Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher of July 2014

chih-wei hu tyler duffey aaron slegers mat batts jose berrios
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

I don't feel May's stuff is pedestrian by any means. I see a big, strong bodied kid who can make 33 starts every year, throw a 100 pitches per game, rack up innings and SO's in bunches. I think it is WAY too early to pigeon hole someone in to a 1-2-3 starter hole. The word "consistency" is not ugly in any way. It refers to overall effectiveness and consistency. Walks can kill. This is a proven absolute. Further, walks, and long AB's, limit the overall effectiveness of a pitcher to log the appropriate innings to win games, help his team win games, and can result in a greater burden for the bullpen. Are the Twins too conservative with pitchers? Possibly. Not here to argue that point. But a guy who tosses his load in 4 or 5 innings, even with SO's, is not as valuable as a pitcher who can throw fewer overall pitches to accomplish 6-7 innings with the same number of SO's. It's simple, performance logic. I believe May and Meyer are close. I believe the Twins believe they are close. You may be frustrated with the Twins, but they ARE in the baseball business. They are well aware of the fact that May and Meyer...and Berrios...are their top 3 SP prospects at this point. Very few pitchers ever hit the majors and are instant #1 or #2 starters. But with the talent they possess, yes...actual ML experience, and more "consistency", talent like these two can be top of the rotation starters. I'm reminded of Gibson last year, when the Twins stated they wanted to promote him when he seemed ready, so that he would be up to stay for good. Scream conservative regarding the Twins if you will, but is that really a bad idea/philosophy? And Seth's list isn't a top 10 or 20 prospect list, or even a precursor of ML success, but best efforts/performance for a single month.
  • diehardtwinsfan and PseudoSABR like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,569 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

well said Doc.

Edited by diehardtwinsfan, 06 August 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#23 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,019 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

I don't feel May's stuff is pedestrian by any means. I see a big, strong bodied kid who can make 33 starts every year, throw a 100 pitches per game, rack up innings and SO's in bunches. I think it is WAY too early to pigeon hole someone in to a 1-2-3 starter hole. The word "consistency" is not ugly in any way. It refers to overall effectiveness and consistency. Walks can kill. This is a proven absolute. Further, walks, and long AB's, limit the overall effectiveness of a pitcher to log the appropriate innings to win games, help his team win games, and can result in a greater burden for the bullpen. Are the Twins too conservative with pitchers? Possibly. Not here to argue that point. But a guy who tosses his load in 4 or 5 innings, even with SO's, is not as valuable as a pitcher who can throw fewer overall pitches to accomplish 6-7 innings with the same number of SO's. It's simple, performance logic. I believe May and Meyer are close. I believe the Twins believe they are close. You may be frustrated with the Twins, but they ARE in the baseball business. They are well aware of the fact that May and Meyer...and Berrios...are their top 3 SP prospects at this point. Very few pitchers ever hit the majors and are instant #1 or #2 starters. But with the talent they possess, yes...actual ML experience, and more "consistency", talent like these two can be top of the rotation starters. I'm reminded of Gibson last year, when the Twins stated they wanted to promote him when he seemed ready, so that he would be up to stay for good. Scream conservative regarding the Twins if you will, but is that really a bad idea/philosophy? And Seth's list isn't a top 10 or 20 prospect list, or even a precursor of ML success, but best efforts/performance for a single month.

I love you Doc, but you mischaracterized what I said.... that's not what I wrote, this is what was stated:

For example, getting May's BB/9 number down this season with his more pedestrian stuff made a lot of sense, for Meyer, not so much.

Can anyone disagree that May's stuff is more pedestrian than Meyer's?

You and I agree on the assessment of May, and you stated May's ceiling potential quite well.  I've been a backer of May's potential for durability from Day One. And I've really been impressed with his cerebral approach in his quest to becoming a true "pitcher".  I rated him at 50-50 to eventually becoming a middle-end, #3-type major league starter last season.  I think that the odds have now gone up in that regard, and there's now a little light at the end of the tunnel for him in reaching his ceiling, which may be a little higher.  A credit to him and the coaching staff, to be sure. But Meyer and Stewart have the chance to be true aces (and possibly Berrios, as well), there is a qualitative difference between them and May.  

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

My apologies if I misunderstood or mis-interpreted your use of the word "pedestrian" when I read initially. Thought you were saying his stuff was pedestrian in comparison to Meyer, not simply more pedestrian than Meyer's pure stuff. My bad.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,019 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

My apologies if I misunderstood or mis-interpreted your use of the word "pedestrian" when I read initially. Thought you were saying his stuff was pedestrian in comparison to Meyer, not simply more pedestrian than Meyer's pure stuff. My bad.

No problem, Doc.It's all good.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chih-wei hu, tyler duffey, aaron slegers, mat batts, jose berrios