Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Alex Meyer Earns Baseball America Praise

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Baseball America released their Best Tools awards for the International League this week and Twins pitching prospect Alex Meyer received the top honors in the category of "Best Fastball" and "Best Breaking Pitch", after discussing the skills with managers across that league. 

As Nick Nelson wrote about, the odds of seeing these lauded tools in Minnesota this season appear to be waning because of restrictions on his innings. After watching his inning at the Futures Game, Tom Kelly told reporters that he was not quite there yet, but getting close. Not surprising, Meyer's agent, Scott Boras, believes his client is ready for the next level as he told the Pioneer Press last month that "[y]ou always have to have the ability to really get your secondary pitches in place and command the fastball. I think he’s reached that point now where he’s ready to take on all levels.”

Meye.jpg

(h/t @UniformCritic)

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

If signing Pelfrey and Morales was promoting good will with Scott Boras, the Twins might be pissing it all away by suppressing Alex Meyer's promotion. The good news is that when Meyer finally does get to the Twins, if he pitches really well and likes it here, none of this debate will matter. I would think the Twins have much more to gain than lose by bringing Meyer up in 2014 for a few starts. He's a good guy and has earned it. His arm appears sound. Much more to lose, I would think, if they postpone Meyer's initial promotion until 2015 and then something changes with Meyer over the off season without him having made an appearance.

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Baseball America released their Best Tools awards for the International League this week and Twins pitching prospect Alex Meyer received the top honors in the category of "Best Fastball" and "Best Breaking Pitch", after discussing the skills with managers across that league. 

As Nick Nelson wrote about, the odds of seeing these lauded tools in Minnesota this season appear to be waning because of restrictions on his innings. After watching his inning at the Futures Game, Tom Kelly told reporters that he was not quite there yet, but getting close. Not surprising, Meyer's agent, Scott Boras, believes his client is ready for the next level as he told the Pioneer Press last month that "[y]ou always have to have the ability to really get your secondary pitches in place and command the fastball. I think he’s reached that point now where he’s ready to take on all levels.”

attachicon.gifMeye.jpg

(h/t @UniformCritic)

I wonder how many players have won the dual awards before? Confirms what I saw on Sunday.  Pretty impressive, and even more head-scratching evidence that belies the Twins reluctance to continue his development at the next level. 

As I said in the companion thread, Meyer is not very far away from having the best knee-buckling change-up, as well.
http://twinsdaily.co...-in-louisville/

#4 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Said it before...will say it again.

Like many/most young pitchers, there is development that still needs to take place. Meyer is inconsistent enough, wild enough, that he doesn't economize his pitches enough yet. No big surprise, no indictment, just a fact. And the reason he hasn't been brought up yet. I get it. I can't fault the Twins for that, or being careful with him.

However, there are very good reasons for his gaining ML experience this season to build for the future, hopefully in 2015, and definitively beyond. If they're worried about IP limits, he can still gain that valuable experience in a bullpen role for a month or so. Even just in September would provide still provide said experience. Despite not pitching overly well, despite possibly having a tired arm, how much do you suppose Gibson gained from his time with the Twins last season?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

Said it before...will say it again.

Like many/most young pitchers, there is development that still needs to take place. Meyer is inconsistent enough, wild enough, that he doesn't economize his pitches enough yet. No big surprise, no indictment, just a fact. And the reason he hasn't been brought up yet. I get it. I can't fault the Twins for that, or being careful with him.

However, there are very good reasons for his gaining ML experience this season to build for the future, hopefully in 2015, and definitively beyond. If they're worried about IP limits, he can still gain that valuable experience in a bullpen role for a month or so. Even just in September would provide still provide said experience.

Despite not pitching overly well, despite possibly having a tired arm, how much do you suppose Gibson gained from his time with the Twins last season?

Yep.  As Gardy so eloquently said in a press conference in 2011.  "Come on guys, this is simple stuff."  

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

If signing Pelfrey and Morales was promoting good will with Scott Boras, the Twins might be pissing it all away by suppressing Alex Meyer's promotion. The good news is that when Meyer finally does get to the Twins, if he pitches really well and likes it here, none of this debate will matter. I would think the Twins have much more to gain than lose by bringing Meyer up in 2014 for a few starts. He's a good guy and has earned it. His arm appears sound. Much more to lose, I would think, if they postpone Meyer's initial promotion until 2015 and then something changes with Meyer over the off season without him having made an appearance.

Because of innings it would be highly unlikely Meyer would start in the rotation no matter what the Twins did between now and the end of the season.

And while your first sentence sounds ominous it is not based in any fact. Contracts for Pelfrey and Morales mean nothing for the future contracts of Meyer, nor does actions 6-7 years before his free agency.

Boras isn't an idiot. Of course he would answer a question from a beat writer that way, but knows full well why the Twins are acting in the way they are. It won't impact a future extension.
Papers...business papers.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

Because of innings it would be highly unlikely Meyer would start in the rotation no matter what the Twins did between now and the end of the season.
And while your first sentence sounds ominous it is not based in any fact. Contracts for Pelfrey and Morales mean nothing for the future contracts of Meyer, nor does actions 6-7 years before his free agency.
Boras isn't an idiot. Of course he would answer a question from a beat writer that way, but knows full well why the Twins are acting in the way they are. It won't impact a future extension.

True, Boras is a minor character in this play. It's interesting to read Boras's understated "I think Meyer is ready" comment, and contrast that with the fact that Baseball America is calling Meyer the pitcher with the best tools in the minor leagues. Almost by default you should be promoted if you are the best pitcher in the minor leagues. If Meyer is a competitor, he's probably pissed he hasn't been called up yet, and he has a pretty good case to be. I guess that's my point now.

If Meyer had stayed in the Washington system, he'd be in the majors already, pitching alongside Strasburg and Zimmerman, two other guys who have gone through major arm problems and recovered fully.

#8 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:53 AM

Does Alex Meyer have more to learn as a pitcher? You betcha. So does Kyle Gibson. And Phil Hughes. And even Kevin Correia.

Just because you still have some development left to do doesn't mean you need to keep pitching in the minors.

Bring him up. Show the big league what he can/cannot do. Let's get this party started.

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

I'm not sure why we are seriously considering Boras's opinion on this. Would Boras say anything else? He's an agent. It's his job to talk up his clients. The choice to bring up Meyer now or next spring has nothing to do with cash at this point, as the Twins won't gain any advantage unless they bring him up next July. And earning his favor is pointless.

Players hire Boras b/c they know he can get top dollar, and his clients want that. But at the end of the day, Boras doesn't make the call, Meyer does. If the Twins are concerned about anyone, it should be Alex Meyer, b/c if this leaves a bitter taste in his mouth, there will be no extension when the time comes. This tends to be true with Boras clients in general I might add (not as much with Pitchers) as his clients tend to want top dollar.

It's on the Twins to make sure they have clearly communicated what they are wanting from him and what it takes to get there. If Meyer bolts after his 6 years, I highly doubt this will be why... Just my 2 cents.