Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Rosario

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,712 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

I see no shot at Rosario returning to 2B, unless they plan to trade him. 

Lighten up Francis....

#32 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

Rosario's path to the majors is now easier as an outfielder. A year or two ago, it looked like outfield was booked up and second base was the course of least resistance. It probably will help Eddie to be considered an option at both.

Rosario isn't lighting it up at AA, but he has had a solid couple of weeks. His OPS is about .700 and he's sprinkling in some extra base hits. I don't think this year has been a huge step back, but he needs to step up next year.

#33 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

I wish they had kept him at 2B. Makes his bat much more valuable than it would be in a corner OF spot. Of course, if he can provide + outfield defense and save some runs, that certainly helps his value there. 

Any reports on the quality of his OF defense? 

#34 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:11 AM

Rosario seems to be playing the corner outfield. He played RF last night and LF when Buxton started at CF, until the injury and he went back to CF. Looking back a week, Rosario has played a different position (including 2B) each night.

There seems to be no more chance for Rosario to play 2B, since the Twins moved Levi Michael to New Britain.

#35 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Rosario is not valuable as a C/OF type guy. I get that Buxton gets the reps in CF, but I'd have Eddie playing 2B or CF as much as I could.

#36 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,411 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Rosario is not valuable as a C/OF type guy.

I assume this to be a typo of some kind but I'm not inferring what you do mean, since you go on to advocate him playing CF.

#37 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

I assume this to be a typo of some kind but I'm not inferring what you do mean, since you go on to advocate him playing CF.

I think he meant corner outfield.

• ashburyjohn and diehardtwinsfan like this
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#38 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

I don't think there is any Twin who has dropped more in status than Rosario this year. Assuming Buxton is in AA and possibly Hicks in AAA in 2015, he needs to step up the bat starting today and into next year. He sure doesn't look like a corner OF.

He could have been the starting CF for most of this season in the major leagues. He threw away that opportunity and has a lot of work to do to project as a major league starter again.

#39 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

I don't think there is any Twin who has dropped more in status than Rosario this year. Assuming Buxton is in AA and possibly Hicks in AAA in 2015, he needs to step up the bat starting today and into next year. He sure doesn't look like a corner OF.

He could have been the starting CF for most of this season in the major leagues. He threw away that opportunity and has a lot of work to do to project as a major league starter again.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions though.  He has not tumbled too far to me. 

There were some on here that overrated Rosario last year putting him up in the Buxton/Sano tier.  I hope those aren't the same people that see his value tumbling so much that his bat doesn't look like a corner OF'er now.  He's had a tough year but is obviously a better player than he has been this year.  He still definitely looks like a good corner Of'er but the entire time he has had more of a David Dejesus profile instead of a classic slugger profile.

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#40 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions though.  He has not tumbled too far to me. 

There were some on here that overrated Rosario last year putting him up in the Buxton/Sano tier.  I hope those aren't the same people that see his value tumbling so much that his bat doesn't look like a corner OF'er now.  He's had a tough year but is obviously a better player than he has been this year.  He still definitely looks like a good corner Of'er but the entire time he has had more of a David Dejesus profile instead of a classic slugger profile.

A fair comparison. DeJesus was a minor league CF that eventually shifted to the corner in the majors. He did have an .895 OPS in 109 AAA games that followed an .842 OPS in a short 42 game stint in AA. DeJesus went quickly through both levels on his way to the majors. Rosario hit AA and has yet to perform anything like DeJesus as a prospect in the upper minors. He needs to turn it around starting today.

#41 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

Talk about taking a comparison to literal.  Rosario has had a disastrous season after several setbacks.  Using this year's stats in a critical manner and ignoring his previous success is frustrating.

Rosario never was going to be hitting a lot of HR's despite mashing the ball in Etown and Beloit.  He profiles as a good BA, good OBP, moderate power (10 Hr's with doubles), good enough defense to play Cf but better off at a corner spot type of player.  That is basically what Dejesus is.

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#42 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

I Agree with Kabs comparison to DeJesus up to this point. The concern on Rosario is a drug suspension followed by poor numbers. People in general and baseball players in particular have bad years. Here's to hoping he turns things around and becomes the MLB player we hope he will be.

On a side note, he will not ever get to be the guy with a cool name like DeJesus let aloneCoco Crisp, or Milton Bradley. In that way, he is NOT comparable.

#43 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

I Agree with Kabs comparison to DeJesus up to this point. The concern on Rosario is a drug suspension followed by poor numbers. People in general and baseball players in particular have bad years. Here's to hoping he turns things around and becomes the MLB player we hope he will be.
On a side note, he will not ever get to be the guy with a cool name like DeJesus let aloneCoco Crisp, or Milton Bradley. In that way, he is NOT comparable.

Boof Bonser changed his name. Never say never.

#44 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

A fair comparison. DeJesus was a minor league CF that eventually shifted to the corner in the majors. He did have an .895 OPS in 109 AAA games that followed an .842 OPS in a short 42 game stint in AA. DeJesus went quickly through both levels on his way to the majors. Rosario hit AA and has yet to perform anything like DeJesus as a prospect in the upper minors.

He needs to turn it around starting today.

Ask and you shall receive...Here's his No-hitter-saving-catch against the wall in CF last night:

http://www.milb.com/...429195&sid=milb

Counting today's stats (Rosario has a HR and single through the 6th inning), Rosario is on a 12-game hitting streak, and he's producing vintage Rosario-like numbers during this stretch:  

.333/.392/.522/.914

Perhaps this is a prelude to finishing the AA season strong, and maybe earns him an AFL assignment this fall to make up for those lost 50 games to suspension.

• ashburyjohn, diehardtwinsfan and big dog like this

#45 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

Eddie Rosario, the last 10 games.  40  4  12  1  7  4  12  1  .300

#46 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team