed so much time the last two years. Might be a very wise thing to have him repeat in Ft. Myers in 2015. It's best for him!

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

It's nice to see Kepler turn it on a bit. In the second half of the season he's hit .294/.348/.405 (.753)

The AVG looks nicer, but that's actually an even lower ISO and BB% (and slightly higher K%) than his disappointing first half of the season.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

The AVG looks nicer, but that's actually an even lower ISO and BB% (and slightly higher K%) than his disappointing first half of the season.

Actually, he's more significantly accelerated his performance recently, Max has performed extremely well at the plate over the last month.  There's an 8 day DL stint mixed in here... but since July 13, Kepler's slash line is .370/.443/.500/.943, while cutting way back on the K% to only 9.7% (his BB% is up  marginally from 9.1% to 9.7% during this stretch)... he has no homers during this streak, apparently, looking for contact and line drives over the long ball.  He's teased us before, but perhaps this current streak bears watching to see if it's something more sustainable to build on going into 2015.

Edited by jokin, 11 August 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Actually, he's more significantly accelerated his performance recently, Max has performed extremely well at the plate over the last month.  There's an 8 day DL stint mixed in here... but since July 13, Kepler's slash line is .370/.443/.500/.943, while cutting way back on the K% to only 9.7%... he has no homers during this stretch, apparently, looking for contact and line drives over the long ball.  He's teased us before, but perhaps this current streak bears watching to see if it's something more sustainable to build on going into 2015.

Hopefully there's more to this than getting hot for a month.I'd argue if he sustains it, then he may find his way into AA next year, but if not, I think Seth is right in that he should repeat... That said, he's got 3 options left, so they cannot keep him in low A for too long.I'd have to think he'd get a shot at AA next season at some point. 

#8 nater79a

nater79a

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

Are the Twins expecting Hinojosa to develop a little more pop in his bat as he gets older? Another one of those young free agents signed out of the Dominican at age 16.  Looks like he's been spinning his wheels a little bit between the DSL and GCL the past 4 years.  At only about 150 lbs he's going to have to get a lot stronger, I think.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

He should repeat either way. He needs playing time. Getting to AA should not be a rush. They need to put him in a position to succeed and work on his skills when healthy... It's the right thing to do for his career. 

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Actually, he's more significantly accelerated his performance recently, Max has performed extremely well at the plate over the last month.  There's an 8 day DL stint mixed in here... but since July 13, Kepler's slash line is .370/.443/.500/.943, while cutting way back on the K% to only 9.7% (his BB% is up  marginally from 9.1% to 9.7% during this stretch)... he has no homers during this streak, apparently, looking for contact and line drives over the long ball.  He's teased us before, but perhaps this current streak bears watching to see if it's something more sustainable to build on going into 2015.

Not bad, but as you allude to, it's 62 PA of .417 BABIP with roughly the same modest ISO and BB% he's had all season.

Any reports on Kepler's defense in CF this year?

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

Not bad, but as you allude to, it's 62 PA of .417 BABIP with roughly the same modest ISO and BB% he's had all season.

Sam Fuld Center Field RF/G 3.19  (ranks #1 in CF who have played over 50 games)

Aaron Hicks Center Field RF/G 2.84

Danny Santana Center Field RF/G 2.51

Chris Parmelee Center Field RF/G 2.00

Max Kepler Center Field RF/G 2.07 in 56 games.

put into FSL/Buxton-esque perspective:

Byron Buxton Center Field RF/G 2.96

Edited by jokin, 11 August 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Thanks jokin.  I guess, as a strict corner player, Kepler probably has perhaps one more season to get things going, sustainably, with the bat.  He'll be nearly 23 at that point.

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

Beyond the stats that jokin posted, which was neat to see, I don't think anyone thinks Kepler is a centerfielder. And, he won't have to be. Buxton will be. He will be a LF/1B type. But, he's good enough with the glove and the arm that he can play CF in hi-A ball and be just fine. 

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Thanks jokin.  I guess, as a strict corner player, Kepler probably has perhaps one more season to get things going, sustainably, with the bat.  He'll be nearly 23 at that point.

Kepler (or guys like him from Europe or Australia or other places) are going to likely be more raw than guys from the US or DR or VZ. I just don't care if it takes him a little bit longer than others to develop. Age to level just isn't as important with a guy like that. 

Yes, it will effect his prospect ranking, but I don't know that anyone thought he was going to be a star anyway. He can be an MLB starter at best and a role player more likely, maybe a platoon type. I don't care if he's 25 vs 23 when he debuts. 

#15 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Kepler (or guys like him from Europe or Australia or other places) are going to likely be more raw than guys from the US or DR or VZ. I just don't care if it takes him a little bit longer than others to develop. Age to level just isn't as important with a guy like that. 

Yes, it will effect his prospect ranking, but I don't know that anyone thought he was going to be a star anyway. He can be an MLB starter at best and a role player more likely, maybe a platoon type. I don't care if he's 25 vs 23 when he debuts. 

I don't care either, but there is a limit to how many seasons the Twins will protect/roster a guy who isn't producing in the low minors.

Basically, if he repeats his performance this season in high-A next year, I doubt they keep him on the roster that winter into 2016, although by that point we may be able to pass him through waivers anyway and keep him in the org.

#16 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

I agree completely.The whole development process is a VERY inexact science.Guys develop differently and at different ages.Our ability to generate an incredible amount of statistics and data do not change this.The bottom line is whether they ever develop the ability to play in the majors - we obviously would like it to happen sooner as opposed to later but that's just not realistic for all prospects.

Edited by Linus, 11 August 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

I don't care either, but there is a limit to how many seasons the Twins will protect/roster a guy who isn't producing in the low minors.

Basically, if he repeats his performance this season in high-A next year, I doubt they keep him on the roster that winter into 2016, although by that point we may be able to pass him through waivers anyway and keep him in the org.

I expect the Twins to take him off the 40 man roster this winter. Jeremy (I believe) still thinks they'll keep him on. 

#18 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Are the Twins expecting Hinojosa to develop a little more pop in his bat as he gets older? Another one of those young free agents signed out of the Dominican at age 16.  Looks like he's been spinning his wheels a little bit between the DSL and GCL the past 4 years.  At only about 150 lbs he's going to have to get a lot stronger, I think.

I don't think so. I think he's a very good defensive infielder who they hope will grow at some point and become a decent hitter. My guess is he signed for less than $10,000. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, dalton hicks, aaron slegers, niko goodrum