Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher of the Month - May

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...f-the-Month-May

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

This is an interesting report and the order is logical. What stands out for me is that the best pitchers in the system do not have great strikeout rates. I wonder how much of this is due to drafting and how much is due to coaching and a pitch to contact mentality. I would love an explanation as to why the Twins don't have at least a couple of top prospects who get lots of strikeouts.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

Most of that is due to drafting. I like these guys, but I am worried about Hermsen and Dean making it to MLB.

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Velocity is important. Topping out someone like Hermsen is Brad Radke, but it could end in Nick Blackburn. Pat Dean might be another Scott Diamond, which is fine, but it just points to DRAFTING college top notch pitchers instead of Buxton and co. and SIGNING one top FA pitcher in the offseason (like Dempster). But oh well . .

#5 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

Hermsen is such a great success story this year. Strikeouts or not, he's still a possibility for the future. Not sure what he tops out at, but with a big 6'5" frame I'd be surprised if he didn't gain a little more zip in the next few months.

#6 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Jermaine still could add a few MPH on his fastball but he seems to be happy getting ground outs. As he progresses he gets better defense behind him so o only expect him to improve

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Jermaine? (If you are talking about BJ Hermsen, BJ stands for Brett Joseph) Good to see Bromberg in this list and good to see him with a K/9 approaching 9. Shibuya and Albers are the only 2 other SPs in the organization with K/9 approaching that benchmark. I have no problem seeing Hermsen topping this list, especially since he made the jump from high A to double A and still getting results (no strikeouts, but...). Albers could had make the list, but who do you take off...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

I usually look at WHIP and K rate for some reason.....not a lot of strikeouts here, which makes me nervous. Not sure how old all of these guys are for their level, so it's hard for me to say a lot about their futures. The WHIP is a bit high on several of them, but again, more mediocre than bad. Not one of these guys looks like a sure fire #3, let alone a #2. That part is pretty scary to me, and points out why they need to take about 100 pitchers next week, because they just don't have many/any with serious upside. If you keep passing on pitchers, "because you can get them later in the draft", this is what you end up with. I'll keep saying it, find a way to get AZ's 2nd or 3rd best minor league pitcher into this system.... All that said, there are some very nice numbers and outcomes here, and these guys all pitched very well in May. I look forward to their progress.

#9 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

GO IOWA. Way to go Hermsen. Someone else's misfortune has turned into success for him. If not for owies/promotions, he'd still be in Ft.Myers. One situation where a forced promotion has paid off. Looking forward to seeing some others get moving soon.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

MWW - for starters, I do tend to look some more at ERA because they're starting most of their own innings. For relievers, it is more about WHIP, but ERA and Ks and stuff matter. This is certainly not a top prospect list, although some will be solid big leaguers, it's just who did well in May. And to me, that's about getting outs, K or otherwise. Prospect lists are more about K rate and such.

#11 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

no question that lack of K's for Hermsen/Dean are troubling......but they get guys out. Rather have that than a strikeout pitcher who gets knocked around. Beggars cant be choosers.

#12 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

great point Seth, thanks. I was trying not to muddy teh conversation with the future....either way, very nice outcomes by these guys this last month, and like I said, I think there is some opportunity here....

#13 Congo Hammer

Congo Hammer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

Oh boy, none have more Ks than IPs...more pitch to impact SPs