Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Are You Still Watching The Twins? TV Viewership Continues To Slide

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let The Winning Begin!

• Members
  • 4,529 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

For those who are bringing up Dick and Bert... They could be playing a role but that's like Sundance worrying about not being able to swim when the fall is probably going to kill you. It's the team and the quality of baseball you are watching. 

I don't care about their impact on ratings.

I care about my tired ears. 

• Riverbrian and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#42 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

I do watch them. I also do other things with my time, too. Same as always.
Take your time, and do it right. - N. Fury

#43 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

Not lately. I just check the stats and do something else. I'm a big fan of prospects and new guys on the team and the team just lacks that appeal. Sure Vargas and Santana have been exciting so far but the pitching does next to nothing.

I want strikeouts, dominant outings, ect. Aces draw attention to teams. Just look at all the hype Price, Lester and the Shark got when they were traded. If the Twins had one of those, that would up the interest some.

#44 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,927 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Four years of mediocrity or worse is bound to take a bite out of TV and radio ratings. The Twins' strategy of going with mediocre veterans doesn't excite either the casual fan or the diehard. Adding exciting players with a future will help, but nothing will help more than winning.

#45 freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

I'm in the same boat here. Basketball seems to be an inferior product as a whole. I watched the NBA Finals mainly due to the Spurs and actually seeing a group of players play basketball with a relatively high basketball IQ.

The Vikings have just been horrible - not sure about the rest of the NFL. Of the games I've watched though, I do feel the game has changed, tons of passing - I don't like the 'touch the QB' penalties and the over the top protect the WRs the NFL game has taken. Makes it too easy to score in my opinion. I, admittedly, have a bias or greater enjoyment towards watching defense.

Hockey, meh.

I'll have to disagree with your sentiment on the NBA.  These last 6-7 years have been some of the best I've ever seen.  This year was a bit down because the east was weak, but the western playoffs were phenomenal.  There are so many good franchises right now, and it is fun to watch these different styles going head to head.  The league probably bottomed out in the late 90s/early 00s*, but it is definitely back IMO.

*Granted I wasn't around to watch the "product" that was getting played in the late 70s/early 80s, back when playing defense was a waste of energy that was better spent finding a quality coke dealer during road trips.

BYTO R.I.P.

#46 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

Last night's game is why I am a fan, and like to watch baseball, or at least tune in on the radio while futzing around the house.

Jordan Shafer gets a single in his first at-bat as a Twin, and in a flash, he's standing on second base. Bad jump, but lightning speed made the difference.

Phil Hughes pitches a tidy game, giving way to Kennys Vargas' power. Good pitching, timely hitting. Good baseball.

Others have said (Seth?) that the Twins are a better team now, than they were at the trading deadline. That should continue with the return of Mauer and Nolasco. I certainly don't expect a return to contention this year, but stranger things have happened. What's most enjoyable is watching a team come together. Add May, Meyer, and Milone, and we will definitely have something to watch over the next two months.

#47 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

Last night's game is why I am a fan, and like to watch baseball, or at least tune in on the radio while futzing around the house.

Exactly. Last night was a great example of why I always tune in. Twins / Padres? Two equally bad teams playing in August - skip it, right?

If you did, you missed Vargas striking out on a breaking ball in the 1st inning, only to wait for that same breaking ball in the 6th. The payoff was one of the prettiest Target Field home runs we've seen this year. Vargas has such an effortless swing, at first I thought he just dumped the ball into RF - but his power is incredible - and that nice, easy swing deposted a ball into the second tier of the RF overlook.

That development / progression of young players is why I think the late season is as much "must see TV" as the rest of the year. Plus, Phil Hughes is always fun to watch on the mound (STRIKEOUTS!)

• Don't Feed the Greed Guy likes this

#48 IowaTwin346

IowaTwin346

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Living in Eastern Iowa I do not get most Twins games on TV or radio and the last few years the black outs have gotten worse.Everytime I think I am going to get to watch a game on ESPN or Fox it is blacked out.The only ones I get to see usually are the games against the White Sox on Comcast and then you get to listen to Hawk... 

Even with bad baseball being played I would love to be able to watch more. Blackouts in baseball are the worst. 

#49 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

With three kids ages 3 and younger, I get to watch a lot of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.I long to watch even half a game!

• Riverbrian and twinsfan34 like this

#50 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

I'll have to disagree with your sentiment on the NBA.  These last 6-7 years have been some of the best I've ever seen.  This year was a bit down because the east was weak, but the western playoffs were phenomenal.  There are so many good franchises right now, and it is fun to watch these different styles going head to head.  The league probably bottomed out in the late 90s/early 00s*, but it is definitely back IMO.

*Granted I wasn't around to watch the "product" that was getting played in the late 70s/early 80s, back when playing defense was a waste of energy that was better spent finding a quality coke dealer during road trips.

I grew up watching Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwon, Magic Johnson, Patrick Ewing, John Stockton & Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, and David Robinson.

You'll find that MOST of those players, in addition to their offense, were great defenders.

Then you had next tier guys like Gary Payton who would exploit matchups in the post. Players had many different skills instead of just hoisting 3 pointers and having no court sense to understand matchups. If you can't beat your guy off the dribble, shoot a 3 mentality. Then there's the Clyde Drexler's to the Scottie Pippen and Kevin McHale types. Elite defenders and multi-faceted offensive games as well.

I played and coached some form of basketball since I was 5. This is a horrible stretch of NBA talent. Wasted 1st round picks and very few elite players who can pass, defend, and exploit offensive matchups.

People forget that Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Olajuwon, Ewing, Malone, etc...even little John Stockton - they all shot over 50% from the field. They all could pass - they all could defend. Bird, with no knees, and possible the slowest player in the league, still averaged 2 steals per game. To go along with his 26-10-5 and his 50-90-40 from the field.

LeBron got smarter in MIA....saw his FG% rise, but take out the Spurs and Kevin Durant, maybe Kevin Love and Steph Curry - what kind of NBA did you have last year? or even the past 6-7 years.

FG is about 4-5% lower on average versus when those players played and the irony is the blocked shots are way down. (worse defense)

It's basically why a team like the Spurs, older, not overly talented, can DESTORY (14+ ppg) a team with three "Stars" on it like the Heat. The Spurs also averaged 10 ppg more than the Thunder (the other NBA star).

The Spurs are probably the only team that can play with title teams of the 90's and early 2000's IMO. The heat would have been smoked for 20+ ppg by many of those teams.

• TheLeviathan and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#51 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

I grew up watching Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwon, Magic Johnson, Patrick Ewing, John Stockton & Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, and David Robinson.

You'll find that MOST of those players, in addition to their offense, were great defenders.

Then you had next tier guys like Gary Payton who would exploit matchups in the post. Players had many different skills instead of just hoisting 3 pointers and having no court sense to understand matchups. If you can't beat your guy off the dribble, shoot a 3 mentality. Then there's the Clyde Drexler's to the Scottie Pippen and Kevin McHale types. Elite defenders and multi-faceted offensive games as well.

I played and coached some form of basketball since I was 5. This is a horrible stretch of NBA talent. Wasted 1st round picks and very few elite players who can pass, defend, and exploit offensive matchups.

People forget that Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Olajuwon, Ewing, Malone, etc...even little John Stockton - they all shot over 50% from the field. They all could pass - they all could defend. Bird, with no knees, and possible the slowest player in the league, still averaged 2 steals per game. To go along with his 26-10-5 and his 50-90-40 from the field.

LeBron got smarter in MIA....saw his FG% rise, but take out the Spurs and Kevin Durant, maybe Kevin Love and Steph Curry - what kind of NBA did you have last year? or even the past 6-7 years.

FG is about 4-5% lower on average versus when those players played and the irony is the blocked shots are way down. (worse defense)

It's basically why a team like the Spurs, older, not overly talented, can DESTORY (14+ ppg) a team with three "Stars" on it like the Heat. The Spurs also averaged 10 ppg more than the Thunder (the other NBA star).

The Spurs are probably the only team that can play with title teams of the 90's and early 2000's IMO. The heat would have been smoked for 20+ ppg by many of those teams.

This is significantly OT but I think you're premise that blocked shots and steals are the keys to good defense is wrong.Those things definitely help but they are the icing on the cake.The real keys to good defense are quick feet, anticipation and intelligence in varying quantities.It's much more important to be able to deny the ball and stay in front of your man when he puts the ball on the floor forcing an off balance shot than it is to pick a pocket once or twice a game.

#52 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'm pretty sure next to insufferable in the dictionary is the picture of the morning crew in question.

You know your show is in trouble when Chris Hawkey is the mature and intelligent one.Meat Head or Sauce or whatever sounds almost exactly like Jason Segal imitating Andre the Giant in I Love You Man, and 30 seconds is the longest I've been able to listen to Corey Cove.

As for the Twins, injuries to Sano and Buxton and the Twins'continuing refusal to promote their best pitching prospects to the majors is making it hard for me to get terribly excited about them.

Most serious fans aren't terribly discouraged by the team being out of contention.But watching new kids in their early and mid 20's lose 90 while they learn their way around the majors is one thing.Watching a losing team that ranked as one of the 10 oldest rosters in MLB to open the season is entirely another.

At one point back in June, I remember thinking "Would I be watching this game if it weren't for Dozier's phenomenal start?"Arcia's glimpses of his power potential, Santana's speed, and Vargas' great debut have made the Twins more watchable, but it's nothing like the tidal wave of prospect promotions that was highly (and perhaps wrongly) anticipated before the season.

Disappointment like that can't be good for TV ratings.

Edited by LaBombo, 06 August 2014 - 04:39 PM.

• mike wants wins likes this

#53 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Speaking of LeBron, Frank Caliendo reading his letter to Ohio in his Morgan Freeman impression is both funny and almost creepily spot-on. 

#54 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,888 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

You know your show is in trouble when Chris Hawkey is the mature and intelligent one.Meat Head or Sauce or whatever sounds almost exactly like Jason Segal imitating Andre the Giant in I Love You Man, and 30 seconds is the longest I've been able to listen to Corey Cove.

I think I'm glad I listen to MPR.
  • mike wants wins and LaBombo like this
Take your time, and do it right. - N. Fury

#55 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

Wow.  30 seconds?  That long?

• LaBombo likes this

#56 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,889 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Ha, OT.....but I think Hawkey is not the most mature at all. Corey Cove is by far more mature, imo. But, ya, I only last about 30 seconds and then remember why I should stop listening.......

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#57 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

This is significantly OT but I think you're premise that blocked shots and steals are the keys to good defense is wrong.Those things definitely help but they are the icing on the cake.The real keys to good defense are quick feet, anticipation and intelligence in varying quantities.It's much more important to be able to deny the ball and stay in front of your man when he puts the ball on the floor forcing an off balance shot than it is to pick a pocket once or twice a game.

I agree. Block shots can be a breakdown of defense and someone came over to help. End result could still be a tip in slam. I was trying to say how that would affect FG%. Despite more blocked shots, the FG% was higher. But I did put "(worse defense)" there....I do feel though, where Tyson Chandler is your DPOY you have a week list of candidates. He would have finished maybe 12th in voting with the time period I listed. Clyde Drexler to Gary Payton would have even finished higher than he did. Nevermind the Dikembe Mutombo, David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, John Stockton, Hakeem Olajuwon, etc, etc.

But yes, totally agree that defense is other thing. It's why Bruce Bowen was 1st or 2nd Team Defense for 8 years despite no more than 1 spg and 0.5 bpg. Team Defense and Individual defense are different, but often related.

And I apologize for taking the topic OT. I will cease and desist.

Go Kenny Vargas!!

#58 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Four years of mediocrity or worse is bound to take a bite out of TV and radio ratings.

The escalating price of cable doesn't help either. I cut the cord and the only thing I miss watching is the Twins.

#59 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

I watch every night as usual. Miss maybe 5-10 a year. It's tough to watch them when they are bad, but I'm still a fan and I still like baseball. Having Dozier, Vargas, Santana, Hughes and Arcia on the team helps. Those players are fun to watch most of the time and hopefully they'll add a pitcher or two to that list.. 

The only reason I have cable is for the Twins/Wild.

#60 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

I have not even considered mlb.tv for the last 3 years.I have a baseball game on (cable TV) in the background 2-3 days/wk.I wish it was occasionally the Twins but I don't care enough to watch this ineptitude. 

Next year might be a different story though.Hughes/gibson/Meyer/May pitching with Vargas/buxton/Dozier/Arcia/Sano/Santana and others at some point could make for an interesting team to watch.

It is a little strange to watch baseball at 7am though.

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.