Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Game 51 - Twins @ Clevland - 6//1?12

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Denard Span CF Ben Revere RF joe mauer dh Josh Willimgham Justin morneU 1B Ryan Doumit c Dozier ss CASILLlla 2b Carrol 3b Sp- pavano

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

Interesting--no Drew for Pavano. I suppose if he gets lit up it will because he didn't have the right catcher.

#3 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

That might be his excuse; or the fact that he can only throw 88 mph

#4 Yoshii

Yoshii

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Decent lineup today. No ****ty Plouffe.

#5 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's June now, as Twins fight there way to 500, go Twins!

#6 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Let's fight for .400 first.

#7 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

I feel like Seth is either (A) drunk, (B) typing with oven mitts on or © both.

#8 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Let's fight for .400 first.

Let's not get crazy. Solidify our lead over San Diego, put the Cubs in the rear view mirror, and let's go from there.

#9 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Someone please tell me that wasn't an 0-2 pitch from Pavano that went over the fence.

#10 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Good thing the bullpen had a day off.

#11 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

$16.5M to Carl Pavano, plus loss of a draft pick. Money well spent, Mr Smith. Money well spent.

#12 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

I wonder if Jason Marquis is available.

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,800 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

I wonder if Jason Marquis is available.

Checking... why yes, I believe he is. If we put in a good offer, we might be able to snag him.

#14 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Why waste the bullpen at all this early? Pavano only threw 71 pitches. The game is most likely lost. Let him stay out there and "eat" some of the innings the Twins are paying him for.

#15 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Why waste the bullpen at all this early? Pavano only threw 71 pitches. The game is most likely lost. Let him stay out there and "eat" some of the innings the Twins are paying him for.

I understand the point, but I think he's actually hurting and might be on low pitch count anyway. Additionally, it's not a good idea to drag the game out when you might only be talking the difference of another inning.

#16 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Terry Ryan has his work cut out for him trying to move Pavano before the trade deadline. Unless a team's rotation is completely wiped out by injuries, who would want him?

#17 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

The only good thing about the terrible pitching is that it distracts us from the lack of offense. Even Verlander would have trouble winning for a team that cannot score runs.

#18 denarded

denarded

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

EXACTLY. Uggh I Can't believe I'm wasting a Friday night watching poor pitches thrown by our veteran. I like Pavano, but this has not been 'smart' pitching, and against a crappy offensive team. (Shaking head)
Wikipedia is for suckers

#19 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

Terry Ryan has his work cut out for him trying to move Pavano before the trade deadline. Unless a team's rotation is completely wiped out by injuries, who would want him?

It would probably take at least two team plane crashes (a MLB club and its AAA affiliate) for anyone to want to trade for Pavano at this point. Even then, the Twins would be lucky to get a bucket of (old) balls. Thank God his contract will expire at the end of this season.

#20 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

I understand the point, but I think he's actually hurting and might be on low pitch count anyway. Additionally, it's not a good idea to drag the game out when you might only be talking the difference of another inning.

If he's "hurting" he should be on the DL and not in the rotation. If he's in the rotation, he should be expected to do what, supposedly, he was signed to do..."eat" innings. Who gives a rat's arse if he gets pounded for another inning or two? The damage is already done. All you're doing now is unneccesarily putting more innings on the bullpen. Why?

it's not a good idea to "drag the game out?" Huh?

#21 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

If he's "hurting" he should be on the DL and not in the rotation. If he's in the rotation, he should be expected to do what, supposedly, he was signed to do..."eat" innings. Who gives a rat's arse if he gets pounded for another inning or two? The damage is already done. All you're doing now is unneccesarily putting more innings on the bullpen. Why?

I agree. Unless he's on a limited pitch count, why not keep him out there for another inning or two and save at least one arm in the bullpen? It probably doesn't make a difference if the score if 7-0 or 12-0, the Twins can't score off of Derek Lowe anyway.

And if he is hurt, put him on the DL. Having him start when he's not healthy isn't doing anyone any good.

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

Maybe he will go on the DL after this game. If not, then I agree with Chief that he should have eaten at least one more inning.

#23 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=NorthwestTwinsFan;21362 It probably doesn't make a difference if the score if 7-0 or 12-0, the Twins can't score off of Derek Lowe anyway.
.[/QUOTE]

Doumit has both of the Twins hits today and has carried the burden of catching as well. Everyone else in the lineup should be yelled at after the game is over and given a 10 p.m. curfew. The failure to get hits when the pitching is bad seems inexcusable. It's almost like the hitters have given up and just want the game to be over.

#24 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

Johan Santana has a no hitter going after 7 innings. It was sure nice having an ace, while it lasted.

#25 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Jake Peavy had a no-hitter going in Chicago, but Pierzynski dropped a popup in front of home plate in the 5th and the score keeper inexplicably scored it a hit.

#26 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Jake Peavy had a no-hitter going in Chicago, but Pierzynski dropped a popup in front of home plate in the 5th and the score keeper inexplicably scored it a hit.

That scorekeeper may need a bodyguard if that decision is not changed.

#27 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

So who replaces Pavano??? he's obviously not healthy so it's either Diamond which they don't want to do or Duensiing which they don't want to do...

#28 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

So who replaces Pavano??? he's obviously not healthy so it's either Diamond which they don't want to do or Duensiing which they don't want to do...

Swarzak? T.C Bear? Someone's grandmother?

#29 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

I would imagine Blackburn would eventually take the rotation spot. Perfect fit too. Minimal talent? check. Gardy favorite? check. Hittable in the extreme? check. Couldn't register double digit K's against a decent high school team? check. Attempt to justify wasted money? check.

#30 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

People forget the Mets have never had a no-no...Congrats to Johan!