Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: What Do You Want Out Of Twins Daily?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Great site with a lot of knowledgable insight to the team.Being from Texas this is a great way for me to keep up with the team and the minors. One of my favorite reads is when Parker breaks down the difference in mechanics for a player with the videos - subtle things that I would never catch because I don't get to watch them play much.  The other item I enjoy is the minor league daily updates.What i really like is when we have a writer from each minor league townthat writes a more qualitative view of what they see in the club. This may very well exist already on the site and I haven't looked closely enough or they are not grouped together but if we had a writer from each minor league town that watches their team play provide a weekly update - I would find that a must read. 

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

So, you're saying quality writing takes time and effort?

As a terrible writer, I would say, "I don't know."

#23 alskntwnsfn

alskntwnsfn

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationSavage

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

I really enjoyed the Winter Meltdown event and am looking forward to the pub crawl. I'd probably try to make more online hangout sessions but having two young kids makes carving out evening time while being at home essentially impossible. Overall, if there were more events I would try to make them, but I understand its tough cause most of us have day jobs and busy schedules. Another option might be to encourage (allow?) users to set up (unofficial) mini-events of their own… like “heading to a Twins game on 8/20, drinks before at Masons, notify by 8/13 and we’ll get a block of tickets” or “Twins watching party at BW3 in Burnsville on 8/20… post if you’re interested, first round is on TD! ” 

I think a fantasy league next year might be fun, probably have to run it through Yahoo or something but still, could be fun. I have an idea for an Armchair GM type of game too, but don’t have the programming skills or time to commit to it. I think that could be really fun though, since the majority of the forum posts probably have to do with roster construction. Thinking bigger, maybe this could be developed into a platform with other possibilities beyond TD.

How about a more identifiable logo to use as a signaling device? Put put them on hats (with your nickname?), or shirts, or stickers, or other stuff so people who frequent the site can identify other Twins nerds. Might need to expand the store but it’s an idea. One of my favorite shirts is from a BYTO post that compared Nick Punto to a washed shirt. It was so brilliant, I had to get it, just wish I could remember who wrote it.

How about a good old fashioned membership drive? Not like the kind NPR has, but something to recruit new users/readers. Encourage users to invite friends (facebook makes that easy). The Gameday publication could do that, though that is a huge undertaking in itself. Would the Twins let you hang posters at Target Field (for a price?). I’m sure we could crowdsource some clever designs.

A map of TD users? Depends on people’s level of comfort with privacy, but it could make ride shares to events/games easier.

If you can’t tell I’m throwing spaghetti at the wall here. But maybe something will stick. That’s all I can think of for now. Overall the site is awesome.

#24 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

Some stats research is too much for one person. 

How about a project that a group of people could participate in,   

Example: Make a list of all the top prospects of all teams playing in the minor leagues. This way, when Cedar Rapids plays Beloit, we can quickly see if the Beloit pitcher is highly rated and which hitters are regarded highly.This can allow TD to make a Series Preview for all minor league series and spotlight critical match-ups.This also will help when writing the post-game synopsis and make it less of a box-score recap.

This information could be easily compiled by a group of people and then a few people could work together to keep it up to date.

#25 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

So, you're saying quality writing takes time and effort?

Undoubtedly. But I don't demand quality from a free site where anyone can register and submit an article. If you are going to insist on quality writing then it seems to me you will have to change the entire model TD has going here, which will utlimately translate to less content, no? And OC is a big reason I come here, even if every authors prose isn't Shakespearean or some arguments are unsound or unsupported by facts. In fact I'd argue that the discussions those postings sometimes initiate is where TD really shines.

edit: here's a perfect example

http://twinsdaily.co...ker-have-to-do/

Edited by Willihammer, 07 August 2014 - 06:25 PM.

• gil4 likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#26 Wookiee of the Year

Wookiee of the Year

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Hmm...

1) I totally get the "no game stories" philosophy--if the closest Twins Daily ever came to that was Brad Swanson's "Monday Morning Madness" posts, I'd be plenty happy. So I'm somewhat surprised the minor league coverage often takes that form. I understand that that's much more of a vacuum that Twins Daily's filling, but I'd like the minor league coverage to mirror the site's major league coverage in format to a greater extent. Even implementing something like a "Two Week Check-in" article that highlights the current significant minor league narratives would be great. In my experience, there's a gap between the daily game stories coverage and coverage that's at the 10,000 foot level, with a hole in between.

2) Get Gleeman over here. He's not blogging all that much anymore and it would reduce the number of websites I check daily by one.

3) I love the Off-Season and Prospect Handbooks--keep both of those coming! Plus, it's one of the few times every year I get to compensate you guys for the amazing work you do.

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,738 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

I really enjoyed the Winter Meltdown event and am looking forward to the pub crawl. I'd probably try to make more online hangout sessions but having two young kids makes carving out evening time while being at home essentially impossible. Overall, if there were more events I would try to make them, but I understand its tough cause most of us have day jobs and busy schedules. Another option might be to encourage (allow?) users to set up (unofficial) mini-events of their own… like “heading to a Twins game on 8/20, drinks before at Masons, notify by 8/13 and we’ll get a block of tickets” or “Twins watching party at BW3 in Burnsville on 8/20… post if you’re interested, first round is on TD! ” 

I think a fantasy league next year might be fun, probably have to run it through Yahoo or something but still, could be fun. I have an idea for an Armchair GM type of game too, but don’t have the programming skills or time to commit to it. I think that could be really fun though, since the majority of the forum posts probably have to do with roster construction. Thinking bigger, maybe this could be developed into a platform with other possibilities beyond TD.

How about a more identifiable logo to use as a signaling device? Put put them on hats (with your nickname?), or shirts, or stickers, or other stuff so people who frequent the site can identify other Twins nerds. Might need to expand the store but it’s an idea. One of my favorite shirts is from a BYTO post that compared Nick Punto to a washed shirt. It was so brilliant, I had to get it, just wish I could remember who wrote it.

How about a good old fashioned membership drive? Not like the kind NPR has, but something to recruit new users/readers. Encourage users to invite friends (facebook makes that easy). The Gameday publication could do that, though that is a huge undertaking in itself. Would the Twins let you hang posters at Target Field (for a price?). I’m sure we could crowdsource some clever designs.

A map of TD users? Depends on people’s level of comfort with privacy, but it could make ride shares to events/games easier.

If you can’t tell I’m throwing spaghetti at the wall here. But maybe something will stick. That’s all I can think of for now. Overall the site is awesome.

Great post. I've thought of several of these already. Be sure to hit me up in February and we'll figure out if we can start a TD fantasy league.

As for some of your other points, they're either planned for the future or already in the works.

#28 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

I appreciate the comments/suggestions concerning the minor league coverage. As one of the many writers who contribute content on specific minor league affiliates (in my case, the Kernels), I'm really interested in what sort of articles readers are interested in.

I try to provide a mix of general updates and player/coach interviews and features, but it's not always clear which articles the TD community finds interesting and which draw mostly yawns. To that end, the comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#29 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

More than anything I want TD to continue to be a place I go go to discuss Twins topics intelligently with other fans. A place to connect with baseball nuts who are as crazy about the Twins as I am. As a fan living outside of Twins Territory, TD, much like Twitter, allows me access to Twins news/talk that otherwise is lacking in my life. Talking Mariner's baseball is fine and dandy, but I need Twins talk, and this site gives me a healthy dose of that. 

I come for the forum, I stay for the indy blogs, and I usually read the stuff on the front page.

So... I guess what I'm saying is... community.

I'm not sure how the No Juice Podcast fits in with the Twins Daily theme, other than Parker is a co-host, but other than that I like most all of the components of the site.

#30 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:26 AM

Wow there are a lot of great ideas here. First, I agree that Gleeman (who is basically now blogging three times a week . . . and one of those is just to link to G & G's podcast) should be here. I also like the idea of more minor league stuff, of course. The Adopt-a-Prospect was theoretically a way to do that, but there is a lack of commitment to it from many "contributors." I think with just some understood collaboration/delegation of roles, the minor league part could be taken care of easily. JC/SD Buhr is great and Seth is great. Add in some others who are paying attention more generally (say a few people keep stat updates going, a few people do positional breakdowns, and a few people work on feature articles (don't need to be interview-based), etc. etc.

I would still like some kind of in-house wiki that could be central point of information for things like Twins history, overseas scouting, minor league developments, current updates, etc. to serve as a hub for information. A link to new updates could serve as a first-stop info place for people . . . I know a lot of forum time is often devoted to correcting misinformation or disinformation.

#31 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:17 AM

You might want to look into this:

http://www.baseball-...nce.com/linker/

I use it with my blog (K-Slow was Framed, free plug) and if you pair it with adding your blog to their newsfeed, it generates some traffic as well.  Obviously, you get a ton of traffic, but it also automatically puts links into the HTML of the post so that anyone can click on the player's name and it takes the reader to the player's B-Ref page.  I'm not sure if it's compatible with the site, but I'm sure there's a way.

It is very easy to set up and use.  Each writer would have to set it up on their own CPU, but it's a pretty simple process.  I figured it out, for what it's worth.

I haven't been able to get this to work with my blog here on TD. Anyone else having better luck?

#32 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:34 AM

What about a Twins fan directory of some sort? I'm finding a small amount of success finding Twins fans out here in Seattle via Twitter connections, but it'd be neat to be able to find Twins fans as I travel across the country for business/pleasure to watch baseball. Always neat to be able to have a beer and talk Twins with someone new when you're out on the road.

• SD Buhr and twinsfan34 like this

#33 Dctc

Dctc

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:51 AM

A niche content idea: "where are they now" regular column. There are so many interesting stories of what happened after baseball (knoblauch) to the players that were simply dfa'd or dl'd during the season and months later we know nothing of what happened to them. May take a little investigative initiative to develop some of the stories, but they'd be fun to read.

Good work all, incredible site!

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,738 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:30 AM

I haven't been able to get this to work with my blog here on TD. Anyone else having better luck?

That is something I would have to enable site-wide. Because the plug-in uses Javascript, I have to add it to the code myself for security reasons.

#35 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

The armchair GM: Mogul and OTB are both options for this and I know there are many here that use them. I'm into mogul and could help there if people are interested.

My suggestion: more direct prospect observations like jokin posted this week. Maybe have your own prospect scout attending games for a week to get some real nitty-gritty dirt on guys?

#36 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

I think it would be kind of cool while you are logged in to receive an alert of some sort when ever a fellow member posts a comment.If you wanted to check it out you could or if not then all is good.Hopefully I made a small % of sense there.

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

My suggestion: more direct prospect observations like jokin posted this week. Maybe have your own prospect scout attending games for a week to get some real nitty-gritty dirt on guys?

I really liked the Alex Meyer one last week. I really think that the "Blogs" area is a great place for that. When readers do get to Cedar Rapids or one of the other affiliates, I'd encourage posting a blog about it, posting your thoughts and observations.

#38 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

I want to say this about the minor league report each day.

As John mentioned earlier, we have gone back and forth about doing Twins Game Stories, but we have decided a few things: 1.) most of you are watching all or more of the game, 2.) others write game stories with quotes and such, and 3.) if we're going to do it, we want to provide something different.

As it relates to the minor league reports, I've always been under the assumption that 99% of readers were not able to watch the games. I've always believed whole-heartedly that the minor leaguers deserve recognition. So, my goal, going back to SethSpeaks.net with the minor league reports, was to give that recognition. Who pitched? Who had multi-hit games? Who had home runs?

That said, I do hear your comment, and we can certainly try to add more. Again, we always recommend those who have seen a particular game to leave Comments in the forum with their thoughts.

Finally, we would love to have "beat writers" for each of the Twins affiliates. SD Buhr does a tremendous job and has been writing at least an article a week throughout the year to let us know more about players/coaches, etc. If anyone else is interested in doing this at any of the affiliates, please let us know. We can certainly work with their front offices to get you access in exchange for an article or two a week, getting to know (and recognize) those players.

Thank you all, and continue to leave your feedback and ideas.

#39 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

I really liked the Alex Meyer one last week. I really think that the "Blogs" area is a great place for that. When readers do get to Cedar Rapids or one of the other affiliates, I'd encourage posting a blog about it, posting your thoughts and observations.

I was aiming at the dream big of a designated TD scout. Maybe reaching out to fans in our affiliate regions.
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this

#40 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,819 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

I wonder how easy it would be to reach out to some bigger names for occasional stories. I could see doing things with some of the other internet blogging names. (example: Seth working something with John Sickles or a cameo from Gleeman)... that kind of stuff.

Also, what would be nice is getting more things along the lines of what Jack Goin has occasionally done. A Q and A with Twins execs where we give a bunch of questions in advance or even a cameo appearance in the forums... Just a thought.