Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Public Enemy #1 - Matt Capps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

I will admit that I am not a supporter of Matt Capps, but today I really feel sorry for him. When the Twins seemingly had a good chance to avoid a sweep and a 5 game losing streak, appropriately Matt Capps comes in for the save and gives the game away. Ugghh... Capps has not had a lot of opportunities for a save this season and today he committed his first blown save. Because of this futile team, Capps does not have a lot of room for error. A bad day for MC can be the difference between a 4 and 10 game losing streak. Matt Capps is in a bad position and the microscope is fixed in on him. Failure wise, He has no room to breathe and for him this could be a long, long season baring the brunt of Twins fan's hatred. Like I said I am not a Matt Capps fan, but I certainly feel for him and this situation he is in.

#2 lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

He doesn't deserve 99 percent of the criticism that comes his way.

#3 IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

I agree. Certainly he's not the closer of the future and this will be his last year with the Twins (unless they pick up his $6M option, which I doubt), but I think too many people are judging him on last year. It's a new season - everybody starts fresh, and this year he's been the closer they hoped they were getting when they gave up Ramos (ugh!).

#4 BD57

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

A professional hitter won the battle today. That happens. Very hard to win when your offense only gets you 3 runs.

#5 YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

No one in their right mind can blame Capps for giving up a home run to Miguel Cabrera. One of the greatest hitters in the game came through for his team. It's sad, but it happens.

#6 adjacent

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

I blame him not for the home run, but for throwing a meatball down the middle in those circumstances. And I don't feel sorry for him He gets nice money for being the closer. Mad fans when you blow one comes with the territory.

#7 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Throwing an 0-2 fastball inside to Cabrera is awful pitch selection. Capps and Mauer made a bad mistake there.