Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Are You Still Watching The Twins? TV Viewership Continues To Slide

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

On Monday morning, the Star Tribune's Michael Rand (aka @Randball), wondered aloud why people were still watching the Minnesota Twins.

While it may seem very active when logged onto Twitter, the recent statistics suggest that the TV landscape for the Minnesota Twins is increasingly becoming a very lonely world. Since the losing seasons have begun to pile up, the team has lost viewers at a swift pace. 

In November 2013, the Star Tribune reported that the Twins were averaging 73,000 households locally -- a far cry from the 2010 heyday when over double that amount (152,000 households) would tune in all summer long. This year, according to the BusinessJournal.com, the team lost nearly a quarter of their ratings over the first-half of the 2014 season. According to Forbes.com's recently released statistics, the Twins are down to averaging 71,000 households this year -- meaning 2,000 more households have purged themselves of having to watch this team. 

Not all is lost for the organization, however. According to the Forbe's report, the Twins still remain - on average - the third-highest watched program in prime time locally. 

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

I still get excited to watch the Twins game every day. I love baseball.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, gunnarthor, James and 4 others like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

It's bad baseball and the weather is beautiful, I've tuned out.  With some good call-ups they might get my attention back.

• LaBombo likes this

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 10,141 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

I never watch them, don't have cable......I do listen, and watch on ESPN. But I hope more and more people tune them out. Until people take away their money, what incentive do the really have to change things?

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#5 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Yeah, I've been, well, okay with finding other stuff to do, even the mundane, which is less mundane than some of the games.  But I've seen bits and pieces of most games, just not all, and not all the way through at this point.

Idiots will be idiots. Recognize it and don't be one yourself or engage in pointless dialog. Unless you are trying to entertain yourself.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

I never watch them, don't have cable......I do listen, and watch on ESPN. But I hope more and more people tune them out. Until people take away their money, what incentive do the really have to change things?

I agree with the latter part of your post, but I admit to being hopelessly addicted to baseball.  The Twins have lost over half of their TV audience from 2010, but it looks like there is a floor of support right around the current level-  I'm not sure how you square the Business Journal report with the Forbes report of a loss of viewers from 73,000 to 71,000- that's only a 2.7% drop-off year-over-year. which is practically statistical noise.   

BTW, Mike.....How do you watch on ESPN if you don't have cable?

Edited by jokin, 05 August 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#7 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm not sure how you square the Business Journal report with the Forbes report of a loss of viewers from 73,000 to 71,000

Just to explain the difference -- the Business Journal -24% drop was based on ratings share while the Forbes stat was purely households. 

From Wikipedia:

Share is the percentage of television sets in use tuned to the program. For example, Nielsen may report a show as receiving a 9.2/15 during its broadcast, meaning that on average 9.2 percent of all television-equipped households were tuned in to that program at any given moment, while 15 percent of households watching TV were tuned into that program during this time slot. The difference between rating and share is that a rating reflects the percentage of the total population of televisions tuned to a particular program while share reflects the percentage of televisions actually in use.

Confusing. I know.

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#8 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

I watch. Even when I dread what I will see.I watch, usually until the last out. These Twins have a way of scoring runs in the late innings, so that there is always hope.I watch. Its a compulsion, but I watch.

• jokin and Tibs like this

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Baseball is about the only sport I even care about anymore.  Don't watch hockey or basketball.  Watch maybe half the Viking games if I can't find anything better to do.  But I do watch probably 90% of the Twins games.  

#10 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

I live in greater Dallas, TX. So I have MLB.TV...I watch games if I'm home. I had caught a majority of the games before the All-Star break, but lost momentum (as I do each year) due to the All-Star break.

The July 31st trade that resulted in the Vargas call up had me going back to watch the archived games of his At-bats. Otherwise, unless there was a few noteworthy stats I see in the game writeups or box scores I won't go back and watch the games. I do plan on watching tonight vs the Padres. If they called up May or Meyer, I'd for sure watch those games or watch the archive if I wasn't able to watch it live.

The Cubs called up Javier Baez yesterday...he's the beginning of their wave of players. Jorge Solar will likely be up with the Sept call-ups (he's on the 40 man roster) so I plan on watching those games. A young lineup that already has Anthony Rizzo (1B), Armydes Alcantara (2B/SS), and Starlin Castro (SS) that will only get more fun to watch the following Spring when the Cubs likely add Kris Bryant to that lineup. By the Fall they could potentially add Addison Russell (now at AA) and Kyle Schwarber (raking at A+).

With the Twins injuries to Sano and Buxton and the suspension of Rosario, we fell behind the timetable of prospects arrival that the Cubs are now experiecing (now or in the very short future is likely when Sano or Buxton may have appeared on the MLB). Now we're looking at possibly late 2015.

In lieu of that time-table, I, as I would any year, would prefer them try the young guys. I would watch every game Meyer and May pitched and likely most of the games if the Twins lineup had Pinto, Arcia, Vargas, Rosario, Santana, and Polanco in the everyday lineup. I don't think Rosario is ready, but those other guys could warrant MLB at-bats. And if they don't do well, we drop from 8th/9th overall draft pick to somewhere back to the previous drafts (4th/5th) and they have something to 'dwell on' and work on over the Winter months to be ready for Spring training. Sort of like a flu shot or any other vaccine if you will.

Edited by twinsfan34, 05 August 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Fan

• Twins Mods
  • 8,583 posts
  • LocationIt's complicated.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Baseball's good to watch.I don't demand a win in return for my viewership.

• deanlambrecht, James, benchwarmerjim and 3 others like this

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.-- Frank Zappa

#12 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

Baseball is about the only sport I even care about anymore.  Don't watch hockey or basketball.  Watch maybe half the Viking games if I can't find anything better to do.  But I do watch probably 90% of the Twins games.  

I'm in the same boat here. Basketball seems to be an inferior product as a whole. I watched the NBA Finals mainly due to the Spurs and actually seeing a group of players play basketball with a relatively high basketball IQ.

The Vikings have just been horrible - not sure about the rest of the NFL. Of the games I've watched though, I do feel the game has changed, tons of passing - I don't like the 'touch the QB' penalties and the over the top protect the WRs the NFL game has taken. Makes it too easy to score in my opinion. I, admittedly, have a bias or greater enjoyment towards watching defense.

Hockey, meh.

• jokin likes this

#13 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

I watch every game (save for the random few that conflict with weddings, birthdays - etc...and those I just follow on the At Bat app). The Twins can (and do) frustrate me to no end, but I come back everyday to watch them all over again. I love baseball and this team too much to stop paying attention simply because they're playing through a few bad years.

I fully get why some people wouldn't want to tune in. I just can't watch / do something else if I know the game is on and I could be watching.

• jokin and benchwarmerjim like this

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'm in the same boat here. Basketball seems to be an inferior product as a whole. I watched the NBA Finals mainly due to the Spurs and actually seeing a group of players play basketball with a relatively high basketball IQ.

The Vikings have just been horrible - not sure about the rest of the NFL. Of the games I've watched though, I do feel the game has changed, tons of passing - I don't like the 'touch the QB' penalties and the over the top protect the WRs the NFL game has taken. Makes it too easy to score in my opinion. I, admittedly, have a bias or greater enjoyment towards watching defense.

Hockey, meh.

I could have just about posted an identical message.  Basketball was my primary sport, but it really has become inferior, despite sporting some of the very best athletes, the selfish play, predictability of the course of the game, cartoon caricature players, and the interminably tedious replay system that destroys game-flow, it has become largely unwatchable.  Watching the Spurs throughout the playoffs, and especially in (literally and figuratively) destroying the Heat franchise was the one saving grace last season.

Football is overmanaged and little too predictable with the pass-happy approach of the modern NFL, but superior defense again ruled the day in the Super Bowl, the Seahawks overwhelming performance on D was one for the ages.

• twinsfan34 likes this

#15 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

I still watch most of the time.I play in 2 golf leagues a week that start at 5, so miss parts of games.I've enjoyed watching the young guys like Polanco, Santana and Vargas get their chances.I'm pretty pissed off at Mauer this year and wonder just how long he will continue to play, but hope to see him shortly also. 

he's gotta go

#16 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 10,141 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

I meant to say I watch on gamecast on ESPN, not actually ESPN.

Though, sometimes, ESPN.com forgets I don't have cable, and I get to see games....

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,892 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

I"m surprised that it hasn't fallen more.

I also think people giving up cable/satellite is a pretty big issue. Twins Cities has one of the lowest subscription rates in the country and I think it will continue to drop. That is why I don't watch, but I certainly go to games, follow on mlb.com, and listen on the radio.

Papers...business papers.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Baseball's good to watch.I don't demand a win in return for my viewership.

Pretty much where I'm at.  It's such a difficult set of skills to master, and strategies to employ (and second-guess).  And just when you think you've seen everything, something unique in either strategy or outcome, or in this case, both, happens. (IE., the Royals 4 infielders on the right side of 2B against Parmelee, the second baseman was practically right behind the first baseman holding Dozier at 1B- and then Gordon "trapped/caught" Parmelee's fly- leaving the umpiring crew in a quandry on where to place Dozier if the play call was overturned and ruled a hit).

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,892 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

I'm also waiting for them to wave the "get good" wand. What is Terry Ryan waiting for?

But I do think they will play the one card they have and bring in a new manager after the season, but not sure how much that decision is based on declining TV ratings.

Papers...business papers.

#20 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

I catch maybe a total of 15-20 innings a week of MLB at this point, it's really hard to dedicate 3.5 hours to watch a team struggle like this, but the beauty about MLB.tv/At Bat is you can tune in and out throughout the game(s)

If the Twins were in the race I would guess that number would be closer to 25-35 a week at this point.

Baseball is a much better sport to attend in person and is the best to listen to via radio. It lags behind the NFL and NHL TV wise IMO.

• TheLeviathan likes this

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028: