Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Sign Undrafted Brandon Poulson

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

I can understand some of the arguments people make against the Twins, and some I even agree with, but I can't say I understand this one (Twins don't look hard enough for talent)... They are in more countries in the world than anyone. They're in the Caribbean and getting stronger. And, they have found several guys from independent leagues and non-drafted situations over the last decade. They have the people out there.

I don't think it's the looking that is the problem - it's the willingness to commit money. Obviously 250K is a drop in the bucket for a professional baseball organization.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#22 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

6'6" 240 lbs with a 40" vertical and ran a 6.6 60 yard dash without warming up, while also being able to throw 100 mph? I'm not sure how you can complain about this signing.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,749 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hard not to love everything about this signing. No matter the rest of his profile (which also seems impressive with him being a fitness nut and very athletic), $250k is nothing for a guy who can hit triple digits.

#24 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hard not to love everything about this signing. No matter the rest of his profile (which also seems impressive with him being a fitness nut and very athletic), $250k is nothing for a guy who can hit triple digits.

Hard to criticize having $250K left over and buying a lottery ticket with it vs. the Pohlad's buying a nice car or boat.My friends and I were joking that he had 31 K's in 37 outs in his town league.I was thinking that a lot of town leagues involve drinking....imagine trying to hit 100 mph after a few. I know I could not hit it sober...

#25 Brian

Brian

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Love the fact that this kid is only now discovering is his talents. No ego there, just child-like amazement and raw work ethic.  

• Stan Zbornak likes this

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,289 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

At 24, he's got a long hard road ahead of him.With his control issues, he isn't going to get rushed.Fast tracking, he gets there at 27/28...That said... Good luck!

#27 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,791 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hard to criticize having $250K left over and buying a lottery ticket with it vs. the Pohlad's buying a nice car or boat.My friends and I were joking that he had 31 K's in 37 outs in his town league.I was thinking that a lot of town leagues involve drinking....imagine trying to hit 100 mph after a few. I know I could not hit it sober...

The league we play in typically has guys throwing in the mid 70's to low 80's. A couple years ago we went up agasint a guy who had just been cut by the Diamondbacks org (tested positive for roids and never posted below a 7.00 ERA in low A ball) dude came out and was throwing 90-92 MPH....we got no hit and absolutely destroyed, I think 3 people total even put the ball in play. I think the guy ended up having a .30 ERA or something insane that season.

I can't even freaking imagine what 100 MPH would look like.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,134 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

This is a great, great story. I hope he gets a shot!

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

This is a great, great story. I hope he gets a shot!

The 100 MPH and being completely unknown left me highly skeptical. Throwing in the supposed 40" vertical from a guy who weighs 240#s and 6.6 60 made me check the calendar and see if it was the first of April.

As Jeremy said, this will be one crazy story that will draw all of us moths repeatedly back to the flame.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#30 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

Certainly a cool story and a good get for the Twins. I'm just curious how this guy went undrafted. I read the stories earlier so maybe I'm not remembering them correctly, but in my recollection he blew scouts away with his size and athleticism, but they were turned off by bad mechanics and poor results in his college season. It just seems like at least one team would take a chance on trying to fix his mechanics to see if they could tap into the potential of this "physical specimen." Seems like it would be abetter use of a pick then a guy who you can pretty clearly see has reached the limits of their physical ability and doesn't project as anything more than organizational filler.

#31 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

The 100 MPH and being completely unknown left me highly skeptical. Throwing in the supposed 40" vertical from a guy who weighs 240#s and 6.6 60 made me check the calendar and see if it was the first of April.

As Jeremy said, this will be one crazy story that will draw all of us moths repeatedly back to the flame.

Certainly a cool story and a good get for the Twins. I'm just curious how this guy went undrafted. I read the stories earlier so maybe I'm not remembering them correctly, but in my recollection he blew scouts away with his size and athleticism, but they were turned off by bad mechanics and poor results in his college season. It just seems like at least one team would take a chance on trying to fix his mechanics to see if they could tap into the potential of this "physical specimen." Seems like it would be abetter use of a pick then a guy who you can pretty clearly see has reached the limits of their physical ability and doesn't project as anything more than organizational filler.

Did you guys read the articles? 8+ ERA in college and a lower 90s upper 80s fastball doesn't get you drafted, plus late entry into the sport.

#32 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Did you guys read the articles? 8+ ERA in college and a lower 90s upper 80s fastball doesn't get you drafted, plus late entry into the sport.

Did you read my post?

#33 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Did you read my post?

Yep. A guy with this physical pedigree should have had his pick of D-1 schools. Football coaches kill to get those type of athletic numbers onto their tight end depth chart. I doubt there are many NFL tight ends that are this athletic.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#34 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

I continually read from the various media prospect guys that people have to be leary of scouting stat lines. It just seems like one of the scouts seeing his build and athleticism would have pondered what he might be capable of with the help of some professional pitching coaches rather than the coaches at an art school.

#35 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,793 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Sidd Finch?

Deadspin had the exact story line...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#36 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,793 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

I continually read from the various media prospect guys that people have to be leary of scouting stat lines. It just seems like one of the scouts seeing his build and athleticism would have pondered what he might be capable of with the help of some professional pitching coaches rather than the coaches at an art school.

His pitching coach was not wielding horse hair paint brushes, believe me ;)

It was a former pro pitcher and of about the same size.When I read that was wondering whether the Twins can get the pitching coach in a package from the Prune Pickers as well...

Edited by Thrylos, 30 July 2014 - 08:01 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#37 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

I am also dating myself. The moment I started reading the article I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st. I was also immediately reminded of the Finch article and was waiting for a punch line that never came.

Count me amongst those not upset the Twins saved some money from their draft pool. Not only did they sign most all of their top picks, but all they missed on, really, was a few HS kids in the late 20's and 30's. And unless signed well over slot, those kids are going to college just about every time. And whether there is a question about future potential, or sign ability, they are picked that late for a reason. The only kid I was rooting for...sorry but I forget his name at the moment...was the 3B heading to Fresno State as they seem to recruit pretty well. NOBODY could have predicted an out of the blue signing like this one, but it shows what being prudent can bring you at times.

This might not just be a fun story. And not just because he can hit a 100. But the fact he seemed to come to the sport late, and missed time, helps mark him as a late bloomer. I think what gives me hope and impresses me is his athleticism and a seemingly strong work ethic. Both of those things could bode well.

Perhaps I missed something and need to read more, but does he have the makings of another pitch or two? Or is he just a FB thrower at this point? No question at 24 that the best and fastest route is as a RP. One more solid pitch, or a pitch and a half to just tease, is plenty to be an effective reliever. If he doesn't make it until 27 or even 28, not only would his arm have fewer innings that a lot of pitchers, but it's really not that old for a RP. A lot of quality relievers seem to arrive a bit later in age, whether they be college players initially, or failed starters who find their role finally. A neat story, and a neat find.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#38 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

Perhaps, I took a cheap shot at the Academy of Art's coaching staff, but Balbuena (the coach credited with helping Poulson) was not his pitching coach at the university.

Anyway, I was just wondering why teams wouldn't at least take a chance with a late round pick on a guy with 'wow factor' athleticism and clearly raw mechanics rather than a clear organizational filler. Likely his age was a deterrent.

In any event, I'm glad that the Twins were able to find and sign Poulson and it will be interesting (and hopefully very exciting) to see his story unfold. A great signing for sure, hopefully with more coaching he can continue to refine his arsenal.

#39 Heistyman

Heistyman

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

The first thing I thought of was Toe Nash.

#40 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

In any event, I'm glad that the Twins were able to find and sign Poulson and it will be interesting (and hopefully very exciting) to see his story unfold. A great signing for sure, hopefully with more coaching he can continue to refine his arsenal.

Sounds like he blossomed from May to July.

But interestingly I think the $250,000 is about the equivalent of 6th round money so it worked out well for him.

• kab21 likes this

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!