Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Center of Attention

danny santana aaron hicks jordan schafer
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 teekz

teekz

Mr. Awesome

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

I don't mind Santana playing CF until someone better comes along. He seems to be getting better defensively there.

I would like to see Hicks go to AAA now and see if he can get a call up sometime next month. If he can get some confidence back, he still is a very talented player. Maybe when that happens you can put him in CF and get Danny some SS time. Anyway around it, I would like more playing time for guys who might be around next year.

I got nothing!

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Just to give you an idea where Santana is at, he's got 211 MLB PAs so far with a .859 OPS and a 46:11 K:BB ratio.

Pinto at 211 PA had a career .869 OPS and 50:25 K:BB ratio.  This was just about 3 weeks before he was demoted this year.

(Also brought to mind 2005 Jeff Francouer, OPS of .966 after 211 PA, 42:8 K:BB ratio.)

Interesting thing about Santana's minor league career is, it doesn't look particularly streaky.  August was his best month by OPS in both 2012 and 2013.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Actually, Santana finished 2013 with perhaps his best extended streak of minor league hitting ever (.856 OPS from July 27 onward, 157 PA).

Selective endpoints for sure, but roughly last calendar year, Santana's got a .803 OPS in 485 PA, .392 BABIP, with BB% and K% more or less matching his 2014 MLB rates so far.  Biggest drag on that is obviously his .630 AAA OPS from the beginning of this season (even then he had a .377 BABIP).

#24 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Bring back Denard Span for a year. He's a great stopgap option.

#25 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hicks needs to be in therapy.He switches from switch hitter to one way hitter and back to switch hitter in one season! He doesn't know his own mind and he doesn't have the confidence to face adversity.

Look, the kid is 24. I remember my maturity level at that age, and it wasn't pretty at times. Everyone is down with Hicks, and I admit there have been issues with this kid, but, IMHO, the talent is there. Same with Arcia ( and Pinto, as well)- this is a lost year. Let's these kids learn in the bigs, against the best competition. I hate watching the K's persist with Arcia, but I believe he has enormous potential.
If you had a son or daughter failing or having a difficult time at their first job, I would hope your first response wouldn't be to send them to therapy!!

#26 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hicks definitely needs to see AAA before MLB. The pitching in AAA is much more polished than AA-- they can hit their spots and exploit holes in swings. It's important for Hicks to build his confidence up, and it seems that a AAA stint is the best way to accomplish that

• stringer bell likes this

#27 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

I am in the Hicks camp still. He is still quite young, and still posses very good talent. Hey, when Rod Carew believes in you, you have something going for you. No question he wasn't ready for the jump or the pressure. From a few things uttered from coaches and Carew, I think things have come pretty natural for him in the past, and he's finally learning that you have to really work at a certain point to advance and reach your potential. It's only a month, but I'd have him in Rochester tomorrow, just to face arms/guys that are a little better, a little more experienced, to at least get that small stepping stone. And with no promises for next season, I'd have him back up in September. An option has already been used this season, so it doesn't affect him in that regard to close out the year with the parent club. I like Santana to continue in CF for now. For one thing, he doesn't deserve to sit, and he's our best option there. Of course, he should also still see some time at SS. We can't bank on Hicks, Rosario or Buxton for 2015. Whether to supplant Santana at CF or compliment him, I believe someone should and will be brought in. Span has been mentioned, and might be a choice option. As to Santana in particular, his future is still somewhat in doubt, SS, utility or possibly LF. Obviously, Polanco, even Escobar could have a say in this as well. I am not discounting him as a full time SS to be sure. The skill set is there. I wouldn't discount LF as a possibility. A team is made up of many different players and many options. With like the likes of Sano, Buxton, Arcia, say Vargas, Dozier and hopefully a healthy Mauer being Mauer, power and offense/power/RBI potential comes from many places. You also need, and have room for, guys who can hit and run and make things happen in different ways. LF does not have to be solely a power position. Think years ago of Mickey Hatcher playing LF for the Twins. No real speed, no great power, but some gapper and occasional HR power. He played good defense, hit well, made contact, and was a very nice #2 hitter. Santana could be a more exciting version of this.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#28 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Both Santana and Escobar are solid enough to be utility players on a good team. Escobar is more like a Punto and Santana a Bonifacio. While on a bad team, they have an opportunity to improve their command of the strike zone with regular play. Keep them both in place for the remainder of the year.

#29 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

Even if Santana is moved back to shorstop it is good that he has played CF. When Sano comes up I would like to see Plouffe and Arcia platoon in one of the corner OF spots. Arcia can't hit lefties and Plouffe hits them well. Use Escobar at utility he can back up 2b,SS and 3B. Santana plays short and eliminates the need for the 4th outfielder to have to be able to play CF. Santana could be the back up CF and Escobar play SS when needed. 

• jorgenswest likes this

#30 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,186 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Look, the kid is 24. I remember my maturity level at that age, and it wasn't pretty at times. Everyone is down with Hicks, and I admit there have been issues with this kid, but, IMHO, the talent is there. Same with Arcia ( and Pinto, as well)- this is a lost year. Let's these kids learn in the bigs, against the best competition. I hate watching the K's persist with Arcia, but I believe he has enormous potential. If you had a son or daughter failing or having a difficult time at their first job, I would hope your first response wouldn't be to send them to therapy!!

I think that would depend on why they are failing.I don't think Hicks need's therapy as much as the fact that he needs confidence, which is something he lacks.Gardy's comments about how Hick's demeanor changes as soon as the season started tells me this ISa big deal for Hicks.I think some AAA time would be wise, and if he cannot hit there yet this year, then I woudln't count on him as an option for 2015 either.

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Why is Hicks in AA still? Can anyone explain that?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#32 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,753 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

Why is Hicks in AA still? Can anyone explain that?

see: His disastrous 2014 in the majors?

I don't mind the Twins taking a little extra time with him in AA, no need to rush him for a third time IMO, additionally, since he has gone back to switch hitting, perhaps he has been working a lot with the AA hitting coach and still has a ways to go?

Most importantly I think getting Hicks confidence might be the most important part of bringing him back, let him mash AA for a couple more weeks to get that. The fact he is now hitting both RHP and LHP at good clips is very very very encouraging.

Edited by SpiritofVodkaDave, 05 August 2014 - 07:55 AM.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'll ask a different way, why is he not in AAA?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#34 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

re: Santana

I don't really care if they keep in the OF or keep him at SS, but what I care about is that they have a plan.  If he is going to be playing SS next year, get him there over the remainder of this year.Similarly, if he is going to be an outfielder next year, keep him in the outfield.

Have a plan and work it.

• Mike Sixel and Oxtung like this

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

re: Santana

I don't really care if they keep in the OF or keep him at SS, but what I care about is that they have a plan.  If he is going to be playing SS next year, get him there over the remainder of this year.Similarly, if he is going to be an outfielder next year, keep him in the outfield.

Have a plan and work it.

Great post. great post.

#36 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Cory Provus ‏@CoryProvus· 9m 
FWIW...Aaron Hicks was transferred to AAA-Rochester yesterday. Rob Antony mentioned on Sunday's #insidetwins that he'll play all 3 OF spots.

There was dearth of tweets about this.

Apparently Mackey didn't even know:

Phil Mackey ‏@PhilMackey· 12h 
And maybe I'm just being completely unreasonable, but Aaron Hicks is hitting .297/.404/.466 at AA. Shouldn't he try AAA again soon?

He doesn't show up on the Red Wings roster yet.

Edited by JB_Iowa, 05 August 2014 - 09:04 AM.

• Willihammer likes this

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#37 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

If the Twins think Santana has any shot at SS he should be playing there as it is the hardest position to field.If they have determined that isn't his future than keeping him in CF is fine.They need to have a plan for his development that doesn't include trying to straddle a fence but not ever committing.How CF or even SS plays out for the rest of this season is irrelevant except where in it pertains to next season.Every move at this point should be looking to improving the future.

People keep bringing up Span as a one year stop gap at CF for next season but that isn't going to happen.The guy is crushing it.He is going to have his option picked up by the Nationals.Even if he was a FA he would easily get a multi year deal.

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

Agreed, Span is making himself a ton of money right now.

#39 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

People keep bringing up Span as a one year stop gap at CF for next season but that isn't going to happen.The guy is crushing it.He is going to have his option picked up by the Nationals.Even if he was a FA he would easily get a multi year deal.

Span has picked it up lately -- don't know if I'd say "crushing it" as his isolated power is at his career mark.  But his average is up (and by extension his OBP), and his steals -- he's turning in a similar/better offensive season than 2012 which netted Meyer in return.  He should easily be worth 1 year, $9 mil to a contender like Washington.

#40 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Agreed, Span is making himself a ton of money right now.

Wait a minute here....I thought I read from many on Twins Daily that Span's value had completely collapsed after the trade? :)

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: danny santana, aaron hicks, jordan schafer