The Weather will be hot and gusty... Temps in the 90's. People will leave the park smelling bad from all the sweat.
Twins SP: Phil Hughes
Royals SP: Danny Duffy
Things to Think About:
1. Kyle Gibson -- He was magnificent last night. 7 Innings of work and not a run scored against him. We certainly hope to see more of that from Kyle Gibson in the future and we certainly hope it's a long future with the Twins. We need more pitching performances just like that. He has these flashes of brilliance that leads you to believe that he's gonna be quality. Kind of like those flashes of brilliance that I occasionally have on the golf course. Actually... It's nothing like that at all... Because my flashes of brilliance on the golf course are complete luck but those occasional lucky golf shots do keep me coming back to the golf course to see if I can do it again... OK... I apologize to Kyle Gibson... Comparing him to my golf game was cruel. Kyle is good... He isn't lucky. Sometimes I type myself into a corner.
2. The Trade Deadline -- Things are pretty quiet with the Twins despite the declaration from Terry Ryan that the Twins are sellers. The Twins may be sellers but nobody is going nuts over the product. Rumors of the Mariners and Yankees having interest in Josh Willingham is the only chatter hitting the streets. Across the baseball... It's pretty quiet... All rumors seem to center around the Red Sox and Jon Lester and right now the Red Sox are asking for players that teams want to keep around for the future. Eventually something will shake loose and someone will get moved. There was a fairly big trade today... Justin Masterson was traded from the Indians to the Cardinals... The Cardinals are trying to rebuild their injured starting rotation and Justin Masterson was a top notch arm at one point in his career but he's been struggling this year with a 5.51 ERA. A bold move by the Indians who are still in this thing because Masterson is the type of guy who can be lights out when he gets it back together. The Indians get a pretty good AA Outfielder in the deal. His name is James Ramsey. Maybe he'll show up at Target Field some day to play against the Twins.
3. Danny Duffy -- I already did a thing on Danny Duffy... For this go around I'll just say this. James Shields is the supposed ace of the Royals staff. Therefore... He is the starter that gets circled. Fans and Teams are grateful when they miss Shields in the rotation and Shields is a quality starter... However... My eyes tell me that Danny Duffy may be the guy that I'd hate to face. Left Handed and Nasty is what I say about Duffy. He throws a mid 90's fastball that has a lotta hop to it and he mixes it up by sinking it at similar speed on occasion. And when the batter guesses fastball... he can cross you up with a slow breaking pitch. I think Duffy and Ventura are a couple of nasty arms that will anchor that Royals rotation for a few years. Duffy has an ERA of 2.47 ERA in 2014. 2.47 ERA... That is nasty.
4. Danny Santana -- Yesterday I was joking that I hoped that Danny Santana would carry the team since he was the only hitter in the lineup that would be considered hot. Yesterday's comment wasn't praise for Santana... It was sarcasm over the frigid bats being swung by the rest of the team. Well... I'll be a monkey's uncle... Danny Santana carried the team yesterday to victory. OK... Danny... You gotta do it again.
5. Have Mercy... Been Waiting for the Bus all Day -- I was downtown today and I walked past the bus stop. There were about 6 people waiting for the bus. They looked like they didn't have cars so I assume that's why they were standing there. Coming down the sidewalk was an old lady and she was trying to run... or at least walk fairly fast. She obviously thought she was late for the bus and she was hustling the best she could. She arrived at the line just as I was walking past and she said to the line "Has the Bus Come Yet"? From behind I heard someone respond... "Would I be standing here... If it has come by and picked me up"? This made me laugh as I got in my car and I thought to myself... I have a thought #5.
Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 30 July 2014 - 06:09 PM.