Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Chris Young DFA'ed

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 452b or bust

• Members
  • 4,635 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Get used to ppl spelling wrong...

It gets really comical when they try to do long division, too.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — 'No, you move.'" - M. Carter.

#22 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 2,002 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

But can he play shortstop?

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#23 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

It is important that the Twins have an adequate fourth OF next year. Signing Schafer decreases the chance that they will seek an adequate solution in the winter. I would DFA Schafer when Mauer returns.

Shortstop is a difficult position to play. Santana has put in little work at SS. At this point, it would be far better to see what he can do in the spring at SS and keep him working in CF. If he doesn't do well now at SS, it will just be written off to being in CF and nothing will be learned.

The Twins aren't in need of a #4 OF, or a #4 at any position--they need #1s--a #1 OF, etc.These are the types of players that truly positively impact a team's performance.And, no, it doesn't matter how said #1 player is acquired at this point in time.

#24 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

I think Chris Young only makes sense to the Twins in the offseason as a minor league free agent. If the Twins are looking to add OF depth for the rest of this season, they can always bring Hicks up again.

Adding Young now doesn't solve any issues that the Twins currently have, and I don't think it helps them win in the short term either. They are better off rolling with the current lineup and giving as many ABs as possible to Parmelee, Santana, and Arcia (when healthy). No need to add any filler until the offseason, just give the playing time to the guys who are already here and decide after the season who stays and who goes.  

#25 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Nick Punto's Ghost

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

Goodwill is a great place to go to find gently used things at affordable prices, and DFA'd guys can be useful, but you shouldn't try to build your team with one.(however, you probably could furnish a house shopping exclusively at Goodwill or other thirft store of your choice).

I don't think bringing Chris Young onto this team makes them better this season, so what's the use? Let the guys on the roster get ABs and bring up more guys from AAA to be evaluated.

Throw it all against the wall and see what sticks.

nick%2Bpunto%2Bshirtless.jpg

#26 teekz

teekz

Mr. Awesome

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

I'd rather see Jordan Schafer the rest of the year than Chris Young. Schafer is younger and more controlable. He is a good stop gap until Hicks forces himself back into a major league roll or Buxton does.

I got nothing!

#27 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

Jordan Schafer is not good at baseball.He isn't a good stop gap if you mean that he should start until Bux or Hicks come up or play 2-3 times/wk. His value is backup CF'er, pinch runner and defensive replacement.And you hope that he doesn't start many games at all.Guys like this are freely available every offseason.

Is 2016 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation?

#28 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins Mods
  • 7,022 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

Jordan Schafer is not good at baseball.He isn't a good stop gap if you mean that he should start until Bux or Hicks come up or play 2-3 times/wk. His value is backup CF'er, pinch runner and defensive replacement.And you hope that he doesn't start many games at all.Guys like this are freely available every offseason.

He has the one skill. So far he has hit enough to use his one skill and his defense hasn't been a glaring negative. The player we've seen is Clete Thomas + superior base stealing.

#29 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

He has the one skill. So far he has hit enough to use his one skill and his defense hasn't been a glaring negative. The player we've seen is Clete Thomas + superior base stealing.

26 plate appearances don't negate the fact that he has a .517 OPS this season and .613 OPS for his career.He's a backup that you pretty much hope you don't have to play aside from pinch running or as a defensive replacement.

Is 2016 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation?

#30 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Nick Punto's Ghost

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Clete Thomas+ is maybe not a player any organization needs to keep around at the MLB level. A great guy to stash at AAA if you can get him through waivers.

#31 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,163 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

however, you probably could furnish a house shopping exclusively at Goodwill or other thirft store of your choice...

...if you are satisfied with a Replacement Level Domicile.

Lord, give me the strength to change the things I can, the grace to accept the things I cannot, and a great big bag of money.

#32 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Nick Punto's Ghost

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

...if you are satisfied with a Replacement Level Domicile.

replacement level domicile allows me to use my funds elsewhere, to purchase All-Star caliber seats at baseball games.

You need replacement level things (Furniture from Goodwill, Trevor Plouffe, Jordan Schafer, old frying pans to take camping, etc, etc) in life.