Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Claim Jordan Schafer from Braves

jordan schafer
  • Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

I will say that it was very fun yesterday watching Schafer, Santana and Nunez stealing bases and showing an element of speed in the lineup that we haven't seen in a while.Jaso had no chance to throw any of them out.

I doubt Schafer is with the team next year but I'm all for having play quite a bit of center the rest of the way so Santana can get back to SS.Santana is turning into the feel good story for the 2014 Twins.

#122 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 13,469 posts
  • LocationFort Myers FL

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Completely get what you're saying, but I will tell you that there are three other outfielders, two of whom are center fielders, on the Braves' 40-man roster that are in AAA.  Acquiring Bonifacio, who would take really the only value that Schafer was providing to the 25-man - speed, made Schafer more dispensable than the other three on the 40-man, all three of whom I'd place below Schafer in organizational charting.  He's likely about the 27th active, and if he was an arm, they'd find a way to make it work, but there's more of him on their 40-man that makes him more removable in their particular case.

Great insights, as it's always useful to have a more detailed scouting report from another organization.I'll close by observing that if there really is a logjam of talent at one position in the Braves' organization, it's surprising a trade of some sort wasn't the solution instead of just a waiver.

Hyperbole is literally the worst thing in the world.

#123 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Great insights, as it's always useful to have a more detailed scouting report from another organization.I'll close by observing that if there really is a logjam of talent at one position in the Braves' organization, it's surprising a trade of some sort wasn't the solution instead of just a waiver.

I think they've tried to move Schafer this season, but there's not a lot of trade market for a guy making over a million to pinch run, even for a low-level type of guy.  He's also had some personality clashes with the coaching staff and front office this season, so it's entirely possible this was a "don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya" sort of response from the team.

Contributor/Minor League Analyst for Tomahawktake.com and CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jordan schafer