Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Chris Young DFA'ed

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

Chris Young was DFA'ed last night.  I understand that we aren't going to win the division or make the playoffs.  But I think the Twins should pick him up.  We picked up Schafer and he is a worse hitter.  There is no reason we can't DFA Schafer and pick up Chris Young. He is batting .205 with 8 HR and 7 SB.  What do you guys think?

Career Game Thread Record: 1-0

#2 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

I believe he will turn 31 in September.We are now officially in a youth movement.Doesn't fit into those plans.

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,323 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Not the worst idea IMHO. There should be a number of Chris Youngs and Schafers available in the off-season. I certainly would take a flyer on a couple of them. Currently, Twins outfielders for next year figure to be Parmelee, Arcia, Hicks and/or Santana. Certainly, not a contending team's OF.

#4 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Not the worst idea IMHO. There should be a number of Chris Youngs and Schafers available in the off-season. I certainly would take a flyer on a couple of them. Currently, Twins outfielders for next year figure to be Parmelee, Arcia, Hicks and/or Santana. Certainly, not a contending team's OF.

I think that Young is a better stop-gap OF then Parmalee.  

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 5,091 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Dumpster diving is a sign of a bad team that does not want to improve.Young is better than Schafer and this does not say too much.Here are some numbers:

Schafar:Braves: .163/.256/.213, Twins: .222/.222/.222

Young: Mets: .205/.283/.346

Aaron Hicks: Twins: .198/.338/.262, AA: .297/.404/.466, AAA: .286/.375/.714

So, if you are going to substitute a player who has been performed as good as Hicks did when he was sent down, for a player who has done worse than Hicks at the MLB level this season,and this player, unlike Hicks, has reached his peak and will not improve enough to be part of the future, why don't you just bring up Hicks, who has been raking in the minors?

Rhetorical question, but that is what they should do instead of (more) dumpster diving..

Edited by Thrylos, 09 August 2014 - 09:16 AM.

• jorgenswest and Sconnie like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Dumpster diving is a sign of a bad team that does not want to improve.Young is better than Schafer and this does not say too much.Here are some numbers:

Schafar:Braves: .163/.256/.213, Twins: .222/.222/.222

Young: Mets: .205/.283/.346

Aaron Hicks: Twins: .198/.338/.262, AA: .297/.404/.466, AAA: .286/.375/.714

So, if you are going to substitute a player who has been performed as good as Hicks did when he was sent down, for a player who has done worse than Hicks at the MLB level this season,and this player, unlike Hicks, has reached his peak and will not improve enough to be part of the future, why don't you just bring up Hicks, who has been raking in the minors?

Rhetorical question, but that is what they should do instead of (more) dumpster diving..

Because he has to prove himself at the minors...they have gavin him at least 2 or maybe 3 good oppurtunites that he did not perform at.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,797 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

I think that Young is a better stop-gap OF then Parmalee.  

Young's contract ends after this season so if you were responding to views about next season he's as likely to be elsewhere as with whatever current team he winds up on.99% of DFAs are not worth bothering with, and if an older player isn't good enough to be on the 2014 Mets I don't have much interest.A top team DFAing someone *maybe* catches my eye.

11 was a race-horse, 22 was 12. After 1111 race, 22112.

#8 AWOLNATION_11

AWOLNATION_11

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

Young also has whatever is left on $7.2 million contract.  Probably not worth the cash.

• Danchat likes this

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Just because Hicks would be better than Schafer or CBY doesn't mean that he should be promoted to a backup role instead of getting AB's in the minors.It's pretty clear that Hicks still has work to do in the minors.

I could care less if they swapped Schafer for CBY.It literally doesn't matter at all as long as they sparingly play either of them. 

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#10 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Most shiny things in the garbage belong there--so, No, don't pick him up.

• ScrapTheNickname, Paul Pleiss and Danchat like this

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,375 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

I could care less if they swapped Schafer for CBY. It literally doesn't matter at all as long as they sparingly play either of them.

I would go as far to say that either could be replaced with a statue of Carl Pohlad and I wouldn't give a damn. It's that unimportant.
  • mike wants wins and DAM DC Twins Fans like this

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Look at him as an option this summer. The team needs a viable non-Hicks/Buxton plan but one they are comfortable sliding out when the kids are ready. That might be a Young or Rasmus or whomever....but let's not pretend a warm body capable of playing CF isn't a necessity.

Maybe we could then play our shortstops at, I don't know, shortstop perhaps.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 09 August 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#13 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

If I were Curt, Minnesota would be one of my top destination choices even if I had to go down to the minors for a few weeks as for this year and next they have one of the best opportunities available to re-establish value. 

As far as the Twins interest in Curt.....can he catch the ball?If he is a solid CF I am ok with throwing him into the mix with Parmelee and Schafer to compete for playing time/ back up as long as it doesn't cost a lot.  

#14 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

It is important that the Twins have an adequate fourth OF next year. Signing Schafer decreases the chance that they will seek an adequate solution in the winter. I would DFA Schafer when Mauer returns.

Shortstop is a difficult position to play. Santana has put in little work at SS. At this point, it would be far better to see what he can do in the spring at SS and keep him working in CF. If he doesn't do well now at SS, it will just be written off to being in CF and nothing will be learned.

#15 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Most shiny things in the garbage belong there--so, No, don't pick him up.

"Most shiny things in the garbage belong there."

Nice sentence.

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 09 August 2014 - 01:33 PM.

• Kwak likes this

#16 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 2,208 posts
  • LocationEngaging Theta Protocol.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

"Most shiny things in the garbage belong there."
Nice sentence.

It's just a tad unfortunate to describe people that way.
It’s been a really long day—like, Eugene O’Neill long. - T. Stark

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,797 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

It's just a tad unfortunate to describe people that way.

How do you feel about "isn't good enough to be on the 2014 Mets"? :)

11 was a race-horse, 22 was 12. After 1111 race, 22112.

#18 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 2,208 posts
  • LocationEngaging Theta Protocol.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

How do you feel about "isn't good enough to be on the 2014 Mets"? :)

It's both more accurate and not as, what is the term, disrespectful.
  • ashburyjohn and luckylager like this
It’s been a really long day—like, Eugene O’Neill long. - T. Stark

#19 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

I think that Young is a better stop-gap OF then *Parmalee.  

I don't think so. Parmelee has actually started to hit a little bit. His .260 with 6 HRs and adequate defense beats Chris Young's poor batting average. I don't think there's any need to replace Schafer with a guy who is marginally better.

*It's spelled Parmelee.

#20 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

I don't think so. Parmelee has actually started to hit a little bit. His .260 with 6 HRs and adequate defense beats Chris Young's poor batting average. I don't think there's any need to replace Schafer with a guy who is marginally better.

*It's spelled Parmelee.

Get used to ppl spelling wrong...