Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Santana....what the....

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'd submit this is not just a recent phenomena, nor is it less prevalent for pitchers. It's a function of talent, not philosophy. Thorpe is the youngest player in the Midwest League by what, four years? Exceptional talent has always risen through the system fast; Hrbek, Blyleven, Carew, Wynegar, et al from the past. Arcia, Santana, Gordon, Thorpe, Polanco, Vargas, Stewart, Pinto, Rosario, Buxton, Sano....it's a very very long list of prospects who are among the very youngest players at their level.

ok, but Santana was called up basically as a warm body when the Twins found themselves carrying 14 pitchers all the sudden. Gardy was still happily writing in Florimon at short even after Santana arrived.

Give Santana credit- he continues to hit and has made the most of his opportunity in center. He has really improved there. You can also give the Twins credit by trading Fuld so that Santana can continue to play center full time and learn.
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,769 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

Doc said this well. I was doing a radio show yesterday and realized that the Twins have called up a lot of young players. Yes, May will make one more start for Rochester (presumably). But we've seen Vargas and Santana who I don't think anyone would have said "they're ready" when they were called up. Hicks was in that situation... twice. Arcia was very young. I don't know which "prospects" are at AA or AAA that should be called up .

These are all hitters. The Twins appear to be very willing to push hitters aggressively but are the polar opposites with pitchers. Very strange.

And if you want to cite Berrios or Thorpe...let's wait to see how that goes once they hit AA. That's where the difference starts to manifest. At the very least you can say the Twins tolerate far more glaring warts in their hitting prospects than they do their pitchers when considering call ups.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 03 August 2014 - 11:50 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#23 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 452b or bust

• Members
  • 5,014 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Yup, the kid is starting to regress. ;)
We're like the A-Team but all Murdochs.

#24 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

What a line today: 5 for 6, 2 runs, 4 RBI, 2 SB, double, triple, walk. Pretty insane stuff.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#25 Jaykay

Jaykay

#FreeChargois

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

Another "what the...." type of day

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#26 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

In a small sample, large variations are to be expected. Some will overperform, some will underperform, etc. It happens all the time.

#27 teekz

teekz

Mr. Awesome

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

He's been a pretty fun guy to watch this year. He seems to be doing better and better in center.

I got nothing!

#28 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

In a small sample, large variations are to be expected. Some will overperform, some will underperform, etc. It happens all the time.

Statistics be damned...this kid can play and he can hit. He may go through a slump but I bet he is batting .285 still the end of the year. He is a great athlete so he will be able to settle in somewhere. I just dont see how some can hope for a correction to the mean. Wt heck? He may be overperforming a bit but i think it is less than stat heads are talking about. Dang he is fun to watch.

#29 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

I must admit this was not my first thought when watching and contemplating the game he played today.
  • Beezer07 likes this
Papers...business papers.

#30 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Nick Punto's Ghost

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

Like Doc, I've been waiting, and waiting... and waiting for Santana to fail. It's just not happening. Sort of like how I've been waiting for Joe Mauer to turn back into Joe Mauer. i'm not sure that this season is indictive of how either player will play next season and into the future, but I've stopped waiting for Danny Santana to fail. I like what he's doing, and am just happy to see someone in a Twins uniform playing well, having fun and smiling. He's been a great addition to the top of the lineup, and plays a servicable CF while the Twins wait for anyone resembling a true CF to emerge at the higher levesl of the system or via FA/trade/waiver claim etc.

Danny Santana, I tip my hat to you.

nick%2Bpunto%2Bshirtless.jpg

#31 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

Given his MiLB track record, current bb/k rates and his babip above .400 he is ripe for regression.

Is he exciting right now? Yes, no doubt. Is he likely to continue this level of hitting ability? Unlikely. Are we as fans getting ahead of ourselves by pencilling him in as a long term starter at SS or CF after 200 ab's? Definitely.

But lucky or not he is a reason to watch the games right now which more than can be said for most of the rest of the team currently.

#32 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

Maybe no one ever told Santana what his mean is. He might accidentally go his entire career as a .300 hitter with speed and power because no one ever told him. :)

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 03 August 2014 - 09:49 PM.

When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#33 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

There has been a long history of players who were lower tier prospects who turned into MLB stars, still, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.  

While I'm hoping it doesn't and the Twins have a long term solution for SS, it would be just as welcome to have a legit solution for the top of the order.  Of course if we're going off MiLB history, his OBP is the area that is most likely to regress.

25 under 30 ™

#34 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

Abreu in a runaway, obviously, but does Santana get Rookie of the Year votes?

#35 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

No one has mentioned his absolutely perfectly placed drag bunt last week.  That was my favorite DanSan moment.  I got so frustrated watching Hicks hit under .200 and refuse to drop down a bunt and use his wheels.  Parmalee had the entire infield playing first base last week and refused to drop down a bunt (same series Carlos Santana dropped down a bunt for a walk-to-first base hit, then went yard in his next at bat to emphasize how you beat a shift).  On a team that has to play small ball to win, and with a bunch of players struggling to bat over .215, we can't afford to leave hits on the field or fail to execute on a sacrifice.

#36 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Danny Santana ... a ray of hope in a murky sea.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#37 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

Abreu in a runaway, obviously, but does Santana get Rookie of the Year votes?

Not sure.Abreau will come in first and Springer second.Bogaerts and Bradley (Boston rookies) will get lots of votes.Kevin Keirmaier is having a nice season for TB.Santana might get a few votes depending on how many players a voter can vote on but i think he'd probably come in 5th or later on most ballots.

#38 Jaykay

Jaykay

#FreeChargois

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Not sure.Abreau will come in first and Springer second.Bogaerts and Bradley (Boston rookies) will get lots of votes.Kevin Keirmaier is having a nice season for TB.Santana might get a few votes depending on how many players a voter can vote on but i think he'd probably come in 5th or later on most ballots.

I don't think anyone would vote for Bogaerts or Bradley over Santana at this point. I would have Santana at 5th. 

Abreu

Springer/Kiermaier/Brock Holt

Santana

#39 TwinsfaninPA

TwinsfaninPA

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

As a new "poster" I must say I am overly pleased with Danny.He is a fun kid to watch.I wanna see him playing SS all the time everyday.It has been so long since we have had a legitimate everyday SS.Not an optimist by nature but let's enjoy what Danny is doing.Here's to the future!!!

• birdwatcher likes this

#40 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

Tanaka's got to get some votes, even if his season is done, correct?