Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Josh Willingham trade value?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

What do you think Josh Willingham would be worth to a contender? 2 more years under contract for $7 million a year is pretty cheap and under control for 2 more years. I would love to keep him but I don't see the Twins willing to contend any time soon. At least you could possibly get a good young arm to rebuild the rotation around for him.

#2 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

You can't trade all your best players. You have to field a team. The rotation is fine, Twins are winning.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,168 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

Depending on how he plays as the trade deadline approaches, I would think that the Twins could hold out for a lot. Willingham seems a little streaky, and it will be good if he can stay hot. Willingham is 33 years old, and he may be 36 or 37 by the time that the Twins are ready to contend again. So he seems expendable. On the other hand, if this looks like a salary dump, fans should be resentful. I would love to see a trade where the Twins deal with a smaller cap team who will give up excellent prospects if the Twins agree to eat some of Willingham's salary. The Twins could show good faith to the fans by spending some money if an opportunity arises to get one or more excellent prospects as part of a trade with a smaller cap team.

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

He's signed for three-year deal. He isn't going anywhere. And he shouldn't. I don't give up on seasons like everyone else does, but even given my stupidity . . . he has a multi-year contract . . . no one with one is going to be traded. Full stop.

#5 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

I would hate to see him go. But at this point, the focus has to be the future. If we can get some quality pitching talent, I would pull the trigger.
[FONT=century gothic]TwinsGuy55422
"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"
[/FONT]

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

I guess Boston could be the one spot where a 2.5 year deal would be acceptable . . . but still doubtful. Trading for players with 1+ plus is rare, so thinking about trading for 2+ years is pretty stupid. Willingham is here into 2013 at the least.

#7 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

Should we keep anyone worth watching next year? Who will be first in line for tickets? Someone will have to pay for the 55 million dollar payroll next year.

Edited by Highabove, 31 May 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#8 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

As a fan and a Target Field employee, it would really REALLY piss me off if they traded away Hammer. If I wanted to watch a bunch of young kids and washed up veterans, I'd start going to Saints games. If you want the team to contend in the future, you need to keep butts in the seats and eyes on the screen. Guys like Willingham help do that. And who would you replace him with? Plouffe should NOT be starting right now, Mastroianni is a 4th OF at best. Benson, Tosoni, and Hicks are all in AA, Dinkleman is hurt, and I don't think anyone wants Clete "strikeout machine" Thomas getting another crack at starting.

#9 CharacterGroove

CharacterGroove

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

Doubtful. He plays better than his contract and is more productive than the reasonable potential of 95% of prospects. That said, anything's possible. A big market team could offer something too generous to turn down.

#10 Yoshii

Yoshii

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

wtf didnt we just sign him to two years? Why would we trade him? Hes like are one good player and the core of the team right now.

#11 tpb8

tpb8

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

So a contending team desperate for RH power calls and offers a nice package. We don't move a guy who is essentially a full-time DH and 33 years old? Because some people want to buy tickets to watch him hit HRs for a rebuilding team?

#12 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

So a contending team desperate for RH power calls and offers a nice package. We don't move a guy who is essentially a full-time DH and 33 years old? Because some people want to buy tickets to watch him hit HRs for a rebuilding team?

Kind of have to agree with this. I liked the proposed topic because I really wasn't sure what I'd do. I sure don't want Willingham to go, I look forward to his at bats and you are locked in the whole plate appearance. But at the same time if a contender is willing to part with a top prospect and maybe a couple other talents with some upside I'd like the twins to make the trade.

And for those complaining about not wanting to watch a game without him since we are rebuilding then don't watch at all ever. This is baseball it happens when you arent a major market team live with it and enjoy watching prospects.

#13 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Willingham has been excellent and a value buy at $7M per. Who would replace him? And what would we really get for him, even if he was on the table? A couple of A-ball pitching prospects? No one is going to be breaking down the doors for him right now, and by mid-summer you have to expect that his BA is going to settle in around .260-.270. Even with his 30-hr pop, is he going to be a guy that someone is going to part with a top prospect for? Seems unlikely. So how much of a benefit is it to deal a guy with a good contract that fills a real team need for a roll of a dice on prospects? If this were the last year of his deal, or even the 2nd-to-last, I'd consider it (perhaps be all for it), but not in year 1 of a 3 year deal. There's a lot of talk right now about the Twins dealing their veteran players, but most of it seems unrealistic/foolish, and everybody wants us to get pitching. Mauer would cause a PR hit and either require taking on a bad contract or not getting good value, and we don't have a viable replacement. Morneau's injury history makes him difficult to move, and until Parmelee proves it, we don't have a full-time replacement. Span's the most easily moved, but why would we? He's in his prime, can play multiple positions in the OF, his contract is good...and we don't know yet if Revere can hit enough to take his place. (and we don't have a replacement leading off, unless Gardy defies all prior history and puts Mauer in there) Flipping veterans sounds good in concept, but the reality for this team is much more problematic.

#14 cr9617

cr9617

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

You can't trade all your best players. You have to field a team. The rotation is fine, Twins are winning.

You are joking...right??

#15 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Oddly enough, I think the Twins have too many questions to answer before any players can be traded. For instance, Morneau really cannot be traded right now, because of injury history and lack of replacement. There are too many unknowns when it comes to the rotation at this point. (Although the bullpen problems from last year seem to have been solved) For instance, what if it turns out Walters and Diamond are serviceable big league pitchers? What about Liriano? Third base is another gaping hole. And the Twins don't know if Dozier is the answer up the middle. Right now, if the Twins make a move, I think it looks more like making a move just to make a move, rather than a careful assessment of team needs. Obviously, if another team comes across with a deal that sends a bunch of top flight prospects for, say , Span, then I'm sure the deal would be considered. Anything other than a haul of minor league players probably means the deal won't be done.

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

A full time DH who has started 44 games in left field? People who buy tickets do need something of interest to watch, it's pretty easy to just suggest we trade away every legitimate major leaguer for prospects but it just doesn't work that way. No discredit to Hammer but I have doubts anyone is going to give away the farm to grab him anyway, he did sign with the Twins for 7 per over 3.

#17 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 10,159 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

those of you saying don't trade him, how do they get better next year if they don't trade players? Look at AAA and even AA, where will any players come from, if you don't trade for them?

#18 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

The rotation is fine????? They are worst in the league and were on record pace for futility a few days ago.

At this point all vets should be on the block and they should be building for 2015. Whether they win 40 or 75 games the next two years is meaningless if winning championships is the goal.

#19 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

those of you saying don't trade him, how do they get better next year if they don't trade players? Look at AAA and even AA, where will any players come from, if you don't trade for them?

Well stated. When you have no minor league talent you need to trade to acquire young talent.

#20 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Memo to Terry Ryan: Take all calls please.