Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: What Do You Want Out Of Twins Daily?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

Last week I used this space to tell you what Twins Daily is. Today, I’d like you to tell me what Twins Daily should become.

Let me tell you a secret: a lot of the time, we don’t really know what we’re doing. That’s actually good news, as it has forced us to try stuff, from podcasting in a bar to publishing e-handbooks to t-shirts to pub crawls to live hangouts to the new videos you’ll see in our minor league updates.But I think there’s a lot more that both the writers and the rest of the community can provide. So give us your big ideas. I’d love to hear what more you crave from the site, ranging from content ideas to stuff that is truly off the wall.

Don’t be timid. Assume our resources are unlimited, because with this community, they might just be. We’ll worry about making it possible.

Thanks for any feedback you provide, both positive and negative. Let’s hear your big ideas.

Sincerely,
John

Click here to view the article

#2 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Twins minor league reports, links to twins related articles: ba, bp, mlb.com, fangraphs, etc, and a girlfriend,
  • Eric R Pleiss likes this

#3 jjswol

jjswol

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMinnesota or Florida

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

With the traffic that this site has, a weekly poll of some type might be interesting. To make a poll viable it needs to have raffic and you guys are the only Twins blog that can pull it off. I think polls are fun and interesting and they might add something to your site.

I think the one thing that your site has to "watch out for" is that it truly remains a Minnesota Twins blog site and des not become too much of a mainstream Minnesota Twins schill. By that I mean that it is easy to jump in the Twins bed and fall in love with the organization by becoming too close to it and its people. The Twins organization has many wonderful staff members and players and sometimes when you get too friendly, it becomes difficult to write objectively.

Overall, you guys do a great job and have to be one of the top baseball blog site in the country, keep up the good work.

• Willihammer and Sconnie like this
[FONT=arial black]jjswol
[/FONT]

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,665 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Thanks a lot! It's great to hear people say things like "you're one of the best blogs in the country".

As for getting in bed with the Twins, each of our writers has taken a different approach to how they interact with the team. Some have moved closer to the team in an effort to get timely information and inside stories. Others have chosen to remain on the outside precisely for the reasons you mentioned in your post.

For one, I think it's a good mix and each of the writers have found their personal comfort spot both in their article topics and how they approach the Twins themselves.

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

A: Love this site.

B: Links to the minor leaguer's stats from the roster pages would be great.....

c: More video/pictures? Not sure, but I think that would get you more traffic.....

d: everyone should use more ".....", imo, of course

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#6 dannydunwoody

dannydunwoody

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

I like this site a lot, and check it almost every day for the Twins Minor League report (even though it's little more than a narrative box score). The occasional at-bat by at-bat breakdowns are really great, too.

But, to take the site to the next level and get any sustained level of national respect, y'all NEED to develop more rigorous editorial standards and improve the overall quality of the writing site-wide. Not going to name names, but some of the writing's Roy Smalley on Fox Sports North bad.

#7 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

You might want to look into this:

http://www.baseball-...nce.com/linker/

I use it with my blog (K-Slow was Framed, free plug) and if you pair it with adding your blog to their newsfeed, it generates some traffic as well.  Obviously, you get a ton of traffic, but it also automatically puts links into the HTML of the post so that anyone can click on the player's name and it takes the reader to the player's B-Ref page.  I'm not sure if it's compatible with the site, but I'm sure there's a way.

It is very easy to set up and use.  Each writer would have to set it up on their own CPU, but it's a pretty simple process.  I figured it out, for what it's worth.

Edited by Brad Swanson, 07 August 2014 - 11:53 AM.

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#8 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

I would like to see a space for the season standings so I don't have to go to ESPN to check them.
  • Gernzy, DedunoTheMuffinMan? and alskntwnsfn like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#9 David Bohlander

David Bohlander

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

I agree with dannydunwoody. Twins Daily is hardly alone on the Internet by having loose editorial standards and little or no story editing, but the site is worse because of it. At least the stories on the front page should be looked at by an editor to check for basic errors of language and fact.

#10 stuck0

stuck0

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Build relationships with beat writers from the minor league affiliates--link to their stories/blogs, include them in your podcasts/chats, etc. I know they (and their newspaper employers) would love the cross-promotion of their website, etc. 

• alskntwnsfn likes this

#11 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'd like to see the standings and box score of previous Twins Games. That way I would feel no need to check the Strib or PP for Twins game info.

• spanman2 and alskntwnsfn like this

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,665 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

I'd like to see the standings and box score of previous Twins Games. That way I would feel no need to check the Strib or PP for Twins game info.

I've actually started adding links to box scores in the schedule tab. I usually have them up by 8am the next morning.

• alskntwnsfn likes this

#13 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

I vote for more lax editorial standards. TD is a free site, I don't expect ESPN insider-level writing from every author. And there is a lot of downtime in the offseason (and during the season when the club sucks) where I would rather have a bunch of short, perhaps poorly-written posts to read and comment on than a few long and well-written ones.

• Sconnie and WLFINN like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#14 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

I just discovered the box scores under Schedule and from there I can get to the recap.Now I can stop going to ESPN first. 

And now your guys with the Minor League Report can stop writing up the MLB game.It doesn't fit the subject and often it's not especially when done.

#15 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

thanks for the box scores in Schedyke,

I think the top article every day should be the previous days Twins game. with box score and standings,Let somebody different write it each day.Lets see if we can discover some budding sportswriters :)

#16 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Small thing here for me. I think it would be helpful to put the name of whoever is in a picture under the pic. It may show up in the full version, but not in mobile and I access the site via phone 95% of the time. Thanks for the great site and continuing to strive for excellence.

#17 dannydunwoody

dannydunwoody

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

I vote for more lax editorial standards. TD is a free site, I don't expect ESPN insider-level writing from every author. And there is a lot of downtime in the offseason (and during the season when the club sucks) where I would rather have a bunch of short, perhaps poorly-written posts to read and comment on than a few long and well-written ones.

So, you're saying quality writing takes time and effort?

#18 drunksam

drunksam

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

I want you to fire JR and Gardy. Release all the veterans and call up all the prospects. Sign all the expensive free agents. Have cats and dogs live together. Just the reasonable stuff.
  • dannydunwoody likes this
Better looking with the lights out.

#19 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Good stuff.

We have struggled with/debated game stories for two years. I agree that it would be a good thing to add and I think we'll get there.

Is there any niche content that everyone would like to see more of? I'm thinking something like the Offseason Handbook or Seth's Prospect Handbook. 

#20 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Is there any niche content that everyone would like to see more of? I'm thinking something like the Offseason Handbook or Seth's Prospect Handbook. 

Mid-season scouting reports on prospects and near-prospects would be great.Has Pinto's catching improved?What's the word on Mitch Garver?