Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Rosario

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

Rosario is batting less than .240 and now hasn't played in at least 3 games. Is he injured or just being rested out of a slump? The 50 game suspension seems to have really affected his game. Hope the drug usage doesn't indicate a head case for this once golden prospect.

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

He was struggling in AA last year too, though in both seasons he showed flashes of what made him good.I suspect the suspension hasn't helped, but I think he's going to drop a bit on a lot of prospect rankings. 

#3 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

He really needs a good August to avoid a third season in AA.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,122 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

He spent 1/2 season in AA last year, and basically a half season in AA this year. If he needs to go to AA to start next year, it's not a big deal at all. He doesn't need to be added to the 40 man roster until after this year. There's no rush. He's missed time for his suspension. He likely has a minor injury right now. There's no rush. He's very young

• Paul Pleiss likes this

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 11,754 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

As usual, I agree with Seth.

Used to be mike wants wins

#6 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

<snip>

There's no rush. He's missed time for his suspension. He likely has a minor injury right now. There's no rush. He's very young

I think we need to remove the 'very' from that last sentence. Rosario will be 23 shortly after the season... the same age the 'slow' progressing Aaron Hicks was when he had his breakout AA campaign. (As a aside, I buy age differential for A-ball, but not for AA or AAA when the average age is 25 and 27 years old! An 'average' prospect is NEVER that old in those leagues!)

While I do agree that Rosario has time, his lack of position and speed already have him on a slippery slope. I agree with Diehard that he is likely to fall quite a ways on the prospect lists.Would it be too much to say that I hope he can avoid a Hans Gruber-like fall off of the Nakatomi building?

Edited by TRex, 01 August 2014 - 09:12 AM.

• Oxtung likes this

#7 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

So what ? Prospect lists are for grins and giggles only.:D

#8 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

At this point, I'm just glad he's on the field. His results this year haven't been great, but he also jumped in mid-season. I'll be more interested how he responds to this season, and the suspension. He is still a great talent.

Do or do not. There is no try.

#9 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Rosario ate up lower-level pitching, but he has always lacked plate patience and his contact-oriented approach hasn't worked at AA. He's a corner outfielder without the ability to hit for significant power or get on base via walk, which means he will have to hit for a very high average.

Those concerns have always been there, but with him not hitting for average at age 22 in AA, his stock is definitely way down. I can't see ranking him higher than 9th in the Twins system and even that might be a stretch.

#10 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Rosario ate up lower-level pitching, but he has always lacked plate patience and his contact-oriented approach hasn't worked at AA. He's a corner outfielder without the ability to hit for significant power or get on base via walk, which means he will have to hit for a very high average.

Those concerns have always been there, but with him not hitting for average at age 22 in AA, his stock is definitely way down. I can't see ranking him higher than 9th in the Twins system and even that might be a stretch.

MLB already has him ranked #10 behind Buxton, Sano, Stewart, Meyer, Barrios, Gordon, Polonco, May, and Thorpe.

#11 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Going to slightly disagree here. I think he has more power potential than many give him. He's a quality hitting prospect with a nice swing, good athleticism, and has shown the ability to hit very solid line drives. Power is often late in developing, even in true power hitters. He had the one big year where he went head to head with Sano all season for the team and league HR mark. Since then, he has not duplicated the 20 HR feat. He is still only 22, and between quick promotions and the suspension to miss the first half of this season, he's seldom spent anything close to a full year at one spot, one level, since rookie ball.

I believe experience and further development over the next couple of years, as well as just settling in to a level, will see a jump in Rosario's power. I don't know if he's ever going to be a consistent 20 HR guy or not, but high doubles and consistent mid to upper teen HR totals I think could easily be expected.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#12 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

Eddie Rosario was the lead-off hitter tonight and went 1-5.He had not played since Monday, July 28. Does anyone know the reason why he was not playing ?

#13 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

He was not injured. He was disciplined by the team. Wisely, the reason was kept in house thus far.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,122 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Yup, needs to stay in-house... Hopefully nothing too serious.

#15 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

It was serious enough for him to sit a few games. Coming off a 50-game suspension, that's not very encouraging.

#16 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 439 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Yup, needs to stay in-house... Hopefully nothing too serious.

This is is 2nd "in house suspension" in as many years, with a 50 gammer from Milb in between them.  Are these in house suspensions, for on field lack of effort, club house issues, or outside ball park issues?   

Edited by maxisagod, 03 August 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

I believe last year's had something to do with a lack of effort, though I don't think it was really made clear.

#18 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:33 AM

Well, Dozier's spot is looking more secure than ever.

#19 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Young guys make mistakes. The reason doesn't matter. Teams are wise to discipline and move forward.

He has another month this year to work hard and show he doesn't need a third stop in AA.

#20 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Before the deadline Dave Cameron wrote a piece about why the Cardinals should be willing to deal Oscar Taveras http://www.fangraphs...averas-skeptic/

High contact, moderate power, above average wRC+ AAA hitters who profile as corner OF players are among the most overvalued by prospect analysts. Rosario isn't at AAA obviously, but he fits the profile too doesn't he?

Edited by Willihammer, 13 August 2014 - 01:21 PM.

2015-Over/Under Contest winner