Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Padres@Twins 8/5 7:10PM

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing from left to right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature near 80.

ChiTown will be along with the lineups. I'm not sure what "a long" is exactly. But... She will be longing it up here in a bit.

Oh RB, there are so many ways to go with that statement ... but none suitable for here.  So on that note, here they are:

PADRES:

SP, Hahn

Cabrera SS

Solarte LF

Smith RF

Medica DH

Gyorco 2B

Venable CF

Grandal C

Alonso 1B

Nelson 3B

TWINS:

SP, Hughes

Santana CF

Dozier 2B

Plouffe 3B

Willingham DH

Vargas 1B

Arcia RF

Suzuki C

Escobar SS

Schaefer LF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Interleague Baseball  -- The Padres? We are playing the Padres!!! This has happened 12 times total in history. The Twins own the Padres... Own them... 9 and 3 baby...  We have a 6 game winning streak to protect with sweeps in 2011 and 2008. That's Right... We beat the crap out of Khalil Greene and Brian Giles and followed it up by beating the crap out of Orlando Hudson and Jason Bartlett. Get those homer hankies... Swing them in the air and make some noise. Let the Padres know what kind of atmosphere they are walking into.

2. The 2014 Padres -- They fired the GM mid-season!!! That was kind of statement on the direction of the club. No idea if it was the right move or not but they had the type of club that many of us are asking for. A team with young talented youngsters. Youngsters that were not performing that well. Grandal - Alonso- Gyorko - Cabrera - are all young and all highly rated prospects at one time. You can go young... You can go old... A GM is apparently only safe if he wins. The offense has been one of worst in baseball this year and has spoiled some decent pitching. The Padres are 51 and 60 and the Twins are 50 and 60.

3. Jesse Hahn -- Here's a guy who snuck up on a lot of people but I'm not so sure he should have snuck up anyone. He's from Groton Connecticut.  Which is so deep into Connecticut that it's almost Rhode Island. He pitches in College for Virginia Tech which is so deep into Virginia that you don't where shoes. He was drafted in the 6th round by the Tampa Rays in 2010. He was traded to the Padres as part of 7 player trade this off season that involved nobody important. All Jesse has done since joining the professional ranks is get people out. It doesn't matter what the level. He just gets people out. He's never posted an ERA under 3.00. His rise has been rapid and pretty much unreported but his ability to get people out has allowed him to skip AAA. How good has he been in 2014 for the Padres? 53.2 Innings... 54 K's... 2.01 ERA... WHIP 1.025. I've never seen him pitch but I will be watching tonight because I want to know exactly who this guy is.

4. Jedd Gyorko -- They have a guy playing 2B whose name is pronounced JERK-OH... Or Close enough to that. I'm pretty sure that nobody made fun of that last name in High School. Brian Dozier is turning into a Gyorko. If he isn't careful he is. Gyorko is a 2B with legit power. Last year... his rookie year... He hit .249 with 23 dingers. That was kinda Dozier-esque. This year Gyorko helped get the GM fired by struggling horribly. He's been trying to come out of it lately but he was in a big hole. So far in 2014 he's hitting .181 with 7 dingers. Do I have a point... not really... I never do... But... Swinging for the fences all the time can get you in trouble. Both Gyorko and Dozier are capable of more than just homers. 

5. Showers -- Our shower is the most used thing on the planet... I'm pretty sure it is. With my oldest son home from college. They are both home now and they both take showers when they get up... Usually around noon... They take a shower... eat something... then they go work out at the Gym and then they come home and shower again. They both seem to squeeze another shower in before they go to bed at 4 in the morning. In case you are wondering... Yes... I will take a shower everyday... when it's open. My wife likes to be clean as well and I have a niece from out of town who is living with us and yes she showers. I got my water bill... Now I have to sell one of them to pay for it all.   

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 05 August 2014 - 03:59 PM.

• glunn, Willihammer, Rick Blaine and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

#2 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Marching for... Science

• Members
  • 6,811 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Now I have to sell one of them to pay for it all.

Have they cleared waivers yet?
  • ashburyjohn, glunn, ScrapTheNickname and 2 others like this

"Reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." -- R.P. Feynman

#3 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

I would click "like" but I don't see how on my phone.

#4 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Marching for... Science

• Members
  • 6,811 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

I would click "like" but I don't see how on my phone.

867-5309.
  • Riverbrian and Sconnie like this

"Reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." -- R.P. Feynman

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

So tomorrow is student day which means you can get a standing room only ticket for $5 if you have a valid student id. Does anyone know if it has to be a student id for a Minnesota school?

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#6 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 15,463 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

So tomorrow is student day which means you can get a standing room only ticket for $5 if you have a valid student id. Does anyone know if it has to be a student id for a Minnesota school?

I can't imagine they would make that caveat.  How many Minnesotans go away to school, but return home for summers, or other events? I guess that doesn't answer your question, though.

#7 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

I can't imagine they would make that caveat.  How many Minnesotans go away to school, but return home for summers, or other events? I guess that doesn't answer your question, though.

Maybe I should call someone. I don't plan on going tomorrow, but I know they have the student day every couple of weeks.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#8 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 15,463 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

Maybe I should call someone. I don't plan on going tomorrow, but I know they have the student day every couple of weeks.

yeah, call the ticketing number.  

#9 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

If Vargas gets two hits tonight he will have matched the season total of Florimon (7).

#10 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Ooooo wow outfield looks a bit rough

#11 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 15,518 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Have they cleared waivers yet?

Still waiting to find out... I stupidly gave them a guaranteed contract.
  • ScrapTheNickname likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,483 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Schaefer gets the start in left. Let him play a game and get used to Target Field. I hope he gets on and steals a couple of bases.

#13 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

Schafer going yard in first AB, Im  putting money on it

Career Game Thread Record: 1-0

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 15,518 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

Schaefer gets the start in left. Let him play a game and get used to Target Field. I hope he gets on and steals a couple of bases.

Schaefer was supposed to be a superstar coming thru the Atlanta Minors. Still a faint hope he can figure something out as an older dude.

We still learn stuff at our age... Don't we String.

(Pause) Umm... Well maybe not.

Founded 4-23-16 

#15 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Doesn't the bat look like a toothpick in his hands?
  • Riverbrian likes this

#16 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Vargas is a young version of Adam Dunn

#17 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Schafer going yard in first AB, Im  putting money on it

How many pennies?

• Riverbrian likes this

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 15,518 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

Doesn't the bat look like a toothpick in his hands?

It does... I like having a physically imposing player on the squad. But I gotta say... I'm gonna like him more when he tattoos a curve ball. I haven't seen him touch one yet.

Founded 4-23-16 

#19 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

How many pennies?

Whats a higher chance? Him hitting a homerun in 1st AB? or Vargas touching a Curve?

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 15,518 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Whats a higher chance? Him hitting a homerun in 1st AB? or Vargas touching a Curve?

I gotta go with Vargas hitting a curve.

A. He's surely seen one before
B. He's surely gonna see more of them as long as he keeps whiffing on em.

Founded 4-23-16