Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Sign Undrafted Brandon Poulson

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

APs Janie McCauley wrote a very nice story about the Twins most recent signee. The Twins have signed RHP Brandon Poulson as a non-drafted free agent... and signed him for $250,000. He is a 24-year old who played some ball in Northern California for the Academy of Art University where he posted an 8.38 ERA this last year.

However, in an amateur game, Twins scout Elliot Shrankman saw him and because the Twins had a couple-hundred-thousand dollars left in their draft pool, they were able to sign him over a couple of other teams that also had interest.

A 96-100 mph fastball will do that.

Check out the full story... Lots of great stuff...

http://bigstory.ap.o...ed-24-year-old

#2 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

Here's another story:

http://sports.yahoo....-052923193.html

Sadly- and interestingly- this is going to be the biggest topic of the 2014 Twins season. It's my new focus - something fun.
  • curt1965 likes this

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,406 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

Per the Twins official website, this pitcher (Brandon Paulson) seems like he has a high ceiling, and the Twins have bet $250,000 on him.

What do people think about this move?

Edited by glunn, 30 July 2014 - 12:22 AM.

#4 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

A great white hope for the baseball diamond.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

Why did I feel like I was reading about Sidd Finch?

• Mike Frasier Law and curt1965 like this

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,696 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

I expected an article about Sidd Fynch.

EDIT: Scooped by JB...

Edited by USAFChief, 30 July 2014 - 07:20 AM.

Go Twins!

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

I think this was the story that Seth tried to link:

http://bigstory.ap.o...ted-24-year-old

P.S.  To the mods or whoever is posting the stories.  I LOVE that you are putting the story in the thread but I think that the links are getting broken.  I've noticed this a couple of times in Seth's posts.

Edited by JB_Iowa, 30 July 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#8 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

I expected an article about Sidd Fynch.

EDIT: Scooped by JB...

LOL.  When I finally read the Bollinger piece, I see that apparently others did, too.

Must be those of us of a certain age.   :)

Bollinger piece was orignially posted by Glunn in the Minnesota Twins Talk forum:

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...8&vkey=news_min

Edited by JB_Iowa, 30 July 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Great story, who's not going to cheer for this guy?! 

The timing of this development couldn't have worked out better for the Twins, and frankly, for the Twins, unlucky and poor timing may be the biggest curse this franchise has.  I was previously critical not that the Twins didn't use all their draft money by signing the lowly picked HS kids, but that they didn't draft many HS kids worth signing early. 

By what seems like dumb luck, this guy figures it out and becomes worth the signing bonus AFTER the window of opportunity to sign the draft picks expire, which of course also happens to be the same time that nearly every other team has blown their draft signing allotments. 

As for Paulson, that kind of work ethic so often preceeds success.  He has a long way to go, and almost surely he will struggle early, but it's pretty exciting to think of what could develop with proper coaching.

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

As for Paulson, that kind of work ethic so often preceeds success.  He has a long way to go, and almost surely he will struggle early, but it's pretty exciting to think of what could develop with proper coaching.

Great work ethic but also shouldn't his arm have less "wear and tear" than a typical 24 year olds?

• nicksaviking and Stan Zbornak like this

#11 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Great story - wish the kid a speedy rise through the system.

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

Great work ethic but also shouldn't his arm have less "wear and tear" than a typical 24 year olds?

I would think so, plus the yoga stuff is supposed to keep you limber and healthy until you're 150, or so the yoga types like to preach.

#13 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

That's a pretty cool story.  For those of us who think the Twins don't look hard enough for talent this story seems to prove otherwise.  It is hard to find guys that throw triple digits and it looks like the Twins got three of them this year.  It certainly looks like they are prioritizing power arms these days.  If they can teach this kid how to pitch then this is an excellent deal.  If not it still was a decent risk for a high reward type player.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

That's a pretty cool story.  For those of us who think the Twins don't look hard enough for talent this story seems to prove otherwise.  It is hard to find guys that throw triple digits and it looks like the Twins got three of them this year.  It certainly looks like they are prioritizing power arms these days.  If they can teach this kid how to pitch then this is an excellent deal.  If not it still was a decent risk for a high reward type player.

I can understand some of the arguments people make against the Twins, and some I even agree with, but I can't say I understand this one (Twins don't look hard enough for talent)... They are in more countries in the world than anyone. They're in the Caribbean and getting stronger. And, they have found several guys from independent leagues and non-drafted situations over the last decade. They have the people out there.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, maxisagod and 1 other like this

#15 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

How cool would it be if this kid turned out be like a Chapman type pitcher in Cincy.  You never know...for 250k arms like that just dont appear out of no where.  Time will tell.  GO TWINS!!!

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#16 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

That's true. The Twins aren't ruling out that Poulson (pronounced POLE-son, I checked) could be a starter, but that it would take a long time to get him to the point where he could log a lot of innings. 

The whole story is crazy. Ever heard of a prospect without a ceiling that has a floor that is extremely low? Here's the guy.

EDIT: Just got a text that it's POLE-son, not PAUL-son

Edited by Jeremy Nygaard, 30 July 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#17 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

Nothing to dislike about this move, you can't teach someone how to throw 100 MPH, worst case scenario he fizzes out Shooter Hunt style (without spending as much money and wasting a high draft pick)

Best case scenario: ?????

Mid case scenario: Dude makes it to the majors some day and becomes a RP.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#18 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...8&vkey=news_mlb

6'6" 240 lbs

He boasts a 40-inch vertical and a 6.6-second time in the 60-yard dash, according to Strankman.

Wow. Maybe the Vikings and Timberwolves could use him too.

• gil4 likes this

#19 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,235 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Wow. Maybe the Vikings and Timberwolves could use him too.

David Kahn would've loved this guy!  

• twinsfan34 likes this

#20 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

His delivery is clean and free and easy.

Let's just pretend he came back in any trade the Twins do or don't make. Pretty good get.

• mike wants wins and Monkeypaws like this

#21 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

I can understand some of the arguments people make against the Twins, and some I even agree with, but I can't say I understand this one (Twins don't look hard enough for talent)... They are in more countries in the world than anyone. They're in the Caribbean and getting stronger. And, they have found several guys from independent leagues and non-drafted situations over the last decade. They have the people out there.

I don't think it's the looking that is the problem - it's the willingness to commit money. Obviously 250K is a drop in the bucket for a professional baseball organization.

#22 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

6'6" 240 lbs with a 40" vertical and ran a 6.6 60 yard dash without warming up, while also being able to throw 100 mph? I'm not sure how you can complain about this signing.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hard not to love everything about this signing. No matter the rest of his profile (which also seems impressive with him being a fitness nut and very athletic), $250k is nothing for a guy who can hit triple digits.

#24 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hard not to love everything about this signing. No matter the rest of his profile (which also seems impressive with him being a fitness nut and very athletic), $250k is nothing for a guy who can hit triple digits.

Hard to criticize having $250K left over and buying a lottery ticket with it vs. the Pohlad's buying a nice car or boat.  My friends and I were joking that he had 31 K's in 37 outs in his town league.  I was thinking that a lot of town leagues involve drinking....imagine trying to hit 100 mph after a few. I know I could not hit it sober...

#25 Brian

Brian

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Love the fact that this kid is only now discovering is his talents. No ego there, just child-like amazement and raw work ethic.  

• Stan Zbornak likes this

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

At 24, he's got a long hard road ahead of him.  With his control issues, he isn't going to get rushed.  Fast tracking, he gets there at 27/28...  That said... Good luck!

#27 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hard to criticize having $250K left over and buying a lottery ticket with it vs. the Pohlad's buying a nice car or boat.  My friends and I were joking that he had 31 K's in 37 outs in his town league.  I was thinking that a lot of town leagues involve drinking....imagine trying to hit 100 mph after a few. I know I could not hit it sober...

The league we play in typically has guys throwing in the mid 70's to low 80's. A couple years ago we went up agasint a guy who had just been cut by the Diamondbacks org (tested positive for roids and never posted below a 7.00 ERA in low A ball) dude came out and was throwing 90-92 MPH....we got no hit and absolutely destroyed, I think 3 people total even put the ball in play. I think the guy ended up having a .30 ERA or something insane that season.

I can't even freaking imagine what 100 MPH would look like.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#28 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,441 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

This is a great, great story. I hope he gets a shot!

Lighten up Francis....

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

This is a great, great story. I hope he gets a shot!

The 100 MPH and being completely unknown left me highly skeptical. Throwing in the supposed 40" vertical from a guy who weighs 240#s and 6.6 60 made me check the calendar and see if it was the first of April.

As Jeremy said, this will be one crazy story that will draw all of us moths repeatedly back to the flame.

#30 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

Certainly a cool story and a good get for the Twins. I'm just curious how this guy went undrafted. I read the stories earlier so maybe I'm not remembering them correctly, but in my recollection he blew scouts away with his size and athleticism, but they were turned off by bad mechanics and poor results in his college season. It just seems like at least one team would take a chance on trying to fix his mechanics to see if they could tap into the potential of this "physical specimen." Seems like it would be abetter use of a pick then a guy who you can pretty clearly see has reached the limits of their physical ability and doesn't project as anything more than organizational filler.