Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Athletics, 8/8 @ 9:05pm CT

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Game-time forecast: Sunny. Winds blowing out to right field at 10-15 m.p.h. Temperature near 70.

TWINS:
SP, Gibson

Santana CF
Dozier 2B
Plouffe 3B
Vargas DH
Arcia RF
Suzuki C
Parmelee 1B
Nunez SS
Schafer LF

ATHLETICS:
SP, Kazmir

Crisp DH
Jaso C
Donaldson 3B
Moss LF
Lowrie SS
Reddick RF
Vogt 1B
Fuld CF
Sogard 2B

-------------------------------------------

Okay, Brian ... lots to think about today, but save some for the 'big debut' tomorrow! :)
---------------------------------------
I'm gonna keep a bag over here... In this bag will be the stuff I save for tomorrow. It also has my gym socks. I hope that doesn't cause a problem.

Things to Think About:

1. For Whom the Bell Tolls -- Twins fans are excited about Tomorrow because someone is coming up. I'm excited because I like debuts. But... Also sad for someone... because someone has to go to make room. We are not winning the AL Central and by virtue of that... That means we have legitimate candidates to send packing but to be honest... There is no one on the team that I want to clean out their locker at this time. Being Honest some more... If I had to choose someone... It would be someone who is not going anywhere unless traded.

2. Jon Lester -- He was tough last night... We thought we were witnessing history last night as Lester seemed untouchable for awhile. It was Kurt Suzuki who touched him. And for a Twins Fan it was a touching moment. I didn't want to get no-hit.

3. Scott Kazmir 2.0 -- Oh Let the Sun beat down upon my face... Stars to fill my dream... I am a traveler of both time and space to be where I have been. Scott Kazmir has been thru some Physical Graffiti over his career. He was one of the games most promising left handers and then it all went to hell around the age of 25. The guy had a swing and miss stuff. I'm not talking about weak contact I'm talking about... the batter having no clue where the ball was. Health brought it all crashing down. In 2008 he strained his elbow before spring training but was pitching when the season opened and Kazmir struggled to pitch deep into games and despite good numbers things were heading south. His elbow was barking in 2009 and he had a couple stints on the DL and his velocity was dropping. His numbers were not good and he was traded to the Angels. He managed to finish the year with 6 really good starts for the Angels but he wasn't the same guy. In 2010... The Angels started to tinkering with his mechanics to protect his arm and elbow. It just made things worse and eventually he was out of baseball altogether. No velocity... No command... His career was likely over. He ended up with the Sugar Land Skeeters in 2012 and he really didn't pitch that well in independent ball but the velocity started to come back and things started coming back. This led to a minor league contract from the Cleveland Indians and 4.04 ERA in 2013. Followed by a FA signing with the Oakland A's and 2.53 ERA in 2014. He's not the strikeout machine he was in the early days but he can still put up a K and the Twins face their 2nd tough left hander in a row.

4. Coco Crisp -- His real name is Covelli Loyce Crisp. His brother and sister combined to give him his nickname of Coco. It was because they thought he looked like one of the characters on the box of Cocoa Krispies. If I remember correctly... Those characters are indeed... Snap Crackle and Pop. Snap is a redhead... Crackle is Blonde and Pop a Brunette. You'll have to study the box and determine which one Coco resembled. I have and I can't figure it out. I think his brother and sister would have named him Mrs. Butterworth if they were eating pancakes that day.

5. Alcoholism -- I'm really not much of a drinker. An occasional Beer or Bloody Mary when out. A friend of mine was a little different. He can't have one without having 77. He became a burden to those hanging with him because he had to be driven home. He'd forget to say... "Excuse me I'm about to change the subject"... Or "I'm going to make the same points over and over with my arm around you". There were times when he became impossibly angry over things that happened in 1977. He was good sober guy but... eventually you started to leave him behind. The bit just got old. Chances are you know someone like this... It's part of our world. He's trying to 12 step it and he called me today. He was trying to apologize to all his friends. He said he was a horrible alcoholic and he's trying to be better. I told him... Nah... You are an excellent alcoholic... you were a horrible drinker. I wish him luck.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Bark's Lounge and 3 others like this
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#2 messed up

messed up

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me as I'm heading down for the Indians series and wondering where I could purchase tickets other than the full price tickets offered on the Twins website?  I've checked stub hub and it's just as bad.  Thank you all in advance

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

As is often the case, every team playing today has their lineup posted except one...

#4 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

As is often the case, every team playing today has their lineup posted except one...

So what?  The game is still 3 1/2 hrs away.

#5 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me as I'm heading down for the Indians series and wondering where I could purchase tickets other than the full price tickets offered on the Twins website?  I've checked stub hub and it's just as bad.  Thank you all in advance

Ticket King ... http://www.ticketkin...a Twins&pid=677

• glunn likes this

#6 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Santana is in CF again... Schafer is in LF. There goes the notion that Santana was going to return to SS.

#7 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Should be able to watch the interesting part of the Vikings (and hear it too, we get a nice reverb from TCF) before switching over to the Twins. Might even try to stay up for it. :)
Stonehenge. It's not just for breakfast any more.
http://io9.com/archa...-sto-1632927903

#8 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'm gonna watch tonight because I'm excited about tomorrow.  I'm also gonna watch tonight because I'm too tired to go out.  And there's a very small chance I may just miss it because I've fallen asleep before 9, I'm that tired.

#9 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

No Willingham and no Colabello. Could it be one or both of them won't be on the roster tomorrow?

#10 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,340 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

I just used Ticket King and they were excellent --  better prices than StubHub.  Also you get a 10% discount for using the TD promo code - DailyDouble.  Also, the woman who I spoke with was helpful/adorable.

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,340 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

I'm gonna watch tonight because I'm excited about tomorrow.  I'm also gonna watch tonight because I'm too tired to go out.  And there's a very small chance I may just miss it because I've fallen asleep before 9, I'm that tired.

I love the west coast games, especially when the Twins win.  Tonight I feel like they might actually win one.

#12 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

West coast games don't normally bother me.  I'm usually up past midnight most nights anyway.  But tonight I'm just tired ... maybe if I'm lucky I'll nod off and get a little nap in (a la Chief) and be ready for the game at 9.

#13 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

It would be nice if the A's imploded like the Raiders do.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

You mean for this series,...or for good?   (What Oakland is doing overall is good for baseball, just not good for the Twins when they get beaten)

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,828 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

I love the west coast games, especially when the Twins win.  Tonight I feel like they might actually win one.

I'd like to strongly suggest that those in the Pacific Time Zone simply conform to our schedules. No more time zones if it's 7PM here... It's 7PM there. If this means that you go to bed in daylight and wake up in total darkness... So be it... You will have to confirm to central time because I thought of it first.

Whose with me?
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, glunn and JB_Iowa like this
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#16 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

I'd like to strongly suggest that those in the Pacific Time Zone simply conform to our schedules. No more time zones if it's 7PM here... It's 7PM there. If this means that you go to bed in daylight and wake up in total darkness... So be it... You will have to confirm to central time because I thought of it first.

Does being a native of your assumed time zone diminish my vote?  Please say yes.

#17 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,502 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

West coast games don't normally bother me.  I'm usually up past midnight most nights anyway.  But tonight I'm just tired ... maybe if I'm lucky I'll nod off and get a little nap in (a la Chief) and be ready for the game at 9.

Pro tip: set an alarm.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, LaBombo and Riverbrian like this

Go Twins!

#18 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Whose with me?

I'm glad I didn't vote for you in the last election. I live in Pacific Time, and nothing is more annoying than East Coast games that start at 4 pm. So take it like men (and women). Get your teddy bears out and makes yourselves a hot cocoa, it's going to be a late one. 

• USAFChief, Riverbrian and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#19 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

You mean for this series,...or for good?   (What Oakland is doing overall is good for baseball, just not good for the Twins when they get beaten)

Tonight, but even moreso tomorrow. Otherwise I expect to see them take down the Tigers in the playoffs.

#20 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

Whose with me?

Tried that on one of my customers earlier this week. He was not amused.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#21 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Yeah, on board with that, but only to a point.  Will the implosion consume Earth the way that the ketchup packet blob drew the planet Vulcan into that black hole thingie?  Have a Great Clips coupon and 'Menards' 11% off shopping list that I'd like to take advantage of before it's over.

Edited by LaBombo, 08 August 2014 - 07:34 PM.

• Riverbrian likes this

#22 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,086 posts

I'm glad I didn't vote for you in the last election. I live in Pacific Time, and nothing is more annoying than East Coast games that start at 4 pm. So take it like men (and women). Get your teddy bears out and makes yourselves a hot cocoa, it's going to be a late one.

Mmmm, hot cocoa. Although that tends to make me sleepy, but still mmmm.
  • ScrapTheNickname and Riverbrian like this

#23 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

At a minimum they could do a special dispensation so that the Saturday games could start earlier than 6 p.m. West Coast.

Bah, humbug.

• Riverbrian likes this

#24 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

East coast, west coast or in between, if y'all were true fans it wouldn't matter when the team played, you'd just be there. :)

#25 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

Mmmm, hot cocoa. Although that tends to make me sleepy, but still mmmm.

Baileys is good on ice too...  Or so I've heard.

#26 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

I'm gonna role the dice and say the Twins kick some Oakland A this evening. Vargas hits 2 jacks and pumps up us Twins Masochists... I mean fans. Tonight is not Kazmir's night.

I must admit, deep down inside me, in a place I do not try to access often, where feelings are sent to die or are repressed - I hope the A's win the whole Sha-Bang this year.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#27 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

refuses to surrender his World Series baseball

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

Well RB, we could go back to the old Roman timekeeping - hours after sunrise, hours before midday, hour after midday, etc. It would be just like the Colosseum to suddenly do that. :)
  • LaBombo and Riverbrian like this

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,828 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Does being a native of your assumed time zone diminish my vote?  Please say yes.

Depends on the assumed time zone. If you are Pacific time Zone. Your vote has .125 value.

Central Time Zone votes are full value.

#29 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

Well RB, we could go back to the old Roman timekeeping - hours after sunrise, hours before midday, hour after midday, etc. It would be just like the Colosseum to suddenly do that. :)

Meh. Just switch everybody to UTC. Then no one will know when it is.

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,828 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

My last Election... My name was mis spelled on the ballot. It should have said Riverbrian but somehow it was spelled Mondale
  • glunn and ScrapTheNickname like this