Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Next Commish

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

MLB chief operating officer Rob Manfred, MLB vice president of business Tim Bronson and Red Sox chairman Tom Werner are the candidates, according to Nightengale.

http://www.mlbtrader...mmissioner.html

Kind of interesting -- appear to be 2 from within the current structure and one a bit more of an outsider.  But I really don't know enough about any of them to comment. 

#2 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

Everything I've read has been pointing to Manfred being the front runner. I think he's Selig's preferred choice and it wouldn't surprise me if he's the "next man up". It's an interesting process, and the odd part is we as fans won't really know what to think of the new commish (whoever it is) until a year or two into their tenure. It'll be fun to follow either way though.

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

Jon Heyman at CBS has an interesting story on this:

http://www.cbssports...mmissioner-vote

Hard to know if this is just a bit of a "tempest in a teapot" and if Manfred will win easily or if Reinsdorf is planning some type of upset.

With Reinsdorf, I'd never take any kind of bets.

It will be interesting to see how it all develops.  

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

I applied a few weeks back but never got called :)

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

I applied a few weeks back but never got called :)

Did you do the follow-up call?
:)

#6 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

No mention of Andy MacPhail... Hmm... That means he could still be a candidate for Terry Ryan's post if TR should step back.

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Another interesting article on the search:

http://www.nytimes.c...d=tw-share&_r=1

Sounds like this could be interesting.

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

Did you do the follow-up call?
:)

yeah, it keeps going to voicemail for some guy named Roger Goodell. 

#9 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:56 AM

Does Pete Rose have a chance at being reinstated under one of the three possible commish wannabees?

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Does Pete Rose have a chance at being reinstated under one of the three possible commish wannabees?

After Shoeless Joe is reinstated, of course.

Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#11 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

Maybe Rose should BE the new commissioner. What do you think the odds are?
Take your time, and do it right. - N. Fury

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

Maybe Rose should BE the new commissioner. What do you think the odds are?

It would not be beyond Pete Rose to try to set up a competing professional baseball league so that he might be commissioner of it.

#13 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,810 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

I know that many people despise Selig...but IMO he has done a lot more good than bad for MLB over his tenure. Revenues have increased faster than inflation, attendance is stronger than any time in history, there's been two decades of relative labor peace. The introduction and later changes to the wild card system haven't ruined the game as many predicted,and in fact have worked as hoped IMO. Inter league play has lost some of the newness factor, but series like Twins/Brewers are an undeniable success. I would like to see the DH rule standardized, but that will probably take some time. People obsess over the AS game deciding home field for the WS, but honestly...BFD.

I hope the new commissioner, on whole, is as successful as Bud.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

Go Twins!

#14 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

I agree Chief he was a very successful commissioner. Revenues are massive, attendance is strong, mlb is among the best in new media and many other positives. This doesn't happen by accident.

He is an easy punching bag for steroids but that issue goes far behind him and mlb does better than any other sport.
  • USAFChief likes this
Papers...business papers.

#15 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

I

I agree Chief he was a very successful commissioner. Revenues are massive, attendance is strong, mlb is among the best in new media and many other positives. This doesn't happen by accident.

He is an easy punching bag for steroids but that issue goes far behind him and mlb does better than any other sport.

But, if he had been willing to take on the steroids issue earlier, would many of those "good" things that Chief mentioned have occurred?  Would there have been massive increased revenues or labor peace?

Was the steroids question (and the future health of players and the teens who looked up to them) as well as the integrity of the game sacrificed to the god of money?

I have very mixed feelings about Selig.  In the long run, it will take someone further removed from his time of service to assess his legacy with any accuracy.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#16 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

I

But, if he had been willing to take on the steroids issue earlier, would many of those "good" things that Chief mentioned have occurred? Would there have been massive increased revenues or labor peace?

Was the steroids question (and the future health of players and the teens who looked up to them) as well as the integrity of the game sacrificed to the god of money?

I have very mixed feelings about Selig. In the long run, it will take someone further removed from his time of service to assess his legacy with any accuracy.

I don't think it would have been possible for Selig to go hard at steroids and still maintain labor peace and revenues at the same level.

I'm probably not the best person to reflect on this though, steroids never bothered me all that much. That is probably one reason I won't be as negative towards Selig as others.

#17 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

Revenue runs baseball, I get that, but I'd sure love to see more day games on the schedule, even if that means it's harder to put butts in seats. TV deals are making a significant portion of teams budgets and watching a game during the day is something I'd like to see more of.

Maybe the next commish will give us that.

Maybe he'll just be the next guy who manages to get 30-0 votes from owners and is just their little pony. I don't know. Having no real info on any of these guys other than what I've read the last couple weeks, either of the three should be fine. Can't see any one of them doing anything crazy.

I'd like to see them add 2 teams to get rid of interleague everyday and move to two divisons in each league. Maybe even have 2 play in games for the post season. Divison winners get a bye, and the next 4 best teams in each league play a play in to head to the divisional round. Who knows.

maybe we'll get balanced schedules too, at least within each league. I'd like to see that too.

#18 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS  · 9m 
Vote produced 22 votes for Rob Manfred, only 1 short of election. 22-8 (werner got 8) Still work to do. #MLB #Commissioner

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Insiders who don't like change! Yay!

Lighten up Francis....

#20 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Insiders who don't like change! Yay!

I would be careful in what you wish for. The most likely "change" from an outsider would be a hardline stance against the union. That wouldn't end well.

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

Actually, the internal guy is rumored to want that.......

I'd like the most likely to change to be around speeding up the game for real, and getting rid of the stupid black out rules......that would be a nice start.

Lighten up Francis....

#22 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Overall, I think Selig has done a pretty good job.  Revenue is great.  Most teams have new stadiums now.  I think 21 have been built under his tenure.  Consolidating the American and National League offices, consolidating the umpire pool, and realignment with introduction of wild cards are some of the good things that have happened under his tenure.  The steroid era, the All Star game tie, the strike of 1994, and of course possible contraction are some of the bad things that happened under his tenure whether he was the commissioner or acting commissioner. 

A few things like would like to see or at least see addressed:

I would like to see a more balanced schedule within each league.

Possibly limit interleague play to be three years on, three years off.  The three years on you could have a home and away series with each division in the opposite league.

Perhaps having the DH rule apply to both leagues.

#23 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Totally disagree on interleague play, I don't get why people don't want a chance to see all the best players live.

Lighten up Francis....

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Actually, the internal guy is rumored to want that.......

I'd like the most likely to change to be around speeding up the game for real, and getting rid of the stupid black out rules......that would be a nice start.

I must read different rumors. I always read Mansfred was more or less a continuation of the labor policies of Selig. It is hardline owners (like Reinsdorf) that want a change.

#25 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS  · 2m 
Manfred is new commissioner. #MLB

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Meh. I always have and will continue to hold the torch for Bob Costas as MLB commissioner.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Whoever it is better make speeding up the game the number one priority.

#28 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,921 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

You can go vote for that as the #1 priority at ESPN.

#29 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,810 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

I don't see much room for that, unless you shorten the time between innings, and that ain't happening.

Go Twins!

#30 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

I don't see much room for that, unless you shorten the time between innings, and that ain't happening.

I know there is some experimentation out there with trying to shorten the gaps between pitches.  So there is less of a song and dance constantly with guys going in and out of the box.

The game was played in shorter lengths of time in the past, I'd push to get back there.