Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Seth's Predicted Twins Upcoming Rotation

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

It was a big topic early in tonight's Twins Hangouts show. What will be the Twins starting rotation over the next couple of weeks. Who will pitch each game. After our discussion, I am presenting my projected Twins rotation for the next 10 days... Please feel free to comment:

Wednesday - Kevin Correia

Thursday - Yohan Pino (on regular rest)

Friday - Kyle Gibson (on regular rest)

Saturday - Trevor May (Pino optioned, major league debut, on regular rest. He got to 99 pitches on Monday)

Sunday - Phil Hughes (on regular rest)

Monday - Tommy Milone (hitter optioned, one extra day of rest, but he doesn't have to pitch in Oakland)

Tuesday - Kevin Correia

Wednesday - Kyle Gibson (on regular rest)

What do you think? 

• curt1965 likes this

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

That's likely, though I wonder who would be optioned for Milone's start.

#3 AScheib50

AScheib50

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

I think that looks pretty good. I mean, we all want to see Meyer but it seems less likely. Might as well see what Milone has to offer, as he was pretty stellar in Oakland in the past. May would be the more exciting move, but both are moves I can get behind. I still can't quite wrap my head around what will happen with Meyer, but I feel like he would have to get at least a few big league innings this season, but who knows. I think Correia has gotten a pretty rough shake...he has been about as good or better than expected for 2 years...but he is not a guy that should be here next season, so you hate to waste precious starts o him. Wouldn't mind sending him to a contender instead of throwing him in the bullpen on this team but who knows if anyone will scoop him up or not.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

That's likely, though I wonder who would be optioned for Milone's start.

After tonight, Colabello appears to be the odd man out, although he will likely be gone when Mauer comes back, which could be the same day.  In which case, KC could be gone, or May if he performs poorly.

#5 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:13 PM

I'd be very happy with Seth's predictions!

#6 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

After tonight, Colabello appears to be the odd man out, although he will likely be gone when Mauer comes back, which could be the same day.  In which case, KC could be gone, or May if he performs poorly.

I can't imagine May getting called up, having one poor start and then being optioned back down.  That has demoralization written all over it.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#7 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

I would imagine Colabello is going to get optioned because Vargas will take the DH spots and Parmalee stays because he can play OF

#8 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

Milone Sunday, Hughes gets the extra day.

Papers...business papers.

#9 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

I don't think that they will call up May for just one start and send him back down again.

Keep in mind that Mauer is probably going to be activated Monday and Nolasco around 8/15.

I think they will actually have Deduno start on Saturday.

Colabello will get sent down for Milone and either Nunez or Parmelee will get sent down when Mauer gets activated.  Then Pino will get sent down to make room for Nolasco.

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

I don't think that they will call up May for just one start and send him back down again.

Keep in mind that Mauer is probably going to be activated Monday and Nolasco around 8/15.

Colabello will get sent down for Milone and either Nunez or Parmelee will get sent down when Mauer gets activated.  Then Pino will get sent down to make room for Nolasco.

Correia will be gone when Nolasco is back. Or at least that is what the Twins should do.

Deduno starting would be a stunner in my mind.

#11 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Seth's call sounds about right. May and Milone up, Pino down. Colabello can't stick in this lineup; Parms plays better OF and K-Var is a switch hitting 1B with massive power. 6'5", 275, and he'll probably add muscle. Yikes. Pretty good glove at 1st, too. I remember when David Ortiz first came up... His swing looked a lot like Dave Parker from the Pirates, even more powerful than Hrbek's. But Ortiz didn't have much of a glove at 1B, not as a rookie. Vargas looks more advanced as a fielder than Ortiz did.

In a couple years, the power in this Twins lineup could be staggering. Sano, Vargas, Arcia, Rosario, Buxton... A. Walker in LF? if they can find places in the field for all these guys. They will.

#12 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

Correia will be gone when Nolasco is back. Or at least that is what the Twins should do.

They have to find a taker for Correia first.  I don't think May will be called up until Correia is gone.

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Move KC to the bullpen, cut someone. Problem solved. Or, just DFA KC. I don't see how having him start more games helps the Twins next year at all. 

• Steve Lein and Mike Frasier Law like this
Lighten up Francis....

#14 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Move KC to the bullpen, cut someone. Problem solved. Or, just DFA KC. I don't see how having him start more games helps the Twins next year at all. 

I would have DFA'd KC as well (assuming nobody would have taken him for one of those heavy rings that you put around the bat in the on deck circle). 

Unfortunately, I think what Seth has laid out is what will happen.

Edited by tobi0040, 06 August 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#15 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

I'd be very surprised if they dump KC and eat the remainder of his salary.

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,467 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Milone Sunday, Hughes gets the extra day.

Might happen.  Apparently Hughes split a fingernail and maybe the extra day's rest could get it to heal completely without superglue.

#17 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,467 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

No way does Parmelee get sent down.  He would have to be DFAed and then would have the option to be a free agent.  Colabello goes down unless something happens to a first baseman.  Nunez could go for ten days, but I think it makes more sense to send a pitcher down or trade one (Correia to Milwaukee).

#18 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Are we sure Pino isn't just a regular member of the rotation now?  They haven't really yo-yo'd him since June (except letting him get one AAA tune-up start over the all-star break), and he's pitched 3 straight 6+ inning starts with fair results (and good peripherals).

Swarzak and Deduno have not pitched much lately, if one or the other isn't needed today, I suspect they could get another spot start Saturday?

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

Given the circumstances surrounding his exits from San Diego and Pittsburgh (being moved to the bullpen, against his will, late in his tenure both places), it appears the Twins promised Correia a starting spot.  And absent another team that wants him to start, or an extended disaster-level performance, I think he's guaranteed to finish out his contract here as a starting pitcher.

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Are we sure Pino isn't just a regular member of the rotation now?  They haven't really yo-yo'd him since June (except letting him get one AAA tune-up start over the all-star break), and he's pitched 3 straight 6+ inning starts with fair results (and good peripherals).

Swarzak and Deduno have not pitched much lately, if one or the other isn't needed today, I suspect they could get another spot start Saturday?

Pino deserves to stick, for sure... but I want to see May and Milone. 

#21 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

While Pino has performed well and deserves to keep pitching, he is a 30 year old soft tossing ROOKIE.

#22 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

No way does Parmelee get sent down.  He would have to be DFAed and then would have the option to be a free agent.  Colabello goes down unless something happens to a first baseman.  Nunez could go for ten days, but I think it makes more sense to send a pitcher down or trade one (Correia to Milwaukee).

I agree that Colabello is the 1st man demoted.  I forgot all about Parms Option Status and for some reason I thought that Nunez was an infielder and the bench was thin for infielders.  Since they are both outfielders and given Parms Option situation, I agree that Nunez would be #2 on the demotion list (for position players).

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Pino deserves to stick, for sure... but I want to see May and Milone. 

I take this as an endorsement of gracefully parting ways with Correia after the season, rather than releasing or demoting him to the pen earlier?

Earlier you suggested releasing him August 31st... not sure I understand.  If you're willing to do that, you should be willing to release him now.

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

It is time to move on from Correia one way or another. If he pitches decent today and still no takers there won't be any takers. Perhaps keep him until Nolasco was back but after that release him and move on.

Made some sense to keep him until everything was in place with other options. The options are now in place, healthy, and on schedule.

#25 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

Isn't releasing KC, and letting him go to another team, actually nice to him? Or, heck, no one wants him and he collect a ton of money while "working out" for next year?

What, exactly, is mean/bad/evil about DFAing him, and promoting a guy from AAA? It happens every single day in sports.

Lighten up Francis....

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Isn't releasing KC, and letting him go to another team, actually nice to him?

Releasing him would clearly eliminate salary as a concern for an acquiring team.  While I don't think anybody wants to add him to their roster at this point, if they knew the Twins would be picking up the tab, perhaps they'd give him a look, if only to release him themselves later.  I would guess the assumption in making trade proposals with the Twins is that the Twins will not eat any salary.

The downside is, if he sits inactive for a couple weeks, he may be even less desirable (if that's possible) to a team for September.

Still better than releasing him August 31st / September 1st.  Theoretically, that leaves virtually zero time for him to latch on with another team in advance of the playoff roster deadline (again, not that anyone particularly wants him on their playoff roster).

#27 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Correia would never be on a playoff roster. There's minimal value with this 5th starter getting paid $5.5 million or whatever. Bremer just said "got their money's worth" with regard to Correia, which has to be his dumbest statement of the month, and there are contenders.

Correia would have to be paired with a minor leaguer to get a better minor leaguer back.

#28 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Correia would never be on a playoff roster. There's minimal value with this 5th starter getting paid $5.5 million or whatever. Bremer just said "got their money's worth" with regard to Correia, which has to be his dumbest statement of the month, and there are contenders.

Correia would have to be paired with a minor leaguer to get a better minor leaguer back.

You can say what you want about Fangraphs, but according to them Correia's value with the Twins has been $11M so far.  Considering we will only pay him $10M, I'd see they got their money's worth.

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,020 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

You can say what you want about Fangraphs, but according to them Correia's value with the Twins has been $11M so far.  Considering we will only pay him $10M, I'd see they got their money's worth.

Correia is a fifth starter making fifth starter money. His contract is not a bad one, though it's certainly of no use to the Twins at this point.

• spycake likes this

#30 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

What Brock said.
Lighten up Francis....