Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Buxton prospect ranking?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uno321

uno321

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

If the Twins do take Buxton, where would he slot in on the Twins prospect rankings? #2 behind Sano?

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

If the Twins do take Buxton, where would he slot in on the Twins prospect rankings? #2 behind Sano?

Yep. BA ranked Sterling #24 last year and they would've put Buxton just ahead of Sterling in the draft. So Buxton should be a top 25 prospect. He'll also, probably, have some short season time this season before next rankings come out.

#3 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, no question. Basically anyone the Twins draft will probably become their No. 2 prospect, which speaks more to the quality of the their farm system than this draft class.

#4 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

This, from Keith Law, on where Byron Buxton ranks in the Twins system:

I'd take him over their current top prospect, Miguel Sano, and that's saying something. The separator for me is that Buxton almost certainly stays in the middle of the field and adds value there, while Sano is already on a corner and may keep moving down the defensive spectrum even as he mashes his way up to Minneapolis.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Law has Sano as a Top 12 prospect in baseball right now. That makes Buxton a Top 10 prospect type. Imagine afte the season if the Twins have Buxton in the Top 10, Sano in the Top 15, Rosario likely in the Top 50, and Arcia in the 70s or 80s. That's four legit Top 100 players, with Kyle Gibson coming back. The Twins will be a little top heavy, but Berrios and Gibson are probably in that 100-150 range if Gibson comes back. Hicks is borderline Top 100 is he can have a decent second half. It's a start, for sure, toward respectability.

#6 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

For me he instantaneously become their best prospect when he was drafted.

#7 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 855 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Until Buxton proves himself a little in the lower levels, I will still have Sano higher on my prospect list. I would place him at #2 for the time being but things can change.