Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Blocking the plate rule: suggestion

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

Purpose: To prevent runners from taking advantage of the current blocking rule when they are clearly not going to be safe at the plate.

If a throw from a fielder is caught by the catcher before the runner is within1 stride of the catcher, the runner is automatically called out (like the infield fly rule.) The runner (if he continues) is obligated NOT to collide with the catcher even if the catcher is blocking the pathway by taking the throw.

If the runner reverses and tries to reach 3rd base, normal rundown rules will apply.

What do you think ?

#2 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

Is there a specific play that prompted your idea? I thought plays at the plate were pretty much going off without a hitch.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Are you referring to this? 

http://cincinnati.re...2&vkey=news_cin

When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#4 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

Yes. This was a travesty of rules over common sense

http://cincinnati.re...2&vkey=news_cin

#5 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

If Mathis had followed the rule, and stayed out of the runner's lane until he caught the ball, then he would have been able to tag out the runner in plenty of time.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#6 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

What if all plays at the plate are ruled force outs, the way it is at first base, rather than any other base?

What unintended consequences would result from that? Ha ha.

#7 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

The problem is that in all circumstances, the runner has the advantage. They can dodge out of the baseline, slide, fake giving up, then dash and slide. The catcher always is at risk of dropping the ball when the runner makes a sudden action. 

If the intent of the rule is to prevent collisions, there should be some instances where the runner should be out, regardless of where the catcher is standing.

The force-out might be the solution and would be the method unless the runner reverses and heads back to 3rd base. That would work in most conceivable instances.

#8 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

If the intent of the rule is to prevent collisions, there should be some instances where the runner should be out, regardless of where the catcher is standing.

That is the intent of the rule, and so far it has a 100% success rate. I see no reason to change it because of this one mis-play.

Actually by Redmond's reaction, you'd almost think he objects to the rule in the first place. Maybe he didn't even coach his catchers to follow it? In any case, Cozart scoring is 100% on the Marlins, its not a failure of the rule.

If there were cases where everyone follows the rules and there's still a collision, then you might have a reason to amend it, but that isn't what happened here.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#9 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Seems to me high school and little league umpires do a pretty good job with the no collision rule at home plate. Oh yeah, in those age groups the runner is required to slide if the play is going to be close. Maybe MLB should adapt that rule also. Close play at the plate, slide or you're out.

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

Glad to hear younger athletes are learning a new, safer way to handle this play in a game situation.

It was a correct call, but there's still something really unsatisfying about seeing a runner who was out by 10-15 feet being called safe.

Here's what gets me: the replay review took longer than one of the rain delays during the Twins game Sunday.
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#11 FattCrapps

FattCrapps

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

http://bleacherrepor...d-plate-vs-reds

Willihammer, I think they need to go a step further.  If the runner has rounded 3rd base before the catcher has the ball, he should just be ruled safe.  More goals...er, runs will bring more fans to the game, right?

#12 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Since it was a force out, many fans took exception to the call, considering Martin had few other choices in order to ensure Mesoraco would be out.

There actually was a small collision on that play and the reason is because Martin was in the runner's lane, because he had the right foot touching home instead of the left. If he had put his left foot on home and given the pitcher an infield-side target, but the throw forced him across the baserunner's path, that would have been a different story. But that's not what Martin did - he setup in the runner's lane and remained there to catch the throw.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP