Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Colabello Optioned

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:57 AM

Colabello was optioned to Rochester to make room for May (and Joe Mauer?)

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,196 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

Which Pitcher goes to AAA for Joe? Or do the Twins stay with 13 pitchers for 3 weeks?

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,907 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

Which Pitcher goes to AAA for Joe? Or do the Twins stay with 13 pitchers for 3 weeks?

Well, Pino can be optioned. They have an extra bullpen arm (Pressly) or maybe someone gets traded (pitchers Correia, Fien, Duensing, Burton or OF Hammer). From what I can see there should be room made for Mauer and Milone and within a week Nolasco could be ready. Time for some waiver trades!
  • DocBauer likes this

#4 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

I imagine we would need a 6th starter for the doubleheader on the 23rd.Is that when Nolasco is activated?Or do we see Meyer then?

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,371 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

Nolasco can only do so many rehab starts before getting the call. I'd imagine it would be him.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

About a month (and a .143/.211/.143 for that month line) too late. Great guy, but does not belong in an MLB roster of a competitive team.

Edited by Thrylos, 09 August 2014 - 09:07 AM.

• stringer bell likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,907 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

Nolasco can only do so many rehab starts before getting the call. I'd imagine it would be him.

Rehabs are 20 days maximum. The Twins get a "free" player move for the nitecap of the doubleheader but I seriously doubt they would add Meyer to the 40-man for that.

#8 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Does Meyer need to be added to the 40 in the winter? If so, then why not add him to the 40 soon and let him start adjusting to major league hitters. Why wait until winter?

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

Depending on how tonight goes, it could be May.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,702 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

Does Meyer need to be added to the 40 in the winter? If so, then why not add him to the 40 soon and let him start adjusting to major league hitters. Why wait until winter?

He does need to be added.

40 man issue is not what's keeping him down.
Papers...business papers.

#11 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

At the moment we only have 5 Starters on the 25 man unless you count Deduno. There will have to be a reliever or bench player sent down or traded to make room for Mauer and another one for Nolasco. Both were assigned to Rehab on the 5th according to the Twins transactions page which means the 25th (or before) these moves will have to be made.

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

At the moment we only have 5 Starters on the 25 man unless you count Deduno. There will have to be a reliever or bench player sent down or traded to make room for Mauer and another one for Nolasco. Both were assigned to Rehab on the 5th according to the Twins transactions page which means the 25th (or before) these moves will have to be made.

There's little doubt that Mauer will be back on Monday in Houston, so it has to be a pitcher going down (or out) after tomorrow...supposedly Nolasco's return was going to be further stretched out.  There are no Twins starters projected after Wednesday.  If Correia is traded/DFAd, after Monday's start, Nolasco would fit nicely into KC's next scheduled turn, or because of the day off Thursday, on Friday, in the "May slot" if things don't go well tonight.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,035 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Depending on how tonight goes, it could be May.

IMO he'll get another start or two or three, regardless.

• Thrylos likes this

My New Year's resolution: finish what I star

#14 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

There's little doubt that Mauer will be back on Monday in Houston, so it has to be a pitcher going down (or out) after tomorrow...supposedly Nolasco's return was going to be further stretched out.  There are no Twins starters projected after Wednesday.  If Correia is traded/DFAd, after Monday's start, Nolasco would fit nicely into KC's next scheduled turn, or because of the day off Thursday, on Friday, in the "May slot" if things don't go well tonight.

1. Joe Mauer felt "general soreness" today after playing 9 innings last night for @CRKernels, Gardy said, but Houston return still the hope.

"Hope" no longer sounds like "little doubt".

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#15 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

IMHO, May needs to be up the rest of the year no matter what he does... Time to adjust to the majors even if he goes 2 innings, 6 runs tonight and next week

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

IMO he'll get another start or two or three, regardless.

I will be (unhappily) surprised if May does not finish the rest of the year in the majors... 

They already used an option year on him, their season is going nowhere, there is nothing to lose.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,035 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

I will be (unhappily) surprised if May does not finish the rest of the year in the majors... 

They already used an option year on him, their season is going nowhere, there is nothing to lose.

Yes, I think I understated it, as far as being on the 25-man goes.By the time they would decide he needed to be sent down, it will be September and there will no longer be anywhere to send him down to.:)

My New Year's resolution: finish what I star

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,702 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

People need to stop being paranoid. They are not going to send May back after one game. The Twins are slow to promote but they are also slow to change plans and cut cords.

They prepared May for the long haul. Only way he doesn't finish the season is injury or if he completely bombs for multiple starts.
Papers...business papers.

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

1. Joe Mauer felt "general soreness" today after playing 9 innings last night for @CRKernels, Gardy said, but Houston return still the hope.

"Hope" no longer sounds like "little doubt".

Gardy giving Joe a little needle?

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

People need to stop being paranoid. They are not going to send May back after one game. The Twins are slow to promote but they are also slow to change plans and cut cords.

They prepared May for the long haul. Only way he doesn't finish the season is injury or if he completely bombs for multiple starts.

Where's the paranoia?  The Twins are in the midst of a series of potential trades, AAA tryouts and pitchers/players returning from injury, including May.  May's last start in Indy didn't go all that well, if there are lingering issues with his injury, the world won't come to an end if he struggles tonight and goes back down to Rochester to get his health or form back to 100% for another turn or two.

Edited by jokin, 09 August 2014 - 06:20 PM.

• DocBauer likes this