Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Game Thread Twins@A's 8/10 3:05PM

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,118 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Game-time forecast: Sunny. Winds blowing out to center field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 65.

I'm going to see my Dad today. Hopefully he will have the game on so I can listen to him tell me that the Twins don't swing at the first pitch in the zone.

ChiTown will be along with the lineups and WX shortly.

TWINS:
SP, Hughes

Danny Santana(S) CF
Brian Dozier® 2B
Kurt Suzuki® C
Kennys Vargas(S) 1B
Josh Willingham® DH
Chris Parmelee(L) RF
Eduardo Nunez(S) 3B
Eduardo Escobar(S) SS
Jordan Schafer(L) LF

ATHLETICS:
SP, Hammel

Coco Crisp(S) DH
Sam Fuld(L) CF
Josh Donaldson® 3B
Brandon Moss(L) LF
Stephen Vogt(L) 1B
Josh Reddick(L) RF
John Jaso(L) C
Alberto Callaspo(S) 2B
Eric Sogard(L) SS

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Trevor May -- So much anticipation from us all and complete disappointment after it's all said and done. Let's not make too much out of it. Anyone could see that the pitcher on the mound last night was struggling with something more than simple ability. That was my first time seeing Trevor pitch and without ever seeing him before... Simple logic will tell you... That wasn't him. It is simple logic... Any pitcher who struggles like that... Any Pitcher... If you see someone throwing like that... You know something is wrong. There is no way a candidate for a MLB rotation could throw like that. You can't walk 7 batters in 9 innings of work and stay in the majors. Walking 7 in 2 innings... that's just a guy who forgot how to throw the ball from the mound to the catcher. A guy who was thinking way too much out there. Take the start... file it... in the garbage and get ready for his next start. Let's wait for the real Trevor May to show up before we make any assumptions.

2. Kevin Correia -- I remember it well... It was December 2012. The Twins had just traded Denard Span to Washington for Alex Meyer and Ben Revere to the Phillies for Vance Worley and Trevor May. We had come off a horrible 2011 and the mood had changed on Twins Daily from ugly to happy. Everyone was so happy with the acquisitions... And then it happened... The Twins signed Kevin Correia to a two year contract. The Happiness was gone and Twins Daily exploded with disbelief and anger. Kevin Correia by himself destroyed the good feeling created by Meyer, Worley and May. I was never that concerned about it. Kevin Correia was an average at best pitcher but at the time... The Twins lacked even average pitchers because the entire rotation was a nightmare. Correia wasn't Kershaw but he was an improvement over what we had ready to go. His stats in Pittsburgh were just not that bad. Yes he lacked K's but he kept the Pirates in games more often then he didn't. As 2013 played out... Correia was an average pitcher and he kept the Twins in games more often then he didn't. Yet... The Distaste for him never really waned. If Kevin had a good stretch of games... People would say just wait. If he had a bad start... which happens on occasion... Everybody went see. When he threw a decent game... Everybody returned to just wait... he'll be bad again. In 2014... Correia started pretty badly and the chorus was back on... "Get rid of this guy"... When he straightened out and started pitching OK again... Not Kershaw but average... It didn't matter. I never really understood the anger toward Correia. We signed him to a fairly light contract and he delivered innings. He was never on the D.L.... He took the ball when it was his turn and he kept us in games more often then he did not. Many people are happy that he has been traded to the Dodgers. I am also happy but only happy because his contract his up and it's time to move on and the roster has to turn over. However... I will not say "Good Riddence... Don't let the Door hit you on the way out". I say... Thanks Kevin and Good Luck to ya. You deserved better treatment from the some of the fans in Minnesota. You were worth the money spent.

3. Sam Deduno -- I have been a huge supporter of Sam Deduno. I also believe that I had good reason to be a supporter of Sam's. Last night... Sam held a finger in the dyke for awhile but then the dam burst on him. As we look to 2015... I simply haven't seen much of Sam in 2014 as a long reliever. As the roster turns over... I wonder if we are starting to see the end of Sam. If he isn't going to be used more often... there isn't much sense in moving forward with him. Roster moves will have to be made and I'm thinking that Sam may need to be part of that. I'll be sad about it because I truly enjoy his energy and ability but he's starting to stiffen up from under use.

4. Jason Hammel -- Jason is 31 years old... He was born in Greenville South Carolina but went to High School in Port Orchard Washington. He was born in South Eastern Rain and he Moved to Northwester Rain. He probably stands outside when it rains and says... "Yeah... This is Life". Jason is one of those pitchers who has managed to hang on to a job long enough to have a career year this year while pitching for the Cubs. There is nothing amazing about him but he takes the ball and throws it well enough that he gets to hold down the 5th spot on a team that looks like they will make some noise this year. If the Twins are going to win a game this series... Hammel is the guy they got to beat and we have Phil Hughes on the other side. Let's see if the Twins can do something today.

5. Heavy Metal -- When I was a teenager... I was into Heavy Metal... Judas Priest... Iron Maiden... Dio... I remember thinking that I was going to like Heavy Metal my whole life. I'm 48 years old now... I think I'll give Heavy Metal one more year.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Bark's Lounge and 2 others like this
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Was I the only one who thought Deduno's body language was pretty bad last night? Along the lines of "I'm too good to be here, now...mopping up"?

Slapping his glove at the throws back from the catcher, frowning, looking disinterested?

Go Twins!

#3 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Off topic. What was the topic? Oh yeah, former Twins. Okay. Justin Morneau, on Wednesday, will become the NL leader in batting average. Yes, that's right.

(Tulowitski is injured and he will fall under the required number of plate appearances on that day.)

More incentive for any former Twin to sign with Colorado, I guess.

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 10 August 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#4 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Arcia (sore back) and Plouffe (swollen ankle from a foul) not available. Fryer is the bench.

I'm guessing they'll be happy to see Mauer tomorrow.
Take your time, and do it right. - N. Fury

#5 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

Let's hope they go back to 12 pitchers when Mauer returns.

#6 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,480 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Was I the only one who thought Deduno's body language was pretty bad last night? Along the lines of "I'm too good to be here, now...mopping up"?

Slapping his glove at the throws back from the catcher, frowning, looking disinterested?

I saw some of that.  It does not bode well for his future with the Twins.

#7 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

1. Trevor May ... There is no way a candidate for a MLB rotation could throw like that. You can't walk 7 batters in 9 innings of work and stay in the majors. Walking 7 in 2 innings... that's just a guy who forgot how to throw the ball from the mound to the catcher. A guy who was thinking way too much out there. Take the start... file it... in the garbage and get ready for his next start. Let's wait for the real Trevor May to show up before we make any assumptions.

Someday, our great-grandkids will ask about Trevor May, and we can say, "Yes, little Johnny and Jill, we saw something truly amazing that 9th day of August, in the year of our Lord, twenty-fourteen." Nah. Not going to be a Debbie Downer. He'll bounce back good.

Meanwhile, working at the store, a young guy just came in and asked for some camouflage pants. Told him I hadn't seen them anywhere. (Try the orange roughy. I'm here all week. Tip your server nice. And drive careful going home.)

Edited by Circus Boy, 10 August 2014 - 02:03 PM.

What is it you have against my horse?

#8 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Possibly one of the best shows ever.

• USAFChief, JB_Iowa, stringer bell and 1 other like this

#9 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Dozier closing in on 20-20.

#10 EephusKnuckler

EephusKnuckler

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

Dozier closing in on 20-20.

He'll join the club today. Hammel has a little stutter step in his wind up, look for the Twins to go after bags

Edited by EephusKnuckler, 10 August 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#11 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

He'll join the club today. Hammel has a little stutter step in his wind up, look for the Twins to go after bags

That would be sweet.

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Not if he keeps hitting HRs, he won't.   :)

Go Twins!

#13 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

I have to wait for the Yankees-Indians to be over until this will come on MLB Extra Innings.  Missed Dozier's HR.

#14 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

I have to wait for the Yankees-Indians to be over until this will come on MLB Extra Innings.  Missed Dozier's HR.

Huh...I've got EI and I have the Twins b'cast on.

Go Twins!

#15 EephusKnuckler

EephusKnuckler

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Missed Dozier's HR.

It was another high fastball. Dozier has been feasting on that pitch all year, don't know why any pitcher would give him something like that. Makes me think they aren't doing their homework

#16 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

Now likely the Twins will go an entire 4 game series never leading at the end of an inning. Sigh.

#17 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

What pitcher back in the 1960s threw the eephus? I was trying to remember the other day. Hamilton? (The guy who beaned Conigliaro.)

#18 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

What pitcher back in the 1960s threw the eephus? I was trying to remember the other day. Hamilton? (The guy who beaned Conigliaro.)

Rip Sewell (sp?) of the Pirates is generally credited with inventing the "eephus" in the 40's.

Bill Lee used to throw a few back in the 70's, I think.

Go Twins!

#19 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,996 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

Rip Sewell (sp?) of the Pirates is generally credited with inventing the "eephus" in the 40's.

Most likely Bill doesn't remember for sure either.

• USAFChief, gil4 and Circus Boy like this

#20 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

I had forgotten Marty Cordova was a 20/20 guy, and am surprised Jaques Jones never was.

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Possibly one of the best shows ever.

Yup, especially up until NBC/MTM fired Bochco and jumped the shark several times with character changes/kill offs.

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

My "McDonald's Big Moments" Twins play of the week:

Trevor May had a perfect game through 0.1 innings Saturday night.

• Puckett34 and Circus Boy like this

Go Twins!

#23 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,550 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

I had forgotten Marty Cordova was a 20/20 guy, and am surprised Jaques Jones never was.

Jacque had good speed, but was never much of a base stealer. I recall reading something a while back that he had only one (feet-first) slide.

#24 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

I am glad for Fuld that he is getting to play for a contender.

#25 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

Steve Hamilton was the guy I was thinking of. Played for a bunch of teams 1961-72. Mostly with Yanks.

#26 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

My "McDonald's Big Moments" Twins play of the week:

Trevor May had a perfect game through 0.1 innings Saturday night.

gomerpyle.jpg

I just had to do it.

• USAFChief likes this

#27 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hughes is such a cool customer on the mound. I hope May is watching this pretty closely.

#28 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

gerald-mcraney-3.jpg

Steven Vogt, right.

#29 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,550 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Now, I can't quote again!  Anyway, Lee was famous for his low-speed change-ups.  Earlier, there was a left handed reliever, who spent one year with the Twins named Dave LaRoche, who threw a pitch that was nicknamed "LaLob".  I can't remember Rip Sewell, but they did name his off-speed pitch the "eephus pitch".

• Circus Boy likes this

#30 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Kansas City completed a sweep of SF today.  The Tigers are in extra innings at Toronto.

If Day-twah loses, they will be 0.5 games ahead of the Royals for the ALC lead.

• glunn and Circus Boy like this

Go Twins!