Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Claim Jordan Schafer from Braves

jordan schafer
  • Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 5,371 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

I would prefer the Twins invest some thought, time, energy and resources into figuring out who the players are on a championship caliber team, rather than farting around hoping someone improves enough to be an acceptable fifth outfielder.

What do they really hope to gain by adding Jordan Shafer to this team?

Time for Hicks to develop and Tommy Milone.
  • SydneyTwinsFan likes this
Papers...business papers.

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 5,371 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

This fits exactly what I talked about in a different thread...Bench guys are not supposed to have all the numbers to be starters; They are supposed to complement the starters. A defensive 4th outfielder with pinch running/ base stealing ability seems to fit well with our current outfield.
If his offense eventually comes around that would be a bonus but we don't need a bunch of bench guys that look exactly like the starters. There's too much of that on this team already.

This is a really good point. Actually trying to build a roster that makes sense.
Papers...business papers.

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,647 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

If his offense eventually comes around that would be a bonus but we don't need a bunch of bench guys that look exactly like the starters. There's too much of that on this team already.

On that, we agree.

• Danchat likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,644 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

They need a backup cf and they don't want Hicks in the majors yet.

A former highly regarded prospect is as good an option as anyone for this role. Worth a flyer to see if they can extract some value.

Perhaps exactly the type of move a rebuilding team should do. One of my main complaints about the front office is they don't sign enough of these guys.

Exactly, Brandon Moss was a flyer by the A's.  The Twins should try out more of these guys for lesser roles and hope for good things.  Especially when they aren't in the way of anyone.

#25 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

I look forward to the day when there is downside to rostering a player hitting .160 and the bar for being on the roster is somewhere above "warm body".

How much more upside does Shafer have than Farris? Is there any value in rewarding the efforts efforts of a player on the AAA roster? Hicks could have taken his spot in AAA. Farris can also play infield.

I don't think either is worthy of a winter spot in the 40, but I would have rewarded Farris' efforts with a few months in the majors.

Edited by jorgenswest, 03 August 2014 - 03:25 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#26 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

How much more upside does Shafer have than Farris? Is there any value in rewarding the efforts efforts of a player on the AAA roster? Hicks could have taken his spot in AAA. Farris can also play infield.

And really, Hicks should be moving up to AAA so that would have made some sense.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#27 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

I'm just glad they're not bringing Hicks up again. I hope they bring him up to AAA and let him prove himself there.
  • adjacent and Otwins like this

#28 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Bringing Eric Farris up from AAA this late in the season would not make much sense unless you plan on keeping him on the major league team next year as well. He has already used up 2 of his option years while with Milwaukee (total of 10 PA over 14 games). If you wanted to keep Farris as a 4th outfielder next year, it would be nice to be able to option him if he struggles. It is also easier to trade a player like this if he can be stashed at AAA without taking a 40 man roster spot.

• Tibs likes this

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,703 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

That the Twins, in year four of consecutive 90 loss seasons, are claiming Jordon Shafer in August, and he will most likely end up on the 25 man roster, does not say anything good about the status of the "rebuild."

In fact, it is a pretty damning indictment, IMO.

They need someone who can play CF in a pinch. Rosario isn't ready, Buxton isn't ready, and Hicks shouldn't be within 500 miles of an MLB roster until he gets his head straight.

That doesn't mean those three players are any less of prospects or that somehow their talent is diminished, it just means they aren't ready to play Major League Baseball in August of 2014.

• birdwatcher likes this

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,703 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

What do they really hope to gain by adding Jordan Shafer to this team?

A player that won't embarrass himself in centerfield. To accomplish this internally, the Twins would have to sacrifice an actual prospect's development and rush him to the Majors and/or they'd have to add people to the 40 man for no good reason.

This is the kind of move that the Twins should be making at this point. Patch a hole for two months and reevaluate in the offseason.

After the Hicks fiasco, are we really slamming the front office for showing some prudence with their outfield prospects?

• birdwatcher, adjacent and spycake like this

#31 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 10,027 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

Bringing Eric Farris up from AAA this late in the season would not make much sense unless you plan on keeping him on the major league team next year as well. He has already used up 2 of his option years while with Milwaukee (total of 10 PA over 14 games). If you wanted to keep Farris as a 4th outfielder next year, it would be nice to be able to option him if he struggles. It is also easier to trade a player like this if he can be stashed at AAA without taking a 40 man roster spot.

If Farris was added to the 40-man right now, he would only burn an option year if he was sent back to AAA for 20 days, which would be pretty unlikely since the AAA ends in about 30 days anyway.

#32 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

The Twins had 39 players on their 40 man roster, so the roster is again full. The team will need to send someone down to Rochester to make room on the 25-man roster.

Darnell optioned to open spot on 25 man.Will May take his next start?

• Danchat likes this

#33 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

Isn't the option only used if they send him back down this year? Seems kind of late in the year for that to be necessary.

#34 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

If Farris was added to the 40-man right now, he would only burn an option year if he was sent back to AAA for 20 days, which would be pretty unlikely since the AAA ends in about 30 days anyway.

Point taken. You also have to take into account whether he has been DFA'd before. Two DFA's allow the player to choose to become a free agent. Considering the Twins signed him as a minor league free agent, it is likely that he has already been DFA'd before. Why potentially expose a player to waivers who may not get looked at otherwise? He is a player that would most likely be taken off the 40 man roster after the season. He could be exposed twice this offseason. Once for the waiver and again for the rule 5 draft.

#35 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

Darnell optioned to open spot on 25 man.Will May take his next start?

I don't want to change the topic, but I do wonder whether it'll be May or Milone with the next start. Also, I wonder who will be sent down when they have to do that.

#36 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

I don't want to change the topic, but I do wonder whether it'll be May or Milone with the next start. Also, I wonder who will be sent down when they have to do that.

I was thinking Milone will take Pino's spot and May will take Darnell's spot.Don't know who comes off roster to make room for May.

#37 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Ryan wants to trade him back to the Braves for a useful piece.

Puke.

Contributor/Minor League Analyst for Tomahawktake.com and CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#38 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

Seth, he debuted with the Atlanta Braves and came up through the Braves system.  He was part of the trade that brought Michael Bourn to Atlanta before Atlanta acquired him via waiver claim before the 2013 season.

He's a CF in speed only at this point as his instincts in the field are terrible and simply have not gotten better.  The only thing worse than his first step is his routes, so not exactly the guy you want to rely on for covering a spacious outfield.  His best defensive asset is his arm.  His speed does allow him to make up for his first step on quick shots, but on long runs, his poor routes often bite him, and he misses a ball most center fielders can make.

Schafer was once a tremendous offensive prospect with good patience, okay power, and blazing speed - the prototypical leadoff guy.  Then he got busted in the minors for PEDs.  He's never found that patience again since his suspension, though his MLB walk percentage was good, he's often been cited for going after way too many first pitches, but that is an issue of many Braves hitters, so that may be something he's done more with Greg Walker as his hitting coach.

Schafer has had an absurdly low BABIP this year, hovering around .215 last I checked, so there's some hope for improvement, but I know the Braves aren't hurt in letting him go after giving him two chances at the big league level and attempting to stand by his side during a suspension.

In the clubhouse, he rides that line between cocky and arrogant, and he really irked Chipper Jones and Tim Hudson when they were around.  Last season he publicly called for more playing time as BJ Upton struggled, which isn't the greatest "team guy" thing to do.  All that said, he's never been mentioned as one that was causing any upheaval in the clubhouse, and the Braves have had issues with that the last few years from Uggla, McCann, and others.

Not a bad chance pick up for a team like the Twins.  If his BABIP bounces back, he's a .230/.300/.350 sort of hitter that will steal a ton when on base if he has the green light. Not a long term piece, but worth the nothing given up for him.

Edited by biggentleben, 03 August 2014 - 06:43 PM.

• jorgenswest, Don't Feed the Greed Guy and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Contributor/Minor League Analyst for Tomahawktake.com and CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#39 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

Exactly, Brandon Moss was a flyer by the A's.  The Twins should try out more of these guys for lesser roles and hope for good things.  Especially when they aren't in the way of anyone.

Before the A's, he was a flyer by the Phillies.  These guys sometimes don't work out as well.  And Moss has flourished mostly because he doesn't play every day now. That's allowed his power to play up because his .255/.335 line wouldn't acceptable without slugging over .500.

#40 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

You can view TwinsDaily's Jordan Schafer profile page here.

This is really a "meh" move for me. Sure he'll serve as a 4th OF, but from the business side of things, Eric Farris would have been a much cheaper option. Taking on the pro-rated portion of $1.09 million still costs the team about $340K. (Vargas, on the minimum will make about $163K.) He's a replacement-level player and the Twins are paying him twice the minimum. 

From the fan perspective, there is no downside to this move... unless the Twins turn around and offer him arbitration this off-season. It's doubtful Schafter will show anything that made him a former top prospect and he'll be off the 40-man immediately after the World Series.

So, now we're complaining that the Twins are spending too much money??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jordan schafer