Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Sign Undrafted Brandon Poulson

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

He wasn't throwing 100mph during the college season from the sounds of it.If the draft were next week it's likely that he would be drafted but this is exactly the kind of guy that can slip through the cracks of all of the scouting teams.There was absolutely no reason to draft/sign any D2 baseball player just because he's a physical freak.

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

#42 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

As a Twins fan, I hope this works out and he's an All-Star bullpen arm in a couple years.

But I gotta say, if I were a mid-to-low minor leaguer in the Twins organization who worked my butt off for 3-4 years in college, signed for a fraction of what Poulson got and is trying to pay my bills on $1200 a month while putting in 9-10 hour days at the ballpark, I'd be less than pleased to see my organization hand over a quarter mil to a guy based on seeing him throw 18 pitches.

Maybe that's just me.

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#43 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

His name is Robert Paulson!

His name is Robert Paulson!

I mean Brandon Poulson!

"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#44 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

Twins also signed another free agent pitcher that I believe was in the low minors or even independent ball.However I now cannot locate the signing or his name, please help me out here.I believe it happened one day last week.

#45 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

As a Twins fan, I hope this works out and he's an All-Star bullpen arm in a couple years.

But I gotta say, if I were a mid-to-low minor leaguer in the Twins organization who worked my butt off for 3-4 years in college, signed for a fraction of what Poulson got and is trying to pay my bills on $1200 a month while putting in 9-10 hour days at the ballpark, I'd be less than pleased to see my organization hand over a quarter mil to a guy based on seeing him throw 18 pitches.

Maybe that's just me.

I hadn't really thought about it from that perspective. I wonder what A.J. Pederson would think. Would the same apply to international free agents? Many are signed for at 16 and never reach full season ball.

#46 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Here's the story of Sidd Finch for those who don't know it

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sidd_Finch

#47 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

A 40" vertical leap, right? 38" better than Willingham's, right? Maybe they can stand him out at the LF fence when Correia and Burton pitch.

• Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

#48 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,849 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

Poulson was featured tonight on NBC's Nightly News. A nice story. http://www.nbcnews.c...astball-n174366

#49 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

You can't coach speed, and you can't teach a guy to throw 100. I'm glad the Twins went out and made a splash to sign this Poulson guy. Great story. Even if he never goes anywhere, he's already the most exciting pitcher in Elizabethon this season.

#50 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,849 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:34 AM

...besides Nick Gordon...

#51 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

Poulson pitched 1 inning tonight for Elizabethton. 1 IP 0 H 0 R 0 ER 1 BB 0 K

http://www.milb.com/...=g_box&sid=milb

Edited by twinsfan34, 08 August 2014 - 09:09 PM.