Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Kurt Suzuki Signs Extension With Twins

kurt suzuki
  • Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Mike, is it possible that everything is baseball isn't quantifiable?

What about a pitcher's confidence in a particular pitch? What is our stat for that? Or a catcher's ability to settle down a pitcher that is rattled?

I appreciate your point of view, but I believe it ignores a lot of the elements that are present in human endeavors.

Shouldn't those things manifest themselves in better results on the field, and thus better stats?

#102 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

Shouldn't those things manifest themselves in better results on the field, and thus better stats?

How do we know they aren't?

#103 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

I think that the bottom line (2014 record) says that they aren't ;)

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#104 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Well, if the stats suggest that pitchers don't perform better with Suzuki...

#105 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Toledo Mud Hens

• Members
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

If Garver were any higher than A, he would have been moved faster that pretty much everyone but Mauer in this organization :) He was just drafted last season. To tell you the truth (and this comes from someone who has Garver as his top catching prospect in the organization and a pretty plush 17th overall) he was under the radar last season because of a poor transition to the wooden bat and lack of stamina after a full college season. He did put a long of work this off-season and this really showed in Spring Training as far as I am concerned and caught my eye there.Thankfully, it continued through the season.He should probably finish at Fort Myers, but the longer the Twins are holding Pinto down, the more congested the Catching jobs are.

Not bad for a second year pro, really; because this is what he just is.

Glad to hear it - thanks
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#106 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

It's pretty hard to argue that he hasn't. He has posted a total of 1.8 WAR for roughly $9m at this point.

Kevin Correia and his contract isn't a problem. The problem is all the guys they didn't sign to pitch in front of Kevin Correia.

His WAR ranking is 13th for catchers and it's his career year, so it's likely to drop.Kind of hard to believe we had to pay him the 6th highest contract for catcher in 2015.Just because they have money to spend, doesn't require them to waste money. 

#107 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

The money is not an issue. They are swimming in money.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kurt suzuki