Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Seth's Predicted Twins Upcoming Rotation

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

Are we sure Pino isn't just a regular member of the rotation now?  They haven't really yo-yo'd him since June (except letting him get one AAA tune-up start over the all-star break), and he's pitched 3 straight 6+ inning starts with fair results (and good peripherals).

Swarzak and Deduno have not pitched much lately, if one or the other isn't needed today, I suspect they could get another spot start Saturday?

While Pino has performed well and deserves to keep pitching, he is a 30 year old soft tossing ROOKIE.

#22 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

No way does Parmelee get sent down.He would have to be DFAed and then would have the option to be a free agent.Colabello goes down unless something happens to a first baseman.Nunez could go for ten days, but I think it makes more sense to send a pitcher down or trade one (Correia to Milwaukee).

I agree that Colabello is the 1st man demoted.I forgot all about Parms Option Status and for some reason I thought that Nunez was an infielder and the bench was thin for infielders.Since they are both outfielders and given Parms Option situation, I agree that Nunez would be #2 on the demotion list (for position players).

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Pino deserves to stick, for sure... but I want to see May and Milone. 

I take this as an endorsement of gracefully parting ways with Correia after the season, rather than releasing or demoting him to the pen earlier?

Earlier you suggested releasing him August 31st... not sure I understand.  If you're willing to do that, you should be willing to release him now.

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

It is time to move on from Correia one way or another. If he pitches decent today and still no takers there won't be any takers. Perhaps keep him until Nolasco was back but after that release him and move on.

Made some sense to keep him until everything was in place with other options. The options are now in place, healthy, and on schedule.

Papers...business papers.

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

Isn't releasing KC, and letting him go to another team, actually nice to him? Or, heck, no one wants him and he collect a ton of money while "working out" for next year?

What, exactly, is mean/bad/evil about DFAing him, and promoting a guy from AAA? It happens every single day in sports.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Isn't releasing KC, and letting him go to another team, actually nice to him?

Releasing him would clearly eliminate salary as a concern for an acquiring team.  While I don't think anybody wants to add him to their roster at this point, if they knew the Twins would be picking up the tab, perhaps they'd give him a look, if only to release him themselves later.  I would guess the assumption in making trade proposals with the Twins is that the Twins will not eat any salary.

The downside is, if he sits inactive for a couple weeks, he may be even less desirable (if that's possible) to a team for September.

Still better than releasing him August 31st / September 1st.  Theoretically, that leaves virtually zero time for him to latch on with another team in advance of the playoff roster deadline (again, not that anyone particularly wants him on their playoff roster).

#27 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Correia would never be on a playoff roster. There's minimal value with this 5th starter getting paid $5.5 million or whatever. Bremer just said "got their money's worth" with regard to Correia, which has to be his dumbest statement of the month, and there are contenders.

Correia would have to be paired with a minor leaguer to get a better minor leaguer back.

#28 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Correia would never be on a playoff roster. There's minimal value with this 5th starter getting paid $5.5 million or whatever. Bremer just said "got their money's worth" with regard to Correia, which has to be his dumbest statement of the month, and there are contenders.

Correia would have to be paired with a minor leaguer to get a better minor leaguer back.

You can say what you want about Fangraphs, but according to them Correia's value with the Twins has been $11M so far.Considering we will only pay him $10M, I'd see they got their money's worth.

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,741 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

You can say what you want about Fangraphs, but according to them Correia's value with the Twins has been $11M so far.Considering we will only pay him $10M, I'd see they got their money's worth.

Correia is a fifth starter making fifth starter money. His contract is not a bad one, though it's certainly of no use to the Twins at this point.

• spycake likes this

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

What Brock said.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#31 Mike Frasier Law

Mike Frasier Law

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

I'd be very happy/sad if Seth is right. Sad only because I wouldn't be able to attend May's debut.

#32 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Nick Punto's Ghost

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:47 AM

If May or Meyer is not the Saturday starter I may have to write to my congressman to have TR removed by act of congress.

nick%2Bpunto%2Bshirtless.jpg

#33 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

Kris Johnson would also be a possibility for Saturday's start.

Whoever does it, it could easily be a one-off start: they presumably want a permanent spot for Milone now (Pino's spot, beginning Monday/Tuesday, as Seth guessed), there is another off day Thursday Aug. 14, and Nolasco could return to take the open spot as early as next Friday August 15.  Basically, this Saturday's starter may not be wanted/needed again until the doubleheader August 23.

They obviously went with starters other than May for one-off (or two-off) opportunities earlier in the year, I wonder if that holds true in August.

#34 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

If May or Meyer is not the Saturday starter I may have to write to my congressman to have TR removed by act of congress.

In an election year? No way. :)  Congress isn't in session now anyway, and won't be until September 8th.

I suppose if we could get a congressional committee to announce an investigation into the alarming lack of pitcher strikeouts in Minnesota, and TR was called to testify, that might put some heat on him.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

It was a big topic early in tonight's Twins Hangouts show. What will be the Twins starting rotation over the next couple of weeks. Who will pitch each game. After our discussion, I am presenting my projected Twins rotation for the next 10 days... Please feel free to comment:

Wednesday - Kevin Correia

Thursday - Yohan Pino (on regular rest)

Friday - Kyle Gibson (on regular rest)

Saturday - Trevor May (Pino optioned, major league debut, on regular rest. He got to 99 pitches on Monday)

Sunday - Phil Hughes (on regular rest)

Monday - Tommy Milone (hitter optioned, one extra day of rest, but he doesn't have to pitch in Oakland)

Tuesday - Kevin Correia

Wednesday - Kyle Gibson (on regular rest)

What do you think? 

This is looking pretty good with the exception of Tuesday, though since Colabello was optioned instead of Pino, Pino can start on Tuesday... 

• DJSim22 likes this

#36 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

Now that Milone takes KC's place, Pino goes down when Nolasco is back.Will the Hammer be traded to make room for Mauer?

#37 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Now that Milone takes KC's place, Pino goes down when Nolasco is back. Will the Hammer be traded to make room for Mauer?

I think they ax Deduno over sending Pino back down.

Maybe a Duensing trade?
Papers...business papers.

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,105 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

I think they ax Deduno over sending Pino back down.
Maybe a Duensing trade?

Deduno's body language last night was really bad, IMO.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#39 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

They need to go to 12 pitchers. This one man bench in a close game is unacceptable.