Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Rosario

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 13,869 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Not everyone agrees with Dave, btw. Otherwise they wouldn't be "over valued".

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#22 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

I think that is why they tried (for a year and a half) to see if he could stick at second base, right?

#23 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

I bring it up because there were calls last offseason to put Rosario on the trading block, with the rationale being that he was blocked at 2nd by Dozier and probably couldn't stick at CF. And with other options at corner OF he looked to be very far down the pecking order.

http://twinsdaily.co...s-a-trade-chip/

Those trade calls were met with "give it another year to see if Dozier flops or Rosario dominates at AA," but nobody considered that Dozier would maintain and Rosario would flounder. Now the Twins dare not trade Dozier and Rosario's value is in the tank.

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

I bring it up because there were calls last offseason to put Rosario on the trading block, with the rationale being that he was blocked at 2nd by Dozier and probably couldn't stick at CF. And with other options at corner OF he looked to be very far down the pecking order.

http://twinsdaily.co...s-a-trade-chip/

Those trade calls were met with "give it another year to see if Dozier flops or Rosario dominates at AA," but nobody considered that Dozier would maintain and Rosario would flounder. Now the Twins dare not trade Dozier and Rosario's value is in the tank.

I thought he would make sense as a future trade candidate, but let's not pretend he had a ton of value last year that was lost. He was a second or (more likely) third piece for a good player.

Papers...business papers.

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 13,869 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

And he's young, and has plenty of time to gather value. Ryan does not trade good prospects for players, does he? Calling for it is like calling to sign Grienke or Ellsbury.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#26 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

And he's young, and has plenty of time to gather value. Ryan does not trade good prospects for players, does he? Calling for it is like calling to sign Grienke or Ellsbury.

Clearly there are missed opportunities with such a rigid approach.

(Sign Ellsbury)

edit: Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Edited by Willihammer, 13 August 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#27 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

If he's healthy tonight...and presumably, if Buxton is as well, it'll be interesting to see who starts in CF tonight...and the other 19 games remaining to follow. My guess is the golden child, Buxton, but then also curious where Rosario then starts LF, 2B, etc.

#28 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Hard to write Rosario off yet.  I would suspect he will see lots of time down the stretch and will play fall and/or winter ball to make up for lost time this year.  Goal for him should be to start at AAA next year with the opportunity to make the club after the start of the season.  

#29 Jaykay

Jaykay

#FreeChargois

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

If he's healthy tonight...and presumably, if Buxton is as well, it'll be interesting to see who starts in CF tonight...and the other 19 games remaining to follow. My guess is the golden child, Buxton, but then also curious where Rosario then starts LF, 2B, etc.

Buxton leading off and playing center, Rosario batting third and playing left tonight. 

#30 AScheib50

AScheib50

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

I'm interested in seeing if Rosario gets much time at 2b this year now that Michael is in AA as well. With buxton being hurt now Rosario will probably be in CF a lot but I wonder what the plan was before.

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 13,869 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

I see no shot at Rosario returning to 2B, unless they plan to trade him. 

#32 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,163 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

Rosario's path to the majors is now easier as an outfielder. A year or two ago, it looked like outfield was booked up and second base was the course of least resistance. It probably will help Eddie to be considered an option at both.

Rosario isn't lighting it up at AA, but he has had a solid couple of weeks. His OPS is about .700 and he's sprinkling in some extra base hits. I don't think this year has been a huge step back, but he needs to step up next year.

#33 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

I wish they had kept him at 2B. Makes his bat much more valuable than it would be in a corner OF spot. Of course, if he can provide + outfield defense and save some runs, that certainly helps his value there. 

Any reports on the quality of his OF defense? 

#34 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:11 AM

Rosario seems to be playing the corner outfield. He played RF last night and LF when Buxton started at CF, until the injury and he went back to CF. Looking back a week, Rosario has played a different position (including 2B) each night.

There seems to be no more chance for Rosario to play 2B, since the Twins moved Levi Michael to New Britain.

#35 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,980 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Rosario is not valuable as a C/OF type guy. I get that Buxton gets the reps in CF, but I'd have Eddie playing 2B or CF as much as I could.

#36 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 10,866 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Rosario is not valuable as a C/OF type guy.

I assume this to be a typo of some kind but I'm not inferring what you do mean, since you go on to advocate him playing CF.

I shall not mention Caesar's avarice, nor his cunning, nor his morality. Oops.

#37 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 13,100 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

I assume this to be a typo of some kind but I'm not inferring what you do mean, since you go on to advocate him playing CF.

I think he meant corner outfield.

• ashburyjohn and diehardtwinsfan like this

#38 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

I don't think there is any Twin who has dropped more in status than Rosario this year. Assuming Buxton is in AA and possibly Hicks in AAA in 2015, he needs to step up the bat starting today and into next year. He sure doesn't look like a corner OF.

He could have been the starting CF for most of this season in the major leagues. He threw away that opportunity and has a lot of work to do to project as a major league starter again.

#39 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

I don't think there is any Twin who has dropped more in status than Rosario this year. Assuming Buxton is in AA and possibly Hicks in AAA in 2015, he needs to step up the bat starting today and into next year. He sure doesn't look like a corner OF.

He could have been the starting CF for most of this season in the major leagues. He threw away that opportunity and has a lot of work to do to project as a major league starter again.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions though.He has not tumbled too far to me. 

There were some on here that overrated Rosario last year putting him up in the Buxton/Sano tier.I hope those aren't the same people that see his value tumbling so much that his bat doesn't look like a corner OF'er now.He's had a tough year but is obviously a better player than he has been this year.He still definitely looks like a good corner Of'er but the entire time he has had more of a David Dejesus profile instead of a classic slugger profile.

Is 2016 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation?

#40 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions though.He has not tumbled too far to me. 

There were some on here that overrated Rosario last year putting him up in the Buxton/Sano tier.I hope those aren't the same people that see his value tumbling so much that his bat doesn't look like a corner OF'er now.He's had a tough year but is obviously a better player than he has been this year.He still definitely looks like a good corner Of'er but the entire time he has had more of a David Dejesus profile instead of a classic slugger profile.

A fair comparison. DeJesus was a minor league CF that eventually shifted to the corner in the majors. He did have an .895 OPS in 109 AAA games that followed an .842 OPS in a short 42 game stint in AA. DeJesus went quickly through both levels on his way to the majors. Rosario hit AA and has yet to perform anything like DeJesus as a prospect in the upper minors. He needs to turn it around starting today.