Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing from left to right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature near 80.
ChiTown will be along with the lineups. I'm not sure what "a long" is exactly. But... She will be longing it up here in a bit.
Oh RB, there are so many ways to go with that statement ... but none suitable for here. So on that note, here they are:
Things to Think About:
1. Interleague Baseball -- The Padres? We are playing the Padres!!! This has happened 12 times total in history. The Twins own the Padres... Own them... 9 and 3 baby... We have a 6 game winning streak to protect with sweeps in 2011 and 2008. That's Right... We beat the crap out of Khalil Greene and Brian Giles and followed it up by beating the crap out of Orlando Hudson and Jason Bartlett. Get those homer hankies... Swing them in the air and make some noise. Let the Padres know what kind of atmosphere they are walking into.
2. The 2014 Padres -- They fired the GM mid-season!!! That was kind of statement on the direction of the club. No idea if it was the right move or not but they had the type of club that many of us are asking for. A team with young talented youngsters. Youngsters that were not performing that well. Grandal - Alonso- Gyorko - Cabrera - are all young and all highly rated prospects at one time. You can go young... You can go old... A GM is apparently only safe if he wins. The offense has been one of worst in baseball this year and has spoiled some decent pitching. The Padres are 51 and 60 and the Twins are 50 and 60.
3. Jesse Hahn -- Here's a guy who snuck up on a lot of people but I'm not so sure he should have snuck up anyone. He's from Groton Connecticut. Which is so deep into Connecticut that it's almost Rhode Island. He pitches in College for Virginia Tech which is so deep into Virginia that you don't where shoes. He was drafted in the 6th round by the Tampa Rays in 2010. He was traded to the Padres as part of 7 player trade this off season that involved nobody important. All Jesse has done since joining the professional ranks is get people out. It doesn't matter what the level. He just gets people out. He's never posted an ERA under 3.00. His rise has been rapid and pretty much unreported but his ability to get people out has allowed him to skip AAA. How good has he been in 2014 for the Padres? 53.2 Innings... 54 K's... 2.01 ERA... WHIP 1.025. I've never seen him pitch but I will be watching tonight because I want to know exactly who this guy is.
4. Jedd Gyorko -- They have a guy playing 2B whose name is pronounced JERK-OH... Or Close enough to that. I'm pretty sure that nobody made fun of that last name in High School. Brian Dozier is turning into a Gyorko. If he isn't careful he is. Gyorko is a 2B with legit power. Last year... his rookie year... He hit .249 with 23 dingers. That was kinda Dozier-esque. This year Gyorko helped get the GM fired by struggling horribly. He's been trying to come out of it lately but he was in a big hole. So far in 2014 he's hitting .181 with 7 dingers. Do I have a point... not really... I never do... But... Swinging for the fences all the time can get you in trouble. Both Gyorko and Dozier are capable of more than just homers.
5. Showers -- Our shower is the most used thing on the planet... I'm pretty sure it is. With my oldest son home from college. They are both home now and they both take showers when they get up... Usually around noon... They take a shower... eat something... then they go work out at the Gym and then they come home and shower again. They both seem to squeeze another shower in before they go to bed at 4 in the morning. In case you are wondering... Yes... I will take a shower everyday... when it's open. My wife likes to be clean as well and I have a niece from out of town who is living with us and yes she showers. I got my water bill... Now I have to sell one of them to pay for it all.
Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 05 August 2014 - 03:59 PM.