Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Claim Jordan Schafer from Braves

jordan schafer
  • Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

I've read (not here, but on Twitter) about his PED suspension and that somehow being a negative. Obviously it's not a positive, but if we're suddenly not going to give players opportunities after PED suspensions, then they need to release Kennys Vargas now!

#42 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

What I'd like to know about Jordan Schafer is how he's getting himself out at the plate. What's he doing wrong - trying to pull everything, over-swinging, a big hole in his swing, etc. There might be something about him that Bruno can work on. Maybe he can borrow Danny Santana's bat and approach. Or Suzuki's.

As usual, I reserve the right to be completely stupid, horribly wrong, and a bad man.

#43 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

He's breathing and has two legs, which I guess fits the bill at this point in time. There are probably more interesting AAAA guys around, but it's all about timing with these filler moves.

#44 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

I'm simply pointing out - from the business side - that it wasn't the best move. I think most of my thinking involves ways to spend less money. (They should just hire me!)

Also, Farris will be a MiLB FA at the end of the year. If he's added, he'll be outrighted off the roster. At the end of the year, his standing with the organization is the same.

#45 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

I've read (not here, but on Twitter) about his PED suspension and that somehow being a negative. Obviously it's not a positive, but if we're suddenly not going to give players opportunities after PED suspensions, then they need to release Kennys Vargas now!

I'd say there is a difference between being involved with HGH and taking dietary supplements to keep your weight under control, but that's just me. The felony drug arrest is probably more alarming.

But it's still an easy flyer to take for two months.

#46 teekz

teekz

Mr. Awesome

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

I suppose it is better than watching a bunch of SS play the outfield.

I got nothing!

#47 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

I don't have a problem with trading Fuld for a decent 4th/5th type starter and then backfilling him with the same kind of waiver wire pick up. It's fine, the team had a need and they filled it. However I agree with Chief, for a team that's supposed to have this fantastic farm system, how is it that there isn't somebody in house who could be ready? I understand that injuries have taken their toll, and Hicks needs some TLC in AAA before he is ready, but it doesn't inspire confidence that the Farm system is as good as it's reputed to be. I'd rather see this type of move than rushing a prospect to ride the big league pine, but I'd rather see some exciting prospects rather than cast offs. I'd rather see Santana at SS and a guy like Rosario or Buxton or Hicks in CF. Unfortunately Buxton/Rosario/Hicks isn't ready, so we see Santana make the best of it, and Jordan Schafer ride the pine.

#48 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

That the Twins, in year four of consecutive 90 loss seasons, are claiming Jordon Shafer in August, and he will most likely end up on the 25 man roster, does not say anything good about the status of the "rebuild."

In fact, it is a pretty damning indictment, IMO.

I don't think this move says a thing about the rebuild. Arcia, Gibson, Hughes, Santana, Polanco, Buxton, Meyer, May, Pinto, Hicks, Tonkin, Pressly...the list is much longer. Those are the names that say something about the rebuild, not some replacement for Fuld. And would you rather they not acquired Milone?

#49 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

However I agree with Chief, for a team that's supposed to have this fantastic farm system, how is it that there isn't somebody in house who could be ready? I understand that injuries have taken their toll, and Hicks needs some TLC in AAA before he is ready, but it doesn't inspire confidence that the Farm system is as good as it's reputed to be. I'd rather see this type of move than rushing a prospect to ride the big league pine, but I'd rather see some exciting prospects rather than cast offs. I'd rather see Santana at SS and a guy like Rosario or Buxton or Hicks in CF

Everybody wants to see Hicks, Buxton, or Rosario in CF.

Unfortunately, none of them are ready. And that shouldn't give pause to the quality of the farm system; the odds of having three top 100 centerfield prospects suffer three different setbacks are small. But hey, it happens. The only one of the three with long term questions is Hicks.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#50 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

To me you just keep looking at the waiver wire everyday.Schafer is one option, if a better option comes across the wire tomorrow, pick that guy up and DFA Schafer.We just need a body to help fill CF the rest of the season. Just keep scouring the wire until you pick up a decent option like Fuld was. 

You know, like Jason Bartlett, Jason Pridie or Jason Tyner.

#51 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Schafer, Shafer, Schaefer, Schaffer, Schaeffer, Shaffer........... it is starting already.  At least he isn't another Pressly, or Presley, or ............

#52 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/
Gardy's quote in the linked article says everything I wanted it to regarding Schafer, Hicks, and Santana. Kinda shocking really... Being open about finding fill ins and what they're looking for in each player.

Edited by Sconnie, 03 August 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#53 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Unfortunately, none of them are ready. And that shouldn't give pause to the quality of the farm system; the odds of having three top 100 centerfield prospects suffer three different setbacks are small. But hey, it happens. The only one of the three with long term questions is Hicks.

it's true... Just frustrating

#54 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,892 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

I have many more questions about Rosario at this point than I do Hicks.
  • JB_Iowa likes this
Papers...business papers.

#55 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,892 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

it's true... Just frustrating

As said, having a fifth guy that plays cf and near mlb ready seems unrealistic. Teams have to backfill roster depth all the time.

In the past two years the Twins have graduated 2 of, ss, 2 1b/dh, 2 rp, 2 so and might do another so before the year is over. That is substantial talent going from the farm to the majors. They can't always fill every spot. The three main studs are still on the way.

I think there has to be realistic expectations for the farm system. After all this it will still be #2. That's pretty amazing.
  • birdwatcher likes this
Papers...business papers.

#56 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

I have many more questions about Rosario at this point than I do Hicks.

That might be true for me too.... With that question being if he can hit RH pitching.

Do or do not. There is no try.

#57 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins Mods
  • 6,173 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Overall, I like the move. Schafer has one major league skill for sure--he can steal bases. Even with bad instincts, he has to cover more ground than the Twins' regulars in left and right. If Schafer could manage to get on base enough, he could really help the team in a part-time role. If not, backup CF, PR and occasional corner defensive replacement.

#58 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins Mods
  • 6,173 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

I read that Darnell had been optioned, not a huge surprise. That creates room for Schafer for now. I would presume they could recall Milone to start sometime next week. They would probably have to send out a pitcher. Of course, when Mauer returns that is another issue.

#59 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,339 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

According to the Braves guy, he is not a good defensive CF. UZR and DRS confirm this in the season where he played significant innings. After 1251 PA, he has shown he can't hit. He has been released by the Astros and Braves. He is hitting .163 this year. Then there is the HGH suspension and felony drug arrest.

It's hard to see the downside.

Worst case, in a small sample he will hit a little and play the game the right way. The Twins respond by keeping him on the 40 without looking for a better solution.

He was a top prospect in 2008. That has to mean something. The Twins top prospects that year were Nick Blackburn and Joe Benson. Maybe they are available. More warm bodies. What's the downside?

#60 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 10,781 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

A player that won't embarrass himself in centerfield. To accomplish this internally, the Twins would have to sacrifice an actual prospect's development and rush him to the Majors and/or they'd have to add people to the 40 man for no good reason.

This is the kind of move that the Twins should be making at this point. Patch a hole for two months and reevaluate in the offseason.

After the Hicks fiasco, are we really slamming the front office for showing some prudence with their outfield prospects?

In year four of consecutive 90 loss seasons, this is the type of move the Twins should have to make? Patching holes with waiver wire castoffs? Castoffs with no chance of being an actual asset?

Shouldn't there be some actual talent to try by now?

Go Twins!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jordan schafer