Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Mauer and Nolasco in? Who's out?

options mauer nolasco
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

In the PiPress, a story about Nolasco says that he made his last rehab start today. Does that mean he'll be in Minneapolis when the Twins return from Houston? If so, who goes? Pino has options and there is a day off coming on Thursday, so they could get away without a Pino for ten days from his start. Mauer is on his way to Houston, if he's not already there, I believe. I still don't know who would go off the roster to make room for him. I said on another thread that after today's one-man bench game that it would be good to let a pitcher go (one way or another) tomorrow. My sneaky pick is Samuel Deduno.

#2 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,773 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

My guess would be Pino going down temporarily until the next trade

#3 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• 8,345 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

Alternative title:who's in?

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

Burton could go on waiver. Pino will definitely sit. Or Willingham could be moved before Nolasco has to be added. That's pretty much the deadwood for now. Unless they trade off Duensing or Swarzak.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

• 9,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

Burton could go on waiver. Pino will definitely sit. Or Willingham could be moved before Nolasco has to be added. That's pretty much the deadwood for now. Unless they trade off Duensing or Swarzak.

OK--Milone is in for Correia. Tomorrow Mauer is to be activated. Who is moved to make room for #7? Pino is scheduled to start on Tuesday and if he were optioned, then the Twins would have to scramble to find a starter on Tuesday. I say Deduno is DFAed and Mauer takes that spot. Then after Pino pitches, he is optioned to clear room for Nolasco

#6 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,171 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

OK--Milone is in for Correia. Tomorrow Mauer is to be activated. Who is moved to make room for #7? Pino is scheduled to start on Tuesday and if he were optioned, then the Twins would have to scramble to find a starter on Tuesday. I say Deduno is DFAed and Mauer takes that spot. Then after Pino pitches, he is optioned to clear room for Nolasco

I like that idea, except I'm not so sure about DFA'ing Deduno. Then again, as I think about it, he really doesn't have a future with the team. He could get claimed, but that's not a bad thing. There are guys who could easily take his spot (Pino comes to mind. He might be best as a long reliever.).

Now I'm alright with your ideas. I hope this happens.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#7 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• 1,981 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:10 AM

Bollinger reporting that the Twins might DL Arcia instead of sending anyone down. 

I think your Deduno guess is a good one.Ultimately we know Hughes, Gibson, Nolasco and two of Pino, Milone, May will be in the rotation.I would assume one of them will eventually go down, Pino being a good guess since he seems to have less of a future with the Team.In the pen Perkins, Fien, Duensing and Thielbar all are guaranteed spots.That puts the team at 9 guaranteed spots with 2 or 3 remaining for Burton, Deduno, Swarzak and Pressly.Personally I think Pressly is pretty safe.He has pitched pretty well and only just called up. 

TLDR: I think Pino will be sent down after this next start and I think that a bullpen piece gets traded/DFA'd.

#8 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

If we're willing to keep him on the roster, Deduno is cheap for the foreseeable future (he won't even be arb-eligible until after NEXT season).

Obviously, that alone shouldn't win him a spot over Swarzak, but if they are remotely comparable back of the bullpen / spot starter options, Deduno should probably win out.

Same for Duensing vs Thielbar, really.  And given that the next 7 weeks are unlikely to tell us anything about these players that the last 4-5 years haven't already, hopefully the Twins are ready and willing to make a move on them now.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

Bollinger reporting that the Twins might DL Arcia instead of sending anyone down. 

I think your Deduno guess is a good one.Ultimately we know Hughes, Gibson, Nolasco and two of Pino, Milone, May will be in the rotation.I would assume one of them will eventually go down, Pino being a good guess since he seems to have less of a future with the Team.In the pen Perkins, Fien, Duensing and Thielbar all are guaranteed spots.That puts the team at 9 guaranteed spots with 2 or 3 remaining for Burton, Deduno, Swarzak and Pressly.Personally I think Pressly is pretty safe.He has pitched pretty well and only just called up. 

TLDR: I think Pino will be sent down after this next start and I think that a bullpen piece gets traded/DFA'd.

Pretty close, but I have to think if a halfway decent offer comes down the pike for Duensing, the Twins pull the trigger and open up a spot that way.  (And any offer on Burton or Swarzak, as well, their time seems past done with the Twins).

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#10 ScottyB

ScottyB

• 724 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I say that Arcia goes to the DL today when they activate Mauer (Parmelee goes to RF).Pino gets the start tomorrow and gets sent down after the game for Nolasco.Rotation for rest of year - Gibson, Hughes, Nolasco, May and Milone.

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

I think Scotty has it correct.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,662 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

With Mauer returning, my first thought is Vargas.

Would Arcia to the DL keep open DH at bats for Vargas? Or better yet let Mauer DH (in the 6 hole, dang it) and continue to let Vargas play first.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#13 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

I'd be a bit disappointed if Pino was sent down. He has held his own as a SP thus far and I would want to see if he can keep it up. If there is a roster crunch I'd much rather just cut DeDuno loose as he doesn't have much of a future with this club, move Pino to be the long guy and have him ready when the next pitcher gets hurt or if May gets shelled 3-4 consecutive starts.
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#14 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

With Mauer returning, my first thought is Vargas.

Would Arcia to the DL keep open DH at bats for Vargas? Or better yet let Mauer DH (in the 6 hole, dang it) and continue to let Vargas play first.

I think Mauer should be getting the reps at first personally.
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I think Scotty has it correct.

Yup.  And it makes it real easy to keep the starting-OF love affair going forward for the time being with Schafer, as well.

Edited by jokin, 11 August 2014 - 09:07 AM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

Pino can go down because he has options, that's the beauty of your RP and 5th starter having options....you can send them up and down as you need to. 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Pino can go down because he has options, that's the beauty of your RP and 5th starter having options....you can send them up and down as you need to. 

Yes.  It's great to see the Twins FO finally grasp and utililize the concept more frequently....Pino, and possibly Johnson (?) have much greater potential value going forward than the typical AAAA pitcher because of it.... it's a far cry better than carrying 13 and 14 pitchers as Gardy is wont to prefer, leaving him frequently in embarrassing bench situations such as yesterday with only Fryer at the ready.

• Kwak likes this

#18 stringer bell

stringer bell

• 9,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Agree 100%.With both of the long guys being out of options, it makes it much harder to manage the ebb and flow for the pitching staff.A Deduno DFA would alleviate the situation, and I'm pretty sure that he would get picked up by somebody. 

• DaveW likes this

#19 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Yes.  It's great to see the Twins FO finally grasp and utililize the concept more frequently....

Not sure they didn't utilize it before.  Deduno and Walters were notable out of options guys, but DeVries, Diamond, Hernandez, Worley, Hendriks, Albers, Gibson, etc. all had minor league options remaining in 2012-2013 (and Hernandez, Hendriks, and Albers all had one left for 2014 too, plus Gibson of course).

I think they just have better pitchers for a change.

• birdwatcher and DocBauer like this

#20 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Agree 100%. With both of the long guys being out of options, it makes it much harder to manage the ebb and flow for the pitching staff. A Deduno DFA would alleviate the situation, and I'm pretty sure that he would get picked up by somebody.

Why does a team need two long guys? I like DeDuno and all, but it's time for the Twins to move on. He doesn't profile as a starter for this team, and doesn't look like a real great BP option. Time to let him find an NL team and wish him luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: options, mauer, nolasco