Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

When will we finally hear about Willingham, Correia, Nolasco, Mauer et al clearing trade waivers

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Mauer and Nolasco probably not on trade waivers until they are activated from the disabled list.

Now that the names have started to roll in on who has cleared revocable waivers, anyone want

to venture a guess on when we will here if Willingham and Correia have cleared revocable waivers.

What are the chances that the Twins let either go as a pure salary dump?

#2 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Since the Twins are under their projected salary budget, they don't need to dump salary. If any moves are made it won't be because of salaries, it will be due to performance.

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Since the Twins are under their projected salary budget, they don't need to dump salary. If any moves are made it won't be because of salaries, it will be due to performance.

I disagree 100%. Both Willingham and Correia are in the final year of free-agent contracts. Almost certainly,they won't be part of the 2015 Twins. Saving 15 to 25% of their respective salaries is real money, but more to the point, 2015 alternatives can be auditioned for 30 to 50 games.

Edited by stringer bell, 05 August 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

yeah, this isn't salary related... that said, you'll hear when they clear waivers, and not until then.

#5 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

FYI, Mauer won't be put on waivers as he can't be traded anyway.

#6 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

FYI, Mauer won't be put on waivers as he can't be traded anyway.

That's not entirely true, but your point is still valid (if that makes sense). The Twins DID put Mauer on waivers in 2012, despite the fact that he had the same trade restrictions that he has now (he cleared). They declined in 2013 because the move in 2012 "caused too much confusion" I doubt they would put him on waivers if they feared "confusion" in 2013 - plus, as you said, he'd need to approve any trade anyway, making the whole thing sort of moot.

That being said, with the way they've been operating this year, it wouldn't stun me if they ran him out on waivers just to do it.

Edited by iTwins, 06 August 2014 - 06:52 AM.

#7 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

I still say the best move on Mauer is trade him to the Red Sox. He could be a Cuddyer-level RF for the next ten years, batting .350 and banging 80+ doubles off the Green Monster until he can't waive a stick anymore. All those warning track shots that are being caught in left field today would bounce off that wall in Boston for singles and doubles. Plus, if he ever does learn to pull and elevate inside pitches - which he would get a lot more of - Mauer might just develop into a decent home run threat.

None of that will happen here, because the left field wall is too far away. Twins could move Mauer to RF, but then where do you put legitimate power hitter Arcia?

#8 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

I still say the best move on Mauer is trade him to the Red Sox. He could be a Cuddyer-level RF for the next ten years, batting .350 and banging 80+ doubles off the Green Monster until he can't waive a stick anymore. All those warning track shots that are being caught in left field today would bounce off that wall in Boston for singles and doubles. Plus, if he ever does learn to pull and elevate inside pitches - which he would get a lot more of - Mauer might just develop into a decent home run threat.

None of that will happen here, because the left field wall is too far away. Twins could move Mauer to RF, but then where do you put legitimate power hitter Arcia?

I've often thought this too. Or Colorado. I still think Mauer will recover. He's a 3-time MLB batting champion. It's not up to chance. He's a smart hitter. And I think he'll rebound to produce some .300+ seasons yet. But he is who he is as a player. He might squeek into that 12-15 HR range, but that's probably it. In Colorado, where Cuddyer has hit .315 for his career (.292 at the Metrodome, .282 at Target Field) and and Morneau has hit .318 at Coors (274 at Metrodome, .279 at Target Field) - I believe Mauer could thrive.

Incidently, Mauer's numbers at both Colorado and Boston vs the Metrodome and Target Field:

Metrodome: .326/.405/.477

Target Field: .314/.393/.415

Fenway:       .293/.388/.506

He only has 9 ABs at Colorado....

at Tropicana Field he has .406/.508/.594 in 130 PAs.

at Anaheim he has a .364/.432/.534 statline in 132 PAs.

So maybe warmer weather is where Joe needs to be. I can understand that sentiment, as I'm a MN transplant to Texas.

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Mauer would be great in Fenway, but I just don't see the sox giving up enough to get him. I'd do it for the right players, since it also frees up money to buy more FAs.....but it isn't going to happen. No. Chance.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Other than being healthy what makes people think a team would want to trade for Correia. It wouldbe more likely a team would want Pino over Correia for pitchers on the Twins who might not be back next year. Pino has even pitched well enough this year that the team would resign Pino long before Correia.

#11 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

If Mauer was going to be moved to the Red Sox it would have been in 2012.  He was playing well, he was still a catcher and the Red Sox had cleared payroll space with their big trade with the Dodgers.  They had the prospects to acquire Mauer at the time as well.  There were even rumors of interest.  Alas, it didn't happen and there is no way it does now.

#12 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Has this turned into a trade Joe Mauer thread? Ugh.

MLB Trade Rumors has reported some players clearing waivers, but no Twins yet. I'm sure Correia will and possibly Willingham. And if someone claims them, we should work out a trade with that team anyways.

• Beezer07 likes this

#13 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Here's a link to the list that MLBTradeRumors will keep updating, as people clear waivers

http://www.mlbtrader...le-waivers.html

• ashburyjohn likes this

#14 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 8,010 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'm going to assume the "80+ doubles" was intentional exageration...the all time single season record for doubles is 67, and nobody has even 60 since the 1930s.

Go Twins!

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

I'm sure Correia will and possibly Willingham. And if someone claims them, we should work out a trade with that team anyways give them away and run in the opposite direction.

Fixed.

• JB_Iowa, mike wants wins, snepp and 1 other like this

#16 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

I'm going to assume the "80+ doubles" was intentional exageration...the all time single season record for doubles is 67, and nobody has even 60 since the 1930s.

Veering a bit off-topic, but Knobby was on pace for 60+ doubles in '94. :)

• gil4 and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

Fixed.

Have you been waiting for the right moment for your first StrikeThrough?  Well-played sir.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

C'mon Chief, Jimbo definitely put a qualifier in there:

He could be a Cuddyer-level RF for the next ten years, batting .350 and banging 80+ doubles off the Green Monster until he can't waive a stick anymore

I think he meant 80+ doubles AMORTIZED over "the next ten years"... :whacky028:

Edited by jokin, 06 August 2014 - 08:53 PM.

• mike wants wins likes this

#19 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Wed Aug 6. Joe Mauer in Cedar Rapids No hits with one strikeout in 3 at bats.

#20 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Everyone was right. He is right where he left off before the injury.

Do or do not. There is no try.

#21 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

I disagree 100%. Both Willingham and Correia are in the final year of free-agent contracts. Almost certainly,they won't be part of the 2015 Twins. Saving 15 to 25% of their respective salaries is real money, but more to the point, 2015 alternatives can be auditioned for 30 to 50 games.

Correia is 99.99 gone for 2015, but Willingham, not nearly as much.  I believe that Willingham will be offered a "team-friendly", one year contract.  I estimate a cut of at least 50%.

#22 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

I guarantee you Mauer will hit. Mark my words - by the end of the week he will be promoted to New Britain.
  • USAFChief likes this

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 8,010 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

I guarantee you Mauer will hit. Mark my words - by the end of the week he will be promoted to New Britain.

And skip high A? Not a chance.
  • mike wants wins and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Go Twins!

#24 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Has this turned into a trade Joe Mauer thread? Ugh.

MLB Trade Rumors has reported some players clearing waivers, but no Twins yet. I'm sure Correia will and possibly Willingham. And if someone claims them, we should work out a trade with that team anyways  give them away and run in the opposite direction.

Fixed.

I see what you did there.

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

Have you been waiting for the right moment for your first StrikeThrough? Well-played sir.

Indeed I have.