Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

May Day

trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

I am the walrus

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

Trevor May is ready for the call. When will he arrive?

By the end of next week? The first of September? What else does he have to prove?

And Alex Meyer too, despite any reports of him being on an innings limit.

Both players are 24+ and need to come up and see if they can perform. It can't hurt the team to bring them up and see what they can do against big league hitters, this team isn't going anywhere (except maybe, into the gutter).

• Danchat likes this

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

I'm a very patient man when it comes to prospects.

With that said, I'm to the eye-rolling point every time I see May throw another start in Rochester. There is simply no good reason why he isn't starting in Minnesota.

• Danchat likes this

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

I predict one of those guys starts either the Wed or Thurs game next week.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,595 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

This is certainly the one question that comes up daily here, and multiple times each day on Twitter and other places. I think we all know that he'll make one more start in Rochester, get to 95-100 pitches and then be called up. I would suspect that Milone will take Darnell's next start. 

#5 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

We'll never know for sure, but I still maintain the belief that May was supposed to get than final start, (or two) before the Futures Game, and unless he mis-fired, or got hurt, UGH, he was going to stay up.

The Twins turned to Pino and Johnson at that time as the next deserving guys in line, and guess we'll never know what might have happened otherwise.

Rob Antony was talking on the radio the other night and, can't remember if it was Dan or Corey, but they asked about May. The response was pretty dry, commenting on 70+ pitches last time out and trying to stretch him back out to 100 or so next start. Sort of finished with a we'll see comment. And maybe it's just me, but I felt there was an empty balloon left floating in the air that he just wanted to fill in with a "then he'll be up" comment.

At this point, the rest of the season is about, will be about, taking a look at several players to gain experience, to see where and when they might fit in next season, or if they fit at all. (We can all name the names) I believe May makes his next Rochester start. And if he's his same, solid self, and tosses a solid 90-100 pitches, he's up. They'll play the same Johnson/Pino/Darnell train game to bring him up. And unless there is an IP concern, he'll remain the rest of the season, 5 or 6 man rotation not withstanding.

I also agree that Milone will be up soon, possibly after 1 start. I forget who now, but someone commented Milone was only days away from an extra year or control. If true, that makes the one AAA start while the FO and staff finalize their next moves all the more prudent.

Meyer is more complicated. Like Brock stated, I'm also patient when it comes to prospects. Meyer has performed very well, and downright kicked butt this season. But there was the one poor stretch, and a few games where he has just used too many pitches to get through his innings, walked a few too many, to give you pause. I believe he absolutely needs and deserves to be up, whether it be soon or September. Even if it's some relief innings just to get acclimated to the ML level. I think it would mean a lot to his development for 2015.
  • Paul Pleiss likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#6 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

I think we all know that he'll make one more start in Rochester, get to 95-100 pitches and then be called up. I would suspect that Milone will take Darnell's next start. 

Is this like how we all knew that Pino was just getting a spot start to get May's turn lined up back in June,just before May was booked for the futures game?Or like how we all knew that ramping Meyer up to a pitch count of 96 right before the futures game meant he was simply going to stay in Minneapolis after the break?

Someone might want to make sure the Twins are getting the memo on these things. :)

Also, now that May is apparently settled... what do we all know about Meyer's arrival now?

Edited by spycake, 02 August 2014 - 08:58 PM.

• mike wants wins and jokin like this

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Meyer is more complicated. Like Brock stated, I'm also patient when it comes to prospects. Meyer has performed very well, and downright kicked butt this season. But there was the one poor stretch, and a few games where he has just used too many pitches to get through his innings, walked a few too many, to give you pause.

If Meyer didn't have a tough game or stretch every now and again, he'd probably be a top 5 prospect in all of baseball.

I know the fans get picked on a lot for having unrealistic expectations, but if this is why the Twins are holding him in AAA indefinitely, it feels like they are the ones with the unrealistic expectations for Meyer.

• nicksaviking likes this

#8 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

I'm glad this thread got started. I almost forgot Maysie and Meyersie existed. 

• mike wants wins and Paul Pleiss like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

Rob Antony was talking on the radio the other night and, can't remember if it was Dan or Corey, but they asked about May. The response was pretty dry, commenting on 70+ pitches last time out and trying to stretch him back out to 100 or so next start. Sort of finished with a we'll see comment. And maybe it's just me, but I felt there was an empty balloon left floating in the air that he just wanted to fill in with a "then he'll be up" comment.

I know the empty balloon feeling you are talking about. Maybe the Twins just don't think May is as good as Pino and the others. As we are now in August, maybe Twins fans should forget May and start discussing Meyer's debut?

#10 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

I know the empty balloon feeling you are talking about. Maybe the Twins just don't think May is as good as Pino and the others. As we are now in August, maybe Twins fans should forget May and start discussing Meyer's debut?

So I wasn't the only one who felt the empty balloon! Good!

I think May is up very soon. I don't know, I think Meyer has better potential overall. Who gets here first doesn't indicate long term success. But I think I'm higher on May than some. He has the potential of a #1, but could always walk enough to be a #3. But I think big, strapping young 24-25 yo RHSP who have his stuff and ability to make 30+ starts and toss 200 innings don't just grow on trees. And if that's what he turns out to be, I'm pretty happy. I still think, 2-3 years from now, he's the 2 to Meyer's 1, who occassionaly pitches better.

A RH Glavine, so to speak, to Meyer's Maddux impression? Am I wrong? Or does Berrios trump someone here?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#11 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

May doesn't have #1 potential. The Twins view is pretty clear - he's just another guy. How they move players says it all. They think Thorpe is the truth so he's 18 in full season ball. May is almost 25 and has thrown ~760 minor league innings, and he has been passed over repeatedly for AAAA options. There's no conspiracy or mystery - the Twins don't think he's all that good. There's a good chance they are correct, though of course I strongly disagree with promoting 30 year old filler instead.

Meyer is different - I think they believe it's best for him to build up innings in a lower-stress environment.

#12 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

I'm glad this thread got started. I almost forgot Maysie and Meyersie existed.

I heard somewhere Suzuki recently signed an extension. Maybe we could start a thread on that.
Papers...business papers.

#13 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:07 AM

May has had consistency issues until this year. May had a high ERA and walk rate in AA. This year has been much better. He should be up soon.I still expect Milone to take Darnell's spot.Maybe the Twins feel May and Meyer would be better served pitching in a playoff atmosphere in Rochester. Either of these pitching in September would not be clear as the lineups get watered down at that time.I am fine with Pino pitching innings up here.Darnell has not cut it and it is time for next man up.That is going to be Milone. 

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

When May was drafted he was considered a potential top of the rotation arm. The shine fell off of him in Philly, not b/c his stuff didn't translate, but b/c he had control issues. His first season in MN last year (repeating AA) continued with this theme, though his peripherals made a pretty solid step in the right direction. The results, however, did not change much. This year, the peripherals made another major step and the results came with them. I'm not sure why people are down on May b/c of his potential. He's still a top of the rotation type guy if he mimic those peripherals in the majors. I'm sure he will have to deal with a learning curve, but I still personally think he can be a 1/2 type pitcher if he continues to improve.

That said, the angst about him not being called up tends to forget that he spent a month on the DL with that calf injury. He's back and he's had 3 starts. The first went fine, but he was pulled after 50 pitches. The second was shortened by rain after 50 pitches. The third he went to 75 pitches. This is pretty standard procedure for a guy coming off the DL. I'm not sure why people would want him doing this in the majors. It isn't good for a big league pen.

May will be up soon enough. Like others, I'm pretty sure he'd have been up had he not gotten hurt. That's just how it is. It sucks, but this isn't gross mismanagement.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

A RH Glavine, so to speak, to Meyer's Maddux impression? Am I wrong? Or does Berrios trump someone here? 

May is closer to Smoltz than Glavin and Meyer closer to a RH Big Unit (*) than Maddux. May actually reminds me a lot of a young Curt Schilling (*) minus the SF, who was also a late bloomer.

(*) Those comparisons are ceilings for the Twins' prospects and have to do with their pitching style and their stuff

Berrios is hard to tell yet.I think that moth Meyer and May (and Stew) are ahead of him

Edited by Thrylos, 03 August 2014 - 05:45 AM.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#16 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

I am the walrus

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Lots of great replies here. I sincerly hope to see May by the 15th, fingers crossed. Meyer I'd be more cautious with, and I really like the idea of bringing him up to work some innings out of the pen, just to get him som MLB experience.

#17 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

I don't think giving Meyer 15-20 innings out of the bullpen is worth it this season. It will answer nothing about him and give him very little actual experience. On the flip side you have to add him to the 40 man and potentially burn an option year if something goes wrong. It also takes 20 innings away from evaluating the three trillion actual relievers that the Twins need to make decisions on this off season. IMO if Meyer doesn't go to the rotation then let him finish out the season in AAA.

May otoh really should already be up. This is his second option year already. He has been an absolute workhorse in the minors so there shouldn't be any concerns there.

#18 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

I really want May to play in the majors.

But it was around a year ago May was struggling in AA and I suggested that he could be a bullpen arm and the future Twins closer.

But now he's pitching well and I've completely forgotten that. I think the lesson of the story is that May has never been a #1 or #2 pitcher and never looked like one. I'll be happy with a #3 or #4 starter out of him.

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

I really want May to play in the majors.

But it was around a year ago May was struggling in AA and I suggested that he could be a bullpen arm and the future Twins closer.

But now he's pitching well and I've completely forgotten that. I think the lesson of the story is that May has never been a #1 or #2 pitcher and never looked like one. I'll be happy with a #3 or #4 starter out of him.

I think your expectations are low.May has always been considered top of the rotation potential if he can improve on his control.He's done that.He has a respectable walk rate, excellent K rate, and his hit rate has dropped significantly as well.I think 3/4 would be a bit of a disappointment at this point, especially if his control continues to improve. His splits make it even more evident.This month's injury rehab aside, his strike rates have consistently risen from 61.5% in April to 68.5% in July.His walk rate dropped as well in the same timeframe. 

#20 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

I think your expectations are low.May has always been considered top of the rotation potential if he can improve on his control.He's done that.He has a respectable walk rate, excellent K rate, and his hit rate has dropped significantly as well.I think 3/4 would be a bit of a disappointment at this point, especially if his control continues to improve. His splits make it even more evident.This month's injury rehab aside, his strike rates have consistently risen from 61.5% in April to 68.5% in July.His walk rate dropped as well in the same timeframe. 

I think it's fair to project May as a mid rotation starter.He's always had a decent fastball at 92-95 mph with good sink, but also features a plus changeup, curve ball and slider.The latter two pitches (curve & slider) have improved dramatically this season, which is why he suddenly is more of a dynamic starter.

Meyer on the other hand is pure power all the way.  I understand the Twins reluctance to promote him just yet because he is still working on refining his secondary pitches, which he will need if he wants to be a starter in the majors. 

At this point I would actually say that May is much further along then Meyer. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor may