Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Price To Detroit For Smiley And Jackson

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hawkiconk

hawkiconk

Pale Hose Supporter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Locationlittle sioux river

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

was watching the wsox-detroit game this afternoon  (being the lowlife sox fan i am) :jump:

when in the top of the 7th inning  (i think it was the 7th) dave dombrowski appeared in the tigers dugout in his $1000 suit

he looked at his watch (it was about 2:55pm) and waved to brad ausmus and pointed to center field

immediatly rajai davis ran out to center field and austin jackson stood there with a WTF look on his face

davis must have told him he had been traded

jackson went to the dugout and received hugs from the few who were in the dugout

steve stone and wimpy paciorek both said they had never seen such a situation, i know i had not

god bless the good ol' grateful dead

#2 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

Not one hundred percent sure, but, I seen to remember Jose Canseco being traded as he was in the on deck circle back in his Oakland days. 

#3 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

Hunter Pence was traded mid game.

#4 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

It's happened a number of times mid-game.  It was odd to see Jackson pulled mid-inning, though.  Often they simply wait until the player returns to the dugout and then inform him, but this could have also been an attempt by Ausmus to get Jackson a well-deserved round of applause from Tigers fans for his contributions to multiple WS teams.

Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#5 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

It will be interesting to see how this works out for the Rays.  Neither of these players have the upside that I like for 1.5 yrs of a Cy contender.  Both Franklin and Smyly could be nice MLB'ers but I have this feeling that Smyly was a sell high.

It's interesting to see the three big deadline deals mostly involving MLB for MLB players.  But neither of the sellers are interested in rebuilding and prospects are valued at an all time high.

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Hope that Price has the year that Nathan has with the Tigers and the career that Cliff Lee has with the Phillies.

Nothing personal, just the Tigers.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 hawkiconk

hawkiconk

Pale Hose Supporter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Locationlittle sioux river

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

It's happened a number of times mid-game.  It was odd to see Jackson pulled mid-inning, though.  Often they simply wait until the player returns to the dugout and then inform him, but this could have also been an attempt by Ausmus to get Jackson a well-deserved round of applause from Tigers fans for his contributions to multiple WS teams.

exactly my point!

and smilie was the starter in that game, though he had been relieved

and folks thought the starter in that game who might've been traded was danks

god bless the good ol' grateful dead

#8 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hope that Price has the year that Nathan has with the Tigers and the career that Cliff Lee has with the Phillies.

Nothing personal, just the Tigers.

The twins are screwed then.  Lee has went 48-34 with a 2.94 ERA with the Phillies.  The wins could be better but aside from that Lee has been awesome until he destroyed his arm.

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

exactly my point!

and smilie was the starter in that game, though he had been relieved

and folks thought the starter in that game who might've been traded was danks

Heard Ausmus on the ESPN Baseball Tonight podcast, and he said that there was no confirmation on the deal when the inning began. He sent out the entire team for defense not knowing what was going on.  He found out when the inning had started and intended to tell Jackson when the inning was over, but the inning drug on, and he realized he had to pull him to adhere to the MLB rule that all players must be out of games before trades can be considered official.  That sucks for Jackson, but it at least makes sense.

#10 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

As much as hate to say this, I think Detriot pretty much robbed Tampa Bay blind with this trade.

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

As much as hate to say this, I think Detriot pretty much robbed Tampa Bay blind with this trade.

Detroit did pay a fairly steep price in moving Jackson, Smyly, and Adames.  However, the return that Seattle got total wasn't that, it was Nick Franklin instead of Jackson, and that's a drastically lower return for the Rays.  I think for Price, they could have gotten much, much more.

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Curious...can anyone imagine a scenario, under any circumstances, where Terry Ryan does what is necessary to add a player of Price's caliber? FA, offseason trade, inseason trade?

Anyone?

Go Twins!

#13 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Curious...can anyone imagine a scenario, under any circumstances, where Terry Ryan does what is necessary to add a player of Price's caliber? FA, offseason trade, inseason trade?

Anyone?

I could imagine a similar trade where he trades primarily mlb pieces. Wasn't going to happen in previous scenario at the Dome.

Papers...business papers.

#14 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

Tampa would not have been able to pay Price's salary next year--it would have been huge. 

#15 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Anyone?

I could see a situation where the team is close to the playoffs and he'd pull the trigger on a big trade. After 4 90+ loss seasons, maybe he'd get desperate enough to do so.

Also, maybe after all these years of people calling the front office cheap motives them to make a huge move. Also, they have a sizable salary thanks to Target Field, so they could pull it off in theory.

#16 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

Anyone?

Absolutely not. He is the guy that traded Lawton in the middle of a playoff race.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

Absolutely not. He is the guy that traded Lawton in the middle of a playoff race.

For a pitcher that had a higher salary.

I would say the Lawton trade is proof he might do it more than proof he wouldn't.

Papers...business papers.