Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Berrios Leaves Game With Apparent Injury

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Obviously this is not good news and hopefully we'll be able to find out it's not a big deal... Let's all hope!

He had struggled in first two innings. Manager came out to check on him and they took him out after 48 pitches.

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

Now is when we pray for a blister on his throwing hand... or calf injury...

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

#@*%)(^)(*#@(*&^%($&!!!!

When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#4 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Worst case scenario is Tommy John right? 

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,115 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

we_cant_have_nice_things.jpg

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Worst case scenario is Tommy John right? 

From a baseball perspective, probably yes.

But, let's not get there quite yet... Need to find out more. Hopefully just precaution... Hopefully!

#7 King

King

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Hey guys, been lurking for a few days.

Love prospects, looking forward to discussing and learning a lot more from all of you.

I saw this on twitter, figured I would share.

I have note here Berrios last FB velo's were 95 94 89 90 89 then exited the game. #twins

Edited by King, 29 July 2014 - 07:41 PM.

• Tibs likes this

#8 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

1. Source tells me it was indeed shoulder tightness that forced RHP J.O. Berrios from tonight's start after 48 pitches.

#9 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

Better than the elbow, at least for now. This is a guy that tired down the stretch last year after putting up a hell of a fight for the first half of 2013. In the immediate future there is nothing to do but rest

[SIZE=2]Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
Better get while the gettin's good
Catch a ride to the end of the highway
Where the neons turn to wood[/SIZE]

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Better than the elbow, at least for now. This is a guy that tired down the stretch last year after putting up a hell of a fight for the first half of 2013. In the immediate future there is nothing to do but rest

I was thinking that as well.  Actually sounds like both he and Kohl Stewart may be getting fatigued.

#11 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

They were going to give him a rest anyway.... probably should have been a start sooner. Lets hope for the best. Shoulder injuries can be tricky. Good news for the Twins is that Alex Meyer responded well this season to whatever treatment they did for him in 2013. At least JO has that going for him.

On a side note. This is one of the things KLaw had against JO. For all the hate he gets around here (justified for being arrogant at times), he does call it like he sees it. Hopefully this is nothing and JO will only miss a couple weeks and finish the year strong.

• PseudoSABR likes this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#12 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

He wore down last year, and he's already surpassed his season total.  As Smurf suggests, rest is totally reasonable and probably in order at this point; let's not forget how young he is, and at double-A...

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

I'm not sure shoulder injuries are better than elbow injuries.  Hopefully he's ok.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

I'm not sure shoulder injuries are better than elbow injuries.  Hopefully he's ok.

I was going to say the same thing - shoulder injuries are notoriously tricky to treat and get past.

Let the kid rest, he's done more than we could've hoped for this year already.

#15 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

1. Morning update on JO Berrios is that he says he feels fine, no pain, no tightness in his shoulder. No further medical evaluation planned.

• Mike Frasier Law and Tibs like this

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

1. Morning update on JO Berrios is that he says he feels fine, no pain, no tightness in his shoulder. No further medical evaluation planned.

I'm glad he's fine, but let's get the eval anyway.  I know Ft. Myers has a ton of retirees, but I'm guessing they can still find at least one doctor willing to squeeze him.

Edit: I guess I'm not sure on the population of the elderly in Conneticut, but perhaps that would be a more appropriate place for a checkup :)

Edited by nicksaviking, 30 July 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#17 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'm glad he's fine, but let's get the eval anyway.  I know Ft. Myers has a ton of retirees, but I'm guessing they can still find at least one doctor willing to squeeze him.

Edit: I guess I'm not sure on the population of the elderly in Conneticut, but perhaps that would be a more appropriate place for a checkup :)

Well, I am no doctor, but it is evident that something happened in that shoulder. I am sure that they are going to check further on this, even when they send the "everything is ok" message. 

#18 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Shoulder injuries are much, much worse than elbow injuries. It seems like they got him out of there pretty quickly once it tightened up. In a situation like that, one pitch can ruin a career.

#19 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

In some ways they are worse. At their extreme, they are career ending-- shoulder surgeries are far less successful than what TJ is today. A lesser percentage of shoulder injuries require surgery, however. It seems like rest is a much more effective remedy for shoulder soreness than elbow soreness. Thus, I was inclined to be slightly relieved to hear it was a shoulder rather than an elbow.

Great to hear the news this morning, obviously.

[SIZE=2]Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
Better get while the gettin's good
Catch a ride to the end of the highway
Where the neons turn to wood[/SIZE]

#20 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

What this most highlights for me is the impact of blogging, twittering and increased prospect scrutiny.

In the days before the advent of so much media coverage, we might never have heard about this unless serious damage is later discovered.

I have to think that pitchers, particularly young pitchers, have experienced occasional shoulder tightness and fatigue for years.

But unless there was a major problem, we just didn't hear about it.  

Now we know as soon as anything happens and it seems like every ache and pain sends a ripple of major concern through the team's community.

I'm just urging all of us to keep things in perspective before we start panicking or cursing the Twins bad luck. 

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

I'm hoping the Twins do the Alex Meyer thing here and shut him down for a bit.  Tightness could simply be not getting loose, or it could be a symptom of something worse.  He's getting close to his workload from last year at this point, so giving him some extra rest is hopefully all that's needed.  I won't feel comfortable though until he's gone a while without any reocrruances. 

#22 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Not saying that the Alex Meyer treatment would be bad here, but...

I thought Meyer's situation was that he felt a twinge in the shoulder when he woke up in the morning, not that he experienced tightness while on the mound. Does anyone else remember the specifics?