Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Second in Line

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Second-in-Line

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

This place will explode when the Twins take Buxton.

#3 jlovren

jlovren

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

A toolsy outfielder that's a long ways from contributing? I think it's a lock that we take him. I also think it's a lock that we hear from the Twins that this is a deep draft even though every expert and fan alike thinks this draft is weak.

#4 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Every player taken from 2001 to 2008 reached the majors and all have had success with the exception of Reynolds, who would qualify as the one clear bust on the list.

You could say every player from 2001 to 2009. Dustin Ackley may not live up to his top 5 prospect hype, but he's still been a solid contributor to the M's thus far with a great career ahead of him.

#5 strumdatjag

strumdatjag

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

I'm hoping for Buxton. Appel and Zimmer are unlikely to be aces, while Buxton is more likely to be a future superstar. It's the baseball draft, so all three could be a bust.

#6 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

Just draft the best pitcher available...we need an impact player in 1-2 yrs not a OF prospect in 4 or 5.

#7 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

I am hoping for a college pitcher only cause they are closer to the show than a kid like Buxton who might be six years away. On the whole, I am not a big fan of draft watching in any sport. Most of the so-called experts like Mel Kiper Jr are wrong more than they are right. The true test of a draft is in 5 years when you see the results and the busts...but nobody calls the so-called experts on their picks 5 years later.

#8 ltwedt

ltwedt

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

I am beginning already to HATE on terms like - "toolsey outfielder", "pitch to contact", "high upside", "nibbles at the corners". Just once can't the Twins draft a player about whom they can say, "throws the ball through the catcher's mitt", "hits with stupendous power", "will be a super-star"?

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

A toolsy outfielder that's a long ways from contributing? I think it's a lock that we take him. I also think it's a lock that we hear from the Twins that this is a deep draft even though every expert and fan alike thinks this draft is weak.

Actually, a Twin official was quoted in the Strib as calling this one of the worst drafts in a decade.

#10 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

I want us to take a pitcher, but with Appel gone do we really want Zimmer? Buxton might be the safest bet. It's the draft though there are no true safe bets.

#11 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

My draft prediction: regardless of who the Twins pick, 75% of the comments regarding the pick will be negative.

#12 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

My draft prediction: regardless of who the Twins pick, 75% of the comments regarding the pick will be negative.

That's probably a safe bet. People comment with such certainty but the fact of the matter is that the pitcher they wanted the Twins to take may have his elbow explode or just be a bust and Buxton could be the MVP of the next Twins World Series team. Only time will tell. That what makes the process of player development so interesting.
[FONT=century gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=5]Twins[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000080]Guy[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]55422
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3]"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]