Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Trevor May To Start On Saturday

trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Lazarus

Lazarus

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

I remain optimistic that the wave of prospects that we have been waiting for is coming to shore - the combination of prospects demonstrating success and expiring contracts at the end of the season have me optimistic for more entertaining baseball next spring.I really don't want to have another season of conversations about 5th outfielders and utility infielders in our starting line up.We should be about done with stop-gap solutions.

#22 Jaykay

Jaykay

#FreeGarver

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

Rejoice!

#23 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Would you like a jelly baby?

• Members
  • 5,992 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

From Rochester's airport?I don't think you could infer much from his boarding a plane to Ohare or other hub. :)

/ edit - or Indianapolis, or whatever AAA city he happened to be in.

You can't fool me. The TD spy network is on the job. They cover all the hubs.

• ashburyjohn and James like this
Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'.

#24 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Is this confirmed? I hope so

#25 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Phil M was just talking about this on the radio - mentioning how Seth/TD is a great source for minor league info and how Seth "is rarely wrong"(I am assuming he was just referring to baseball there).

• ashburyjohn, Bill Parker, Steve Lein and 4 others like this

#26 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

BTW, where is Spirit of Vodka Dave?He has been talking for 6 weeks that it was a done deal, with inside source that Meyer would be up as soon as the calender turned to 8/1.Saturday will be Meyer's 2nd start in August at AAA.

Edited by tobi0040, 08 August 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#27 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

FINALLY! Good Luck to Mr. May on Saturday. Its rumored the Dodgers are looking for a back end starter, so hopefully Mr Corria fits that bill and Alex Meyer can be called up.

• DedunoTheMuffinMan? likes this

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,678 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Huzzah!

#29 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Great news!

#30 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

One less non-promotion for people to b*tch about.

Great news.

• James, jay and Danchat like this

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#31 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,464 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

BTW, where is Spirit of Vodka Dave?He has been talking for 6 weeks that it was a done deal, with inside source that Meyer would be up as soon as the calender turned to 8/1.Saturday will be Meyer's 2nd start in August at AAA.

Meyer didn't pitch himself into the rotation yet and Nick did a good job illustrating. It was his for the taking after the deadline (keeping Correia didn't help either). 

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#32 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Just a refresher on his stuff. I found a FB in the 93-94 range with heavy sink.A hammer curve and a straight change.

From MLB:

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60 | Curve: 50 | Slider: 45 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 45 | Overall: 50

The Twins loved May's arm strength when they got him from the Phillies in the Ben Revere deal. They're hopeful a strong Arizona Fall League showing can help him reach a ceiling that has previously been elusive.

May has always been more of a thrower than a pitcher, but the raw stuff is still there. He has an above-average fastball, and while he can't command his breaking stuff, he does get swings and misses on it when ahead in the count. May's changeup looked better than it ever has in Arizona. Add in improved mound presence, and the AFL version of May looked like the starter everyone has envisioned.

The Twins don't have a ton of starting pitching in the upper levels, so they're going to try to hold onto May for as long as they can, knowing he has the power arsenal to succeed in the bullpen if necessary.

#33 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,464 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Very excited to see May get the call! However we should all probably temper our expectations a bit, even if he does struggle it is a good thing to get him the innings for the 2015 on forward.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#34 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Would you like a jelly baby?

• Members
  • 5,992 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

Very excited to see May get the call! However we should all probably temper our expectations a bit, even if he does struggle it is a good thing to get him the innings for the 2015 on forward.

Yeah, I'd view it like Gibson last year. Setting up for 2015. I wonder if Pino is optioned later today?

• DaveW likes this
Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'.

#35 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

"He was Philadelphia's 4th Round Draft Pick in 2008... ."What? There is major league talent past the second Round?That's not what we have been hearing for years.Well, Good Luck Trevor!The Twins sure need help.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#36 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,464 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Yeah, I'd view it like Gibson last year. Setting up for 2015. I wonder if Pino is optioned later today?

I don't think Pino deserves to get optioned, he has been pitching pretty solid overall in the rotation and IMHO deserves to hold down a back of the rotation spot until he deserves to lose it. Hopefully he can keep up a 4.00-4.30 ERA the rest of the way this year that allows the Twins to have another solid option for 2015 if they need.

I'd much rather they toss Correia on waivers and get rid of him for a PTBNL even if they have to toss in some cash. I know Pino is a bit of a lightning rod around here, but it would be prudent for the Twins to figure out if he could stick as a cheap #5 for a couple years.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#37 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino  54s

#mntwins have now confirmed that Trevor May will start Saturday in Oakland. Will wear No. 65.

Nearly 2.5 hours later, the (excellent) Twins beat guy confirms:  Well done, Seth.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#38 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Meyer didn't pitch himself into the rotation yet and Nick did a good job illustrating. It was his for the taking after the deadline (keeping Correia didn't help either). 

His for the taking? Meyer has clearly outpitched May since the deadline.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#39 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,464 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

His for the taking? Meyer has clearly outpitched May since the deadline.

Pitch limits etc 

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#40 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Here are Meyers numbers in his last 15 starts:

76.2 IP, 2.47 ERA, 86 K's. 6.6 H per 9.  4.5 BB per 9. 

When will this madness stop about he hasn't pitched well enough or pitched his way out of contention? 

Pitch counts?If the Twins have access to a calculator they could have figured out how many pitches he would have thrown by 8/1.

If the Twins had an agreement that he was coming up 8/1, he would be up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor may