Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Latin coaching addition possibilities?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

Even last off season, I was thinking the Twins needed to add a Latin coach to the staff. I think Cuellar was a great addition, and I'm not taking this article to blast Gardenhire, or his staff, which I believe to be solid baseball men all the way around. And whether Gardy comes back for 2015 or not, I feel the Twins would be well served to move someone on the staff to a different position to make room for said Latin coach to offer different perspectives, better communication with the young Latin players currently on the roster, and on their way up.

I know there are Ozzie Guillen fans out there, and that's your fair and right perspective. But I doubt his fit in Minnesota, as well as a bench coach. But are there options anyone can see as quality candidates for this position?
  • curt1965 likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#2 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

I do not know if any of these guys have jobs in mlb now

Tony Pena

Bill Castro

Joselito Cano

Denny Gonzalez

Alfredo Griffin

Juan Samuel

Junior Noboa

Luis Sojo

Wilson Alvarez

Marco Davalillo, Sr.

Luis Dorante

Andres Galarraga

Carlos Garcia

Omar Malave

overall, one of these guys on the payroll would be a good thing, definately in  helping out the scouts

Victor Mesa

Angel Castillo

Juan de Dios Pena

Primitivo Diaz

Victor Figueroa

Jorge Riscart

Pedro Rodriguez

This might be another good guy to have to attract players

Koji Yamamoto

#3 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:51 AM

Extra credit if you can figure out where I pulled the names from.

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,515 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:20 AM

Even last off season, I was thinking the Twins needed to add a Latin coach to the staff.

To clarify, I suspect that you mean a Latino coach (someone with Latin American origin) instead of a Latin coach (obsolete language instructor.)

Been a big proponent of such a move (since ages ago) and finally the Twins added one (Bobby Cuellar) 2 seasons ago.   But he is stashed in the pen and does not have the capability to interact with the Latino players during the game.   There have been many Latino player voices exalting what veterans like Kendrys Morales (recently) and Orlando Cabrera (not that recently) have done on the bench as far as talking to young players.   Definitely a need, and I hope that it is addressed this off-season, but I would not like anyone from the above list and bringing Ozzie Guillen to Minnesota will be like bringing Thome and Favre...  Not good.    I would look at a list of Latinos who have played with the Twins and have some history with the Twins (unlike the 2 aforementioned gentlemen for example) and might be interested  (Tony O is helping during ST, but he just is getting up there). And it does not have to be a bench coach, can be a coach like Molitor is who sits in the dugout (before Vavra's hip flared up.)  Here is such a list (and the guys on the tail of the list are hitting 60) :

Jose Morales
Luis Rodríguez
Luis Rivas
Cristian Guzmán
Javier Valentín

Bernardo Brito (has been a coach before in the IL)
Pedro Muñoz
Junior Ortiz
Carmelo Castillo
Tom Nieto (lots of coaching experience & currently MiLB mrg, but this bird flew)
Mark Salas (current MLB coach role, but bad blood)
Álvaro Espinoza (lots of coaching experience)
Lenny Faedo
Jesús Vega

as you can see pretty thin pickings, mainly because until recently the Twins did not have much of a Latino development pipeline...

• Paul Pleiss likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,515 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Not sure, but your second list is of former Cuban Baseball players ;)

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

You got your list from the WBC coahing list (Dominican and Venezuela)- a good place to start.  We should also look at Colombia, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Panama, Nicaragua and any defectors from Cuba.

Sometimes I think they rely too much on the fact that TonyO is around the club a lot.  I believe he would be the last active ML latino coach that the Twins have had.

Edited by ScottyB, 03 August 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#7 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

By the way, 3 managers from the WBC who might be available are Luis Sojo (Venezuela) and Edwin Rodriguez (Puerto Rico) who are coaching or managing in the minors and Eduardo Perez (Colombia) an analyst on ESPN.

#8 teekz

teekz

Jedi Master

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCoruscant
  • Twitter: tdkuhl

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

I wouldn't mind Ozzie Guillen as a bench guy or a third base coach. Didn't he do that for the 2003 Marlins team? Infielder coach I believe.

Another guy who I would be intrigued with is a Roberto Alamor. I thought I saw something about him wanting to get into coaching. Played with Molitor also I believe.

FYI. It is 250 posts to change your membership title!

#9 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

I wouldn't mind Ozzie Guillen as a bench guy or a third base coach. Didn't he do that for the 2003 Marlins team? Infielder coach I believe.

Another guy who I would be intrigued with is a Roberto Alamor. I thought I saw something about him wanting to get into coaching. Played with Molitor also I believe.

Guillen managed the Marlins in 2012.  Alomar is a Special Advisor to the Jays.  He doesn't have any official coaching experience, but brother Sandy has a ton.

#10 teekz

teekz

Jedi Master

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCoruscant

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Guillen managed the Marlins in 2012.  Alomar is a Special Advisor to the Jays.  He doesn't have any official coaching experience, but brother Sandy has a ton.

He was the manager in 2012, but also a coach for the Marlins 2002-2003. Got his White Sux gig coming off the '03 Marlins WS victory.

#11 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Bobby  Cuellar was born in Texas grew up and went to high school in Texas and the U of Texas. I'm not sure how that makes him the often mentioned token Latin coach.

• chamoman likes this

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#12 chamoman

chamoman

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Great thread, and a relevant topic. I am fully on board with a full-time Latin-born, Spanish-speaking coach on the team. Patrick Reusse has advocated for this quite intelligently in the past.

Thrylos, I'm pretty sure Doc Bauer had it right the first time with "Latin"; my Venezuelan wife bristles at incorrectly being deemed a "Latina".  While identity politics and associated nomenclature for people of Iberian heritage are notoriously convoluted, I am pretty sure that most native Spanish-speaking Twins' players would consider themselves "Latin" or "Hispanic".

There is a nice breakdown here:

http://hispanicecono...atinolatin.html

In short,

"Latino: a U.S.-born Hispanic who is not fluent in Spanish and is engaged in social empowerment through Identity Politics."

and

"Latin: an abbreviation for “Latin American,” or “Latinoamericano” in Spanish (written as one word), a Latin is a person who was born in Latin America and migrated to the United States."

This would make Bobby Cuellar a Latino who learned Spanish, and Oswaldo Arcia a Latin. The caveat is that identity politics is malleable and depends on personal interpretation. But Doc Bauer was not incorrect.

• Paul Pleiss and crapforks like this

#13 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

Good to see so many chiming in on this important subject.   For ownership to ignore the subject will be disastrous down the road for the franchise.   Hopefully they will act on adding these types of individuals sooner rather than later.   In the endgame it is really the only just action to take.

#14 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

To clarify, I suspect you mean a Latino coach (someone with Latin American origin) instead of a Latin coach (obsolete language instructor.)

Now that the idea has been introduced... why not toss a couple Latin coaches into the mix. Seems like our pitching staff might actually understand them better than whatever language Rick Anderson is speaking. 

It'd also be hilarious to observe Arcia mumble "ad absurdum" as he walks back to the dugout after striking out.

#15 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

Latin or Latino not withstanding, I was attempting to short hand a Spanish-speaking, foreign born coach to add to the staff. Thank you for any input or clarification in the area as I was a bit uncertain.

Wise One had a few candidates in his list that I liked. Scotty also had a couple nice ideas.

Were Oliva or Carew younger, they could be good options. But I don't believe they are real candidates for full time positions at this point in their life.

I have nothing against Guillen, but I'm not sure he fits just right. I've been thought about Omar Vizquel lately. He was an outstanding defender, a true professional, and really learned how to hit and craft his game.

Said addition needs to not only speak Spanish and be an ambassador, but he needs to offer something to the young players in the way of teaching. Not to undermine Bruno in any way, but I can't help but want him to help with an approach at the plate. Maybe Vizquel isn't such a bad choice. He could also help as an infield coach.
  • ScottyB likes this

--Lou Brown

#16 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

As far as Vizquel goes, he'd be a good choice.  Unfortunately he's the first base, baserunning and infield coach for the Tigers.  Finding an available guy that's not a lateral move is difficult.

All of the guys with experience are already taken i.e. Sandy Alomar, Tony Pena, Vizquel, Alfredo Griffin, Dave Martinez, Bengie Molina, Juan Samuel, Roberto Kelly.  The best bet is to look at minor league managers and coaches who would like a chance to crack a major league staff or someone not coahing like Robby Alomar.  The Twins do have guys on their DSL and GCL staffs, which is a good thing for their youngsters.

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

As far as Vizquel goes, he'd be a good choice.  Unfortunately he's the first base, baserunning and infield coach for the Tigers.  Finding an available guy that's not a lateral move is difficult.

All of the guys with experience are already taken i.e. Sandy Alomar, Tony Pena, Vizquel, Alfredo Griffin, Dave Martinez, Bengie Molina, Juan Samuel, Roberto Kelly.  The best bet is to look at minor league managers and coaches who would like a chance to crack a major league staff or someone not coahing like Robby Alomar.  The Twins do have guys on their DSL and GCL staffs, which is a good thing for their youngsters.

Great points Scotty. Sometimes guys are looking for a change. Sometimes staffs have shake ups or overhauls, so some of the guys you mentioned could end up available.

I think we're all on board with the general idea. I'd love to hear other ideas from the TD audience. Only guy in the system that comes to mind is Ingram.

--Lou Brown

#18 teekz

teekz

Jedi Master

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCoruscant

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

Great points Scotty. Sometimes guys are looking for a change. Sometimes staffs have shake ups or overhauls, so some of the guys you mentioned could end up available.

I think we're all on board with the general idea. I'd love to hear other ideas from the TD audience. Only guy in the system that comes to mind is Ingram.

What about a guy like Cristian Guzman? He was a pretty good SS for the Twins and would help with some of the Dominican guys coming up.

Edited by teekz, 05 August 2014 - 09:34 PM.