Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

MLB Draft Discussion: Day One

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

The first round of the draft gets underway on Monday night at 6PM CT. The Twins will pick second overall, and then again at No. 32 and No. 42 in the supplemental round. Discuss the picks made by the Twins (and other teams) throughout the evening on this thread.

#2 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Does anyone know if it will be available to be watched online? I don't have cable and i'd rather not go to a bar to watch the draft.

#3 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

I believe you can watch it on MLB.com.

#4 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:13 AM

I have definitely watched on mlb.com the past couple years--at least live segments anyway, if not the whole coverage from TV. I had a dream last night that the Twins went with Correa at #2 and Mitch Brown at #32.

#5 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

I am beginning to accept they will take either Buxton or Correa at #2. I see them taking the best college arm at #32 and then Mitch Brown at #42, assuming he is still available.

#6 Harrison Greeley III

Harrison Greeley III

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'm assuming I'm probably the only person here who is hoping for Zunnino. I know Buxton and Correa have higher ceilings, but I'd prefer the most developed position player.
AKA: TMW

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

I have definitely watched on mlb.com the past couple years--at least live segments anyway, if not the whole coverage from TV.

I had a dream last night that the Twins went with Correa at #2 and Mitch Brown at #32.

You have weird dreams. :-)

#8 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

I am beginning to accept they will take either Buxton or Correa at #2. I see them taking the best college arm at #32 and then Mitch Brown at #42, assuming he is still available.

I agree completely. I actually wonder if Mitch Brown will be taken even that high, or if they wait until 62. Do we really think he's one of the top 30 or so pitchers in this draft?

#9 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

I'm very interested to see how this draft shakes out. I don't think there's a single guy who deserves the full slot $ amount at #2, so I'm hoping whoever the Twins pick signs for their market (Maybe Buxton at $5MIL) not the slot, and somebody falls to 32 who we can throw the extra money at to sign. My big board: Appel, Zimmer, Correa, Gausman, Buxton. Not a big fan of Buxton because he doesn't help the Twins rebuild for 2014 or 2015 (need pitching for that), but whoever the Twins select at #2 will be their #2 prospect the second they sign.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#10 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

All the rankings I've seen with Brown have him very firmly in the Top 30 pitchers. Borderline Top 10 High School arm.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#11 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

I'm still hoping for Buxton/Correa, Stroman, Brown in the first, lofty hopes I know. Giolito falling to 32 woul be cool too!

#12 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Brown is in the top 30 pitchers group yes so he should be there at #42 unless only pitchers get drafted.....and probably will be there later at 63 or 72. That is still very high in the draft. The Twins need to take the best players, not just the best local players.

#13 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

As far as need goes, don't the Twins now have a pack of good high draft choice SS in the system? Dozier, Santana, Levi, and Goodrum all come to mind. Where would Correa fit?

#14 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Many recent Mock Drafts don't even have Giolito being selected in the 1st Round... Twins would need their pick at #2 to sign for a few mil less than the slot recommendation (which I think is very possible) to have a chance at him at #32, but it would be very interesting if it played out that way.

#15 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

And I do not think a finished product catcher is necessary. There are a couple of those in the pipeline. What the Twins need is PITCHING

#16 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm still hoping for Buxton/Correa, Stroman, Brown in the first, lofty hopes I know. Giolito falling to 32 woul be cool too!

If Giolito falls to 32, he'll go to UCLA for a couple of years.

#17 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,564 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

As far as need goes, don't the Twins now have a pack of good high draft choice SS in the system? Dozier, Santana, Levi, and Goodrum all come to mind. Where would Correa fit?

Third base
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#18 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Can the Twins afford to have another top pitching prospect on rehab? Gibson, Wimmer and Giolito would be the 3 best guys and all have injury issues. But I guess with Giolito, he would not be looking to hit the majors for 4 years or so anyway....If he is that good the injury would not matter so much. The college guys are expected to contribute sooner

#19 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

I agree completely. I actually wonder if Mitch Brown will be taken even that high, or if they wait until 62. Do we really think he's one of the top 30 or so pitchers in this draft?

Sickels has him rated #30 overall, BA has him at #44 overall. He won't slip to 62. He might slip to 42 but I think the Twins take him 32.

#20 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Third base

Who's on first?

#21 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Two questions on Giolito 1) Will people be disappointed if the #2 pick is Giolito? Seems a little like a reach and a high-risk move. 2) If he falls to #32, BUT the Twins offer him a significant bonus - say they offer him $2.5M instead of $1.5M, taking the $1M from elsewhere - is there any chance he signs?

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

John, that's possible if they take Correa at #2 and see if he'll take $1 million below slot, which I would be good with. I think the Twins draft Brown at #32. I think he's gone by #42. A couple of years ago, they really wanted local product Brad Hand but thought he would fall to their next pick. He didn't.

#23 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

My answers: 1) Would not be disappointed, but the risk is too much there I think. Remember, before the injury he was #1 on a lot of lists. 2) Yes there is a chance. We don't know how negotiations are going to play out, but if it functions more like past drafts than people are thinking, the Twins should be able to save a decent amount of money at #2 compared to the slot recommendation. Giolito's injury also throws a bit of a wrinkle, in the idea that he might not want to pass up the money if he gets offered say, a top 10 dollar amount (which is approximately $3 MIL). What if he goes to UCLA and hurts himself again or even worse? Then he might not ever get any money.

#24 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

I won't be dissapointed if it's Giolito .. it's a risk but then again it's a UCL strain...it's not torn and there is'nt any plans for surgery...YET. Even if he does have surgery it's another yr of waiting. If they think this kid can be another Strasburg type then they won't mind waiting. They'd have to wait even longer for Buxton to develop so why would'nt they consider Gio. it's not like Appel or Gausman or Zimmer could'nt blow out ther UCL at any time. Every pick is a risk, especially the ML draft so let's everybody stop pretending we know so much about the guys and how upset we'll all be if they don't pick the guy they want.

#25 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Can the Twins afford to have another top pitching prospect on rehab? Gibson, Wimmer and Giolito would be the 3 best guys and all have injury issues. But I guess with Giolito, he would not be looking to hit the majors for 4 years or so anyway....If he is that good the injury would not matter so much. The college guys are expected to contribute sooner

Agree this was my point in previous post!

#26 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

Two questions on Giolito
1) Will people be disappointed if the #2 pick is Giolito? Seems a little like a reach and a high-risk move.
2) If he falls to #32, BUT the Twins offer him a significant bonus - say they offer him $2.5M instead of $1.5M, taking the $1M from elsewhere - is there any chance he signs?

1) Nah, if the Twins decide he's the BPA, go for it.
2) I think the rumor is Giolito wants at least 4m to sign. If the Twins take someone at #2 who signs for 4.5, that saves the team 1.7+1.55 for the #32 pick + 600k they are allowed to go over budget would get them pretty close. But I don't think the Twins will go so far underslot at #2 to make that possible. But I'd love it if the Twins were able to get a top 5 talent and Giolito in the same draft.

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

Two questions on Giolito
1) Will people be disappointed if the #2 pick is Giolito? Seems a little like a reach and a high-risk move.
2) If he falls to #32, BUT the Twins offer him a significant bonus - say they offer him $2.5M instead of $1.5M, taking the $1M from elsewhere - is there any chance he signs?

It would be well woth the risk in my opinion. What's the worst that happens? The Twins would get an extra pick next year if they are unable to sign him this summer. Seeing as everyone is down on this draft class, maybe that's a good thing.

Besides, it's not that the Twins CAN'T go over the draft allowance, it's just that they get penalized if they do. If they go over only 5% of the allowance they get taxed 75% on what they go over. That would be about an extra 600k they could spend if someone unexpected fell to them as long as the club is willing to also give 450k back to the MLB petty fund. An extra million is a lot but if someone like Giolitto was a free agent, a deal would not be held up because of that figure. Going over 5% forfeits future draft picks so that should be out of the question, but going over 5% should be an option if they really are getting a steal.

#28 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

What happens if we don't sign the 2nd pick? I've heard we would get the 3rd pick next year. If true, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing to play hard ball to sign under slot with the intention of grabbing higher profile players later on. Worst case scenario we get another high draft pick next year in a non historically bad draft class.

#29 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

What happens if we don't sign the 2nd pick? I've heard we would get the 3rd pick next year. If true, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing to play hard ball to sign under slot with the intention of grabbing higher profile players later on. Worst case scenario we get another high draft pick next year in a non historically bad draft class.

Well, presumably, the reason to go underslot at #2 is so you can spend that money elsewhere. If the Twins don't sign the #2 pick, they lose 6.2m of their spending cap. So, if they drafted Fried with the expectation he'd sign for 4m and then drafted several above slot guys later, that plan would be ruined if they don't sign Fried. If they're going underslot just to save the Pohlad's some money, well, **** that.

#30 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

Sickels loves Correa and wants the Twins to take him (he's a Twins fan). I also think he's the one.