Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Patience Paid Off For Gibson

kyle gibson rick anderson gardy options tj surgery
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 6,838 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

We were all musing how good Gibson could be if only he struck out more batters, and this article implies that it is a real possibility!

Maybe the suppressed strikeouts are a result of Suzuki's pitch calling?

Parker wrote a piece in May about how, last year, Suzuki called a lot of fastballs.

http://twinsdaily.co...of-suzuki-r2455

Seems like its still the case.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#22 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

I agree with the premise of the post, as well as Seth's comments.

I think fast promotion or slower, facts, statistics and results can be skewed and used to argue any viewpoint. If Gibson was brought was brought up earlier last season after 6-7 solid starts and stunk, it would be easy to say he was brought up too soon, or the Twins don't know how to develop pitchers. If he came up and pitched well initially before stalling or running out of gas, which he seemed to do last season, it could be argued he was promoted too soon, wasn't real once the league saw him, or the Twins don't know how to develop pitchers. There really is no absolute or easy answer. Forget about talent or potential, these are talented young men who all develop in different ways at different times.

Personally, I believe the Twins handled Gibson perfectly. Early last season he was still in rehab mode, despite mostly positive results at AAA. No matter the results after his promotion, largely un impressive, he gained valuable experience that carried over to this season. And except for a few poor starts that skew his total numbers, he has largely pitched very well this season, and shows real promise for the future. I feel May and especially Meyer, who slightly resembles Gibson's injury setback, will be up soon to finish the year and gain similar experience to build on.

I appreciate but don't buy the Blackburn comparisons at all. Yes, both rely on ground balls, and yes, Gibson's SO numbers aren't yet where we want or expect. But frankly, Gibson is taller, bigger, and has more of a downward plane to his pitches to maintain high ground all rates. Further, his stuff is just harder and faster...nastier in potential...than anything Blackburn ever had. The 7 SO's against KC last night are an example. He will probably never have the pure SO numbers of May or Meyer, but I believe you will see a rise as he gains experience. And again, with his ground all percentage seeming to be something repeatable, that's OK.

I understand this has little to do with your point Doc but I've seen this a lot and felt I need to throw this out there for the community.We as fans need to get away from thinking that height has any influence on ground ball rates.The statistical evidence shows that there is no correlation

#23 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

There was a push among the fans last year to elevate Gibson, sooner rather than later.The Twins waited until midseason, gave him only 10 starts and then basically shut him down.I thought the club was overcautious with an important commodity, but in hindsight it looks like they handled Gibson pretty well. 

Maybe the "go slow" approach is the right one for Meyer and May.

Give them credit for Gibson. I think what drew criticism was that the Front Office explanations for leaving Gibson in AAA last year did not match what was happening during his starts. Gibson was throwing multiple 9-inning complete games even as the FO warned fans about being cautious with his tender elbow. Meyer is a little different story and so far they've managed his progress really well. (But promote him to the majors already, for Pete's sake.)

I'd rather the Twins just say "we're going to take it really slow, so live with it" and stick to that explanation, than to trot out the "consistency" argument after a subpar start, for example.

Results matter and the Twins did well by Gibson. Several young starting pitchers recently have been brought back from TJ faster than Gibson, and then had to go back under the knife. And also Anderson's hard and fast 90-100 pitch limit is probably a good thing too, much as I hate it sometimes.
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

If a guy comes up later than many think and struggles, were the fans wrong?

Only if the fans claimed the guy wouldn't struggle, and I don't think many fans here have made such claims.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Meyer or May struggle like Gibson did in 2013 -- but hopefully they would also then have a clear path to winning a rotation spot next spring and being ready to contribute (if only as a league-average starter) from day 1 of next season, like Gibson too.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#25 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,196 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

I'm not sure I'd compare Gibson and Blackburn, their minor league stats say they have little in common. Gibson could get the Ks in the minors (8/9 IP). That hasn't translated to the majors... yet.

#26 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

I'm not too worried about Gibson; this is a process, and he seems to be out of gas out of gas at this point. I like him going out there, getting stronger by extending himself. If he can top 160 IP this season, and keep a .500 record, and an ERA under 4.5, I expect he will do better next season.

He'll likely never be an ace, but I would like to see the Twins build some continuity in their rotation, and I think he has a place in it as a solid 3-4 guy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, rick anderson, gardy, options, tj surgery